Question on combining multiple HDMI sources (audio & video + audio only) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a complete brain fart here for something that is probbably stupidly simple, and I tried searching before making this thread but didn't find anything relevant.
So sorry if this is the case tongue.gif

Display Device: LG LM7600
HDMI Source Devices: Denon 4520CI, PC (Nvidia GTX 770) , Consoles (PS3/PS4/WII-UX360).
9.2 speaker setup (11.2 soon, saving for another amp and more SEOS components biggrin.gif), all amp channels in use (no Zone 2/3/4) as I'm upmixing all sources via DTS Neo: X.

Here's what I'm wanting to accomplish.
When I'm playing console games, sometimes I want to listen to music (on the pc, lossless rips of vinyls, SACDs and DVD-A's along with my MP3 collection).
My current method involves rerouting the PS3 from the AVR and going straight to the TV, eleminating my multi-channel game audio and the TV speakers are TERRIBLE (not playing sounds under 100hz, makes BOSE seem amazing).

I'd like to mix my PC audio in with console audio and video.
Setting up a Zone 2/3/4 for just my PC is not something I want to do as that requires I give up some speakers from the Main Zone. Defenetly not an option when I want to listen to my multichannel music while playing.

Only options I can think of at the moment involve an HDMI splitter/switch/matrix box or a sound card with HDMI input.

I know HDMI splitter/switch/matrix boxes can do the same input to multiple outputs, but do any take multiple digital (HDMI) inputs and send them to one or more outputs?

How would the sound card option work? I don't even need their DAC, the AVR does that job, unless it's required to decode the PCM audio from the consoles first before mixing/combining with the PC audio.
Since consoles would be outputing audio + video, what happens to the video portion of the signal? Is it ignored or passed through to the video card? If no, a box of sorts should should remedy this, no?(PC video > TV & PC audio -> AVR).
Most importantly, can this method produce the results I'm looking for?

Are there any other options I can consider?

OT: is it possible to have discrete 9.x/11.x playback in windows? I realize there is hardly any discrete 9.x/11.x content sources, merely curious is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Seems like you need something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JTQUYG?pc_redir=1396139136&robot_redir=1
post #3 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

Seems like you need something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JTQUYG?pc_redir=1396139136&robot_redir=1

That is only a splitter.

Just to clarify, I'm wanting to merge my PC audio with my consoles video + audio. Both are digital signals.
I don't want console video with PC audio, I can already do this.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43

Ah, OK so you want something like

Source 1 audio + Source 2 audio + Source 1 video into a single HDMI stream.

Also as it is gaming I guess you want zero lag.

The former can be done with some of the top of the line JAP and Snap and Binary matrixes but there is a decode / reencode in the process.

http://www.video-storm.com/Downloads/hdmi_matrix.htm

http://www.justaddpower.com/product-range.html

post #5 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, but I can always use a splitter to get a separate video line if it's not possible to keep it all in one line.

Ideally I'd like no lag, but I figured there would be some processing required, and as long I can keep it 32ms I can deal with it (matching my TV's delay from using color calibration settings not avalible in PC/game modes. Gotta have accurate color).

In short I really just want to combine the two audio streams, I have controls to sync audio to video via AVR. I should probably ask this on the HTPC section to see what anyone thinks about doing this, if possible, with a soundcard.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page