THX and DOLBY subwoofer placement recommendations - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
THX says to place the sub in the center of screen wall, and Dolby says to place it on screen wall, away from a corner.

Do you agree with this?

How close to a corner is "too close"?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105

I wouldn't worry about what those sites say. The only way to know where a subwoofer should go is to try it. Do the subwoofer crawl to find the best location OR buy a USB calibrated mic and download REW for free and take in room frequency response measurements. Some times corner loaded is best some times 1/3 the wall's distance from the corner is best, sometimes the best spot could be on a side wall or rear wall or rear corner. I have dual subs (which I will never go back to a single sub again) my subs in my room sound best with 1 sub up front on the front wall between the front left speaker and the TV/center speaker and 1 sub behind the corner of my L shaped sectional couch so that sub is on the right side wall about 2/3 the way back.

Also you MLP (main listening position) is just as important as sub location. If you are sitting in a null then you need to move your seating. You should never sit at the half way point front to back in your room you should sit in either 1/5 or 1/3 increments so that also means you shouldn't be sitting up against a rear wall or you will be sitting in a bass mode/peak.

craig john likes this.

Shawn
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
My sub is placed right in the corner about 4 inches from each wall. That is actually a fairly common placement.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Depends on the sub. If it didn't have much output, I would put it in a corner to boost the bass. If the sub had plenty of output, I would put it at the centre of the screen wall (or back wall).

Sanjay
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks guys. I have the BIC F12 sub in our theater. It's in the corner of rear wall, about 6" from rear wall and side wall.

What's the main benefit of using 2 subs? My room is only 13' X 17'.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Two subs, properly placed, can results in smoother bass AND greater consistency from seat to seat.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page