Please help with crossover.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, i apologize for the long post. So I've read most of the articles that were posted to get slightly familiar with the subject and I'm definitely looking forward to becoming more experienced, but in the meantime I had a quick question. As mentioned in my previous topic, I have the Nanosat Premiere 5.1 system and just purchased an Energy Sub. I've already been told that they aren't great speakers, but I have a relatively small room and will at least try them out with my new sub and receiver before replacing them as they were not cheap when I got them. Anyway, I've been wondering about a few things and wanted to see if I can get some answers before getting my new woofer.

The nanosat website says that the frequency level goes from 110-20k Hz. A lot of sites have said to set the crossover point at the lowest that the speaker can go, which is 110 in my case if I understand correctly. I was just wondering of this stressed the speaker out being at its max, or if 120 may be a better option/make a noticeable difference. after reading quite a few sites it seems to be a general consensus that TYPICALLY setting all speakers at the same crossover across the board. Now from what I understood, the lower number in terms of the Hz able to be produced by the speakers equaled the amount of "bass sound" that the speaker could produce. That's why I figured that if the limit was 110hz to produce the most "bass" then it would be stressing it to put it at flat out 110, no? If not a 110 max crossover point, what are recommendations?

I'm reading and loving the info but just want to verify a few things. I don't want the noise that could be present if i have to set the woofer up to cross at 120 for the little Mirages and it actually hurt the performance of some speakers i just bought (and saw nothing but positive comments for - the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR...) that can actually hit 55hz. If it would be affecting those, i would just switch the crossover to 60-80 for the Pioneers and let the Mirages do their own thing, but i just bought the Pioneer SC-71 receiver and i think you can set each channel separately. Would you do the Mirage ones at 120 and the LCR Pioneers at 60, 70 or 80? I know that the Pioneers aren't the best out there, but again, they got decent-awesome reviews from everywhere that i looked online, they werent expensive, and I can see if I hear a difference...enough to pursue even better options. Mind you, the room I'm trying to do is a basement with the Mirages in the ceiling creating an area between the of about 15'x15', so I'm sure i wont be blasting them, but looking to hear a difference in performance. Also, I'm in a basement that HAS open space to the left and behind my listening area, so if worse comes to worse and you think it'd be dumb to try to set it up in that space i can always expand the distance on the sides of the tv with the LR speakers. I figure that if i don't like them, i can always send them back or use them for surrounds. What do you think about The scenario as a whole??

Finally, if my Mirage ones have a max of 110 and I set them at 120 crossover, the sub would obviously take over there. Does any speech in movies use those frequencies that would disappear due to the high crossover at 120? The same for the center speakers since i believe alot of vocals come out of them....could crossover cut out vocals? Thank you for any advice on this exhausting topic lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
See my reply here. smile.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
First of all, the range for speech is from 130 Hz to around 2500 Hz, so 120 is low enough for that. Only a deep bass voice is much below 200 Hz.

A center speaker should handle that for the most part. A center speaker should ONLY operate from 120 Hz up IMO for best clarity.

Front speakers should go much lower to provide some rich STEREO sound in the midbass, and then the subwoofer should ONLY operate below the low limit of the front speaker.

The Pioneer speakers would be much better for the front if they can go down to 70, instead of only 110, but front speakers that can go down to 50 will give a much fuller richer sound overall.

When a subwoofer has to operate in the midbass region (60 to 100 Hz) to make up for deficiencies in the bass response of the front speakers, there is a definite loss of overall sound quality, because then your midbass sound is MONAURAL and coming only from the subwoofer, and this is poor.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer Elite Sc 71

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page