Room size and open floor plan question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a open gameroom/cinema in my basement about 30 x25. I have the theater part at the end of the room with risers for the second row of chairs. So it has 3 walls surrounding it the other is open to the bar/gaming area. I have a Denon X4000 receiver with 8060 def tech towers, 8080 center and surrounds. I also have a SVS sb13 ultra sub. I know the open concept is not ideal for audio purposes, but I like the openness of the current set up. I have experimented with many different setups in the av and currently have everything set to small with a 80 crossover. I have to turn the sub up almost all the way to get any sort of kick during movies and the speakers are certainly "loud" enough, but not as crisp and the system doesn't sound as tight as I think it should. Because of the size and openness of the room, do I need more power to the speakers and do I need dual subs? Thank you for the help audio gods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Is your SVS subwoofer in a front corner? If not, move it there for much more output. As for your system not sounding tight, that's surely due to poor room acoustics. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater acoustics too:

Acoustic Basics

It's definitely possible to get stellar results in a room as large as yours.

--Ethan
Shicks2 likes this.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - X4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page