REVIEW INCL. Just got monoprice speaker wire in.....why do you guys reccomend this so much? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #271 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I find it odd that the Belden wire tests nearly 1/3 lower in resistance that is claimed for it. The claimed resistance is essentially standard for 12 AWG wire. I can understand a reputable brand testing a little better because the target size has to be a little bigger to ensure that normal manufacturing variability does not result in a substandard wire, but that much bigger doesn't make sense. I think there are some problems with how it was measured. That said, assuming the testing was consistent, I think the results are meaningful, particularly the ones that are well above standard.

There is more going on with the Fry's and Best Buy wire than being aluminum. The difference in conductivity between copper and aluminum doesn't account for the difference. The cross-sectional area of the wire must be smaller, too, or they are using some weird alloy. This is not a problem just with these two retailers. It is a problem at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. If the label on the spool doesn't say copper, it probably isn't. Beware of familiar consumer brands like RCA, GE. When it comes to speaker wire, they aren't the same brands your father knew.

Kudos, Amir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Perhaps a better reference would be a piece of solid core AWG12 installation wire. No guessing at wire fill % for the stranded wire.
post #273 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
I would guess there is less variability in a solid wire than stranded. But there is really no need for a reference wire. The resistivity, cross-sectional area, etc. of 12 AWG copper wire is well established in ASTM publications. All we need to do is compare observed results to the standard.
post #274 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the effort and expense on this exercise, however I agree with above two posts that Belden should not be the reference "baseline". It would be nice if you add AWG 12 solid copper as reference standard and repost the results, Should be easy to do at this point.

Furthermore, I am curious as to why you are using CL3 rated wire in these results vs. non CL3 rated. I think that could also skew results. Should all be non-PVC jacketed non-CL3 rated wire in my opinion. CL3 never entered the equation until you brought up the Belden 5000UP reference.

Lastly, why did you choose Belden 5000UP (advertised DCR of 1.56) vs. their 5000UE which has 1.6 DCR?

5000UP
5000UE

Edit: Adding to my point on CL rated vs non, Monoprice 12 Gauge non CL rated wire has resistance of .0072 ohms/meter for standard 12 gauge vs. .0054 for CL2 rated.
post #275 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I'm glad that's completely, 100% settled.

rolleyes.gif
post #276 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
We are talking advertised gauge size, not plenum/etc. rating. Gauge is gauge, assuming we're talking AWG. CLx doesn't matter for the question(s) being answered.

And hey, the much more expensive Belden cable I use/mentioned is rated as 1.6 DCR too. Maybe they rounded. smile.gif
post #277 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Thanks for the effort and expense on this exercise, however I agree with above two posts that Belden should not be the reference "baseline". It would be nice if you add AWG 12 solid copper as reference standard and repost the results, Should be easy to do at this point.
Sure. I think I have some solid electrical wire I can test and report back. Not home right now so it won't be for a few days.
Quote:
Furthermore, I am curious as to why you are using CL3 rated wire in these results vs. non CL3 rated. I think that could also skew results. Should all be non-PVC jacketed non-CL3 rated wire in my opinion. CL3 never entered the equation until you brought up the Belden 5000UP reference.
On the first, it just was what I had on hand. Thought the more samples the better. On the Belden, that was because of this thread. If you look early on I picked the first Belden speaker wire that popped up in the search. Since we had done our analysis in this thread based on that, i thought it was good to also test that.

Initially I was just going to test OP's cables which were RadioShack and Monoprice. So the rest of the additions were rather ad-hoc. I am hoping others provide whatever samples they want me to test. I have way too much speaker wire on my hand to buy more smile.gif.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #278 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldxyz View Post

Well, I'm glad that's completely, 100% settled.

rolleyes.gif
Hey, you owe me $200+ for proving your points. biggrin.gif

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #279 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Nice job, Amir. And the responses show why I don't bother to even try to post measurements here.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #280 of 290 Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 173
the mountain has laboured and brought forth a mouse
jeffleonard likes this.
post #281 of 290 Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It would be great if you could also could do a listening test wink.gif
post #282 of 290 Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchking View Post

monoprice stuff rots in the closet and I have the auvio hooked up

Why not just toss the MP, or give it to Goodwill, etc.? It's not very good stuff, I agree. It turns green, and the insulation does not survive in high heat/humidity applications such as cars. Monoprice's "in wall" wire is just fine, but I don't like the zip cord at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

***The coat hanger actually went past the bottom of the graph so whatever story there is on how it sounds is quite suspect.

Careful. You've taken measurements but haven't done any listening tests. All that can be said is that they measure differently, not that they sound different. Chances are much more likely that, for a run the length of a coat hanger, anything will do from an audibility standpoint.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #283 of 290 Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I spent more on my in wall speaker cable not for a audible reasons, but for durability. As stated above, I did not want my wire turning green or have the insulation breaking down. It gets dam hot in my attic.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #284 of 290 Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I hope nobody's using the monoprice zip-cord for in-wall installations! It's not rated for that.

FWIW, stuff I currently use in for my in-wall speakers from Carol. I don't remember the model number but it has thin insulation, a tight jacket, a slight twist, and a CL3P in-wall rating. It was a bit more than $100 for a 250' 12/2 roll. One always underestimates how much wire one needs for a multichannel system, especially if it has 7 or more speakers and 3 or more subs with centrally-located amplification for all of them. So often s 250' roll is a prudent buy.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #285 of 290 Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Hey, you owe me $200+ for proving your points. biggrin.gif

The check is in the mail.
post #286 of 290 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I will send you my 2001 vintage Home Depot "green wire", and some "good" home depot wire also
Dont buy Home Depot speaker wire
Quote:
Mike, if you want to send the wire to me (at least 4 feet of it), I will go ahead and measure it and compare it to other wires I recently tested. There were some real dogs in my testing as indicated by the negative orange bars from big box stores:

I could not find any 12 gauge speaker wire at Home Depot for this testing.
post #287 of 290 Old Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great. I will have to put my fixture together to test this but it is worth getting some data on "green wires."

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #288 of 290 Old Today, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For how an EE did DIY low resistance measurements see photos 19, 20 & 21.

http://www.beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html

Kevin
post #289 of 290 Old Today, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

http://www.beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html
There are countless DIY schemes on the net. The reason for them is that a milliohm meter like I have, is a very specialized tool and unless your job depends on small measurements, you are not going to go and get one.

His method is the same one I used by the way (which is industry standard). It is a Kelvin measurement system which I described in my test notes. The difference is that my meter implements it and hence, doesn't require any math to figure out the wire resistance. The math is trivial but when you are doing a lot of experimentation, it becomes a bit tedious.

Also, picture 19 simply shows a four pin resistor which makes measuring its small resistance easier. It has nothing to do with measuring wires.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #290 of 290 Old Today, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Taking low resistance measurements is easy, you just use a meter capable of doing so. Mine is accurate to .001 ohms, and to be sure of an accurate result you calibrate it to account for the resistance of the test leads. Rocket science it ain't.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page