Looking for help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently moved in to a new home with my S/O and 3 young children. The new home has a very strange living room design and I'm trying to figure out some kind of speaker placement for a budget 2.1 setup. Ideally I'll find placement for two budget floorstanding speakers and a budget receiver ($800ish limit). I'm not sure if the room will accomodate the placement, and may have to mount a pair of decent satellites instead. The speakers will be used primarily for movies and gaming, but when I'm home without the kids I like to play music and I run lossless audio on a set of audiotechnica 900s running off of a headphone amp currently, so I would like to retain decent levels of fidelity.

I was hoping to get some feedback on placement and speaker/receiver suggestions that will be friendly to my budget, my ears, and my room.

If I have to go satellite/bookshelf I can move them back to rears when I go full 5.1 as my budget frees up.

Here are front/rear room pics for reference.

Sorry if the picture quality and post formatting are poor, this is being written and sent from my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

For reference's sake, the television is a new 60" Sharp SQ15u.  Mounting the television is a consideration to free up space on the stand, but the mount and cable kits will have to come out of the budget as well.  

Thanks in advance!

post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I would leave the TV where it is, because you may not want it any higher than it is.

You can get the Sony STR-DH130 stereo receiver for only $120.

It can be replaced by a 5.1 receiver later, and this will give you an inexpensive starter with good power.

Or you could get the Harman-Kardon AVR 700 for $230, which is 5.1.

With small children maybe you should mount a pair of speakers on the wall above/behind the TV.

You could install a solid wood shelf the same width as the TV on the wall to hold the speakers using shelf brackets.

Lay the speakers on their sides so they are just above the TV.

That will avoid using any of your limited floor space and be totally inaccessible to the rug rats...lol.

A pair of Monitor Audio BX-2 speakers are $489; I would suggest those. They are front-ported, which is what you definitely want for that setup.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions - I hadn't considered mounting above the TV. I was considering placing floor standings about two feet forward of the tv and about a foot away from the walls for some breathing room.

I'm sitting roughly 12 feet away so I'm thinking have the speakera in front of the TV shouldn't hurt.

I do like the idea of childproofing though. Especially with a 5 year old in the mix. My concern with bookshelves is going to be related to poor lows. I'm not sure if my budget will allow for a sub (yet). This is made worse by living in central NH where demoing anything becomes a day trip to southern nh, and still being limited to bestbuy magnolia shops.

I may run to Manchester and try to demo a few energy and deftech bookshelves and maybe consider soundbars (which may also be an option, but not one I'm super fond of). I have that buyers itch going on. Having a new TV always does this to me smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

With small children maybe you should mount a pair of speakers on the wall above/behind the TV.

This can be a good strategy even if there aren't kids and pets to mangle the speakers.

It is called soffit mounting.
Quote:
You could install a solid wood shelf the same width as the TV on the wall to hold the speakers using shelf brackets.

One place to find great shelves and brackets for good prices is Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10398/

Our speaker shelf is based on these brackets:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10136135/

They are cast metal and as strong as whatever you screw them to.

The 3 section shelf is about 12' long and uses two of these brackets that connect two shelves together. It is just below the ceiling. The speakers are angled down so that they are pointed at the listener's ears. The location at the junction of the wall and ceiling kicked up the bass, but Audyssey fixed that right up.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50169001/

We coordinated the brackets with the studs because there is > 100 pounds of speaker up there.

The solid wood shelves we use are no longer in iKea's catalog but any good slab of real wood or plywood (MDF - not so much) about 11.5" wide and about 1" thick will do.
Quote:
Lay the speakers on their sides so they are just above the TV.

Regrettably this is disastrous advice. One way to ruin good speakers is to use them in a different orientation then they were designed for. Only a few speakers are designed to be used in more than one orientation. Good speakers are designed with their location with respect to the floor and their orientation, as a critical part of their design. I resolved that problem by using 3 center channel speakers for L C and R, namely the Primus PC351. This will only work with good center channel designs, specifically not those that are just MTMs laid on their side.

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs

Recommended:

Not recommended:

The reason why in a nutshell:

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page