Took the advice, Setup my room between absorption and diffusion. WOW - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Took the advice, Setup my room between absorption and diffusion. WOW
Michael Adkins's Avatar Michael Adkins 09:46 PM 03-19-2014

So i been struggling getting things to sound good in my room.   Just funky sound. Really did not seem to have that surround effect. Room seamed flat! I changed speaker locations speaker brands eq settings crossovers you name it.

After getting ready to give up I figured let me listen to the pro's. Watched some videos on the matter.  Went out and made 2d and 3d reflection panels and absorption panels..

First thing i noticed was the room sounded different just sitting in it. Talking everything.  The fan on my projector which was non existent before seemed loud now.

I popped in a live track, Adel performing live @ the Royal Albert Hall.  Right away I noticed a ton of things. ONE, some of my speakers were rattling against the wall. Stuffed a paper towel between wall and mount quick to kill noise. TWO, My surround speakers seemed LOUD, TO loud i had to lower almost 6db.

Once I made some tweaks the room just lit up.  I know could tell there was a left center and right channel. It sounded like I was standing in the theater with her.  My center speaker always seemed to have this raspy distortion to it.  Now Deeper tones and it sounded so full.

This was what I have been searching for! ALL ALONG.  This goes to show you that the room is the MAIN component in your system. No matter what speakers what amps you have a untreated room kills these wonderful products.

I spent under 500.00 In materials and did it myself.  And if I would spend double or triple this to get these effects. 

If you are here wondering does it really matter? Is it worth it....    DO IT! Do your speakers a favor, DO yourself a favor your not allowing your speakers to do what they were designed to!

Thanks for all the help. I cant believe it sounds the way it does now!

I still need to cover the panels. But for now I found I could not leave the room!  Enjoy guys I hope this helps someone else find the hidden sound!

tacodan's Avatar tacodan 07:40 AM 03-20-2014
Where did you get the info on how prepare the room. I don't even know what are "2d and 3d reflection panels and absorption panels". I feel my room needs some treatment.
trueno92's Avatar trueno92 07:42 AM 03-20-2014
needs pics and links to videos of what you were talking about...
Ethan Winer's Avatar Ethan Winer 11:31 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Adkins View Post

This was what I have been searching for! ALL ALONG.  This goes to show you that the room is the MAIN component in your system. No matter what speakers what amps you have a untreated room kills these wonderful products.

Testify brother!

For the others, here are some links. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater acoustics too:

Acoustic Basics

These articles and videos explain more:

How To Set Up A Room
Early Reflections
All About Diffusion
Hearing is Believing

Again, some of the material addresses recording studios, but it all applies to your rooms too.

--Ethan
tacodan's Avatar tacodan 07:52 PM 03-20-2014

Thanks guys, you really saved me from going the wrong way!

tacodan's Avatar tacodan 06:55 AM 03-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Adkins View Post

After getting ready to give up I figured let me listen to the pro's. Watched some videos on the matter.  Went out and made 2d and 3d reflection panels and absorption panels..

Real Traps are very expensive. You said you did it yourself. Can you tell us where did you get the info on what materials you used and how to build the panels?

Thanks!

Michael Adkins's Avatar Michael Adkins 07:54 AM 03-21-2014

I will gladly make a little write up.   I been very busy with work. But pictures of building process and more info to come! :)

Michael Adkins's Avatar Michael Adkins 12:05 PM 03-27-2014

Michael Adkins's Avatar Michael Adkins 01:04 PM 03-27-2014

Paint and fabric coming soon but setting up panels and MIC'ing the room. So far i have lowered some freq by -15 db at delayed points of 60MS plus.

Really working well.

jamhead's Avatar jamhead 01:57 PM 03-27-2014
Excellent work on the diffusion!

I can see why you were having problems after looking at your room.

One thing you can add, as time and $$ allows, is bass trapping. That made, by far, the biggest impact on sound in my room. Not only did it help lower frequencies, but also the mids and highs.

Good job!
Up
Mobile  Desktop