Help with audio for small fitness club - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work in a small fitness club and the owner has bought two new tvs (Samsung smart tvs, not sure if model #). What would be the best way to get audio from the tvs to our cardio equipment? Is there an app on the tv that would blutooth it to smart phones? Or some device that would hook to the tv that would do this?

Suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

I work in a small fitness club and the owner has bought two new tvs (Samsung smart tvs, not sure if model #). What would be the best way to get audio from the tvs to our cardio equipment? Is there an app on the tv that would blutooth it to smart phones? Or some device that would hook to the tv that would do this?

Suggestions please.

BT isn't a broadcast technology. It's meant to "pair" between two devices.

There were a number of systems when I had my club. Cardio Theater is a popular one. They consist of a transmitter that connects to the audio out of the TV, and wireless receivers that attach to each cardio machine. The added benefit of this potential ancillary sales of headphones in the pro-shop.

They also have FM versions which transmit those with FM on their personal devices, but this is getting pretty rare nowadays.

The real trend is "personal viewing systems", where each cardio station has an LCD screen broadcasting TV and even club announcements and promotions. Most cardio manufacturers have screens as an option. These can be pretty pricey, especially for small clubs on a tight budget. I designed and installed my own and the benefit was immediate and significant. Something to consider in the long term.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Suggestions please.

This is an interesting idea. First to mind is a network player of some sort.

This Cambridge model has RCA inputs you can utilize from the Samsung's audio outs. The patron will need to install an app to use it.

If you are ambitious you could also check out some H.264 or other network media encoders (there are many and I do not know of one that only does audio). The user interface could be a local (to the network) http site the patron loads on their local device - no apps to download. 

With either of the above solutions a local network will need to be installed to which the users connect. There will almost certainly be audio latency as well. Either of the above solutions will also cost over $1000 for each audio stream so these are not the most economical appliances, but there are many other devices that do this so you can probably find one significantly less expensive.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for help. I'm not wanting to put $1000 into something like this. Was hoping there was a device that I could buy for hundred bucks or so that would transmit the audio wireless to a receiver that could be heard through headphones. Can't go the way of an Fm transmitter either.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Thanks for help. I'm not wanting to put $1000 into something like this. Was hoping there was a device that I could buy for hundred bucks or so that would transmit the audio wireless to a receiver that could be heard through headphones. Can't go the way of an Fm transmitter either.

You could scour Craigslist for used Cardio Theater or Broadcast Vision systems. They wouldn't go for much.

Brand new, the transmitter was 500.00 and receiver units were about 100 to 150 each. This was about ten years ago.