Rear speaker location in an oddly shaped room -- Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All,

I am having some issues deciding where I should put my rear speakrs (in a 5.1 setup) in my living room. I currently have a center channel right under the TV, and left and right a few feet away mounted on the wall. I'm totally unsure of where the best place would be for the two rear channels. I'm not opposed to putting them in the ceiling (as I think that's the only logical place for them to be). I have attached a pdf of the layout. The area underneath what i drew is the dining room, then kitchen. There is no wall to mount a rear speaker on that side. 

living room layout: http://imgur.com/k31GYUH

If clarification is needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I've used ceiling mounted in-wall speakers for the surround channels in two of my HT installs and was happy with the results - except for the vibration in the ceiling. There isn't a lot of low bass in the surround channels if you are using bass management to send it to the sub, but if you are using speakers with larger low frequency drivers you are still going to get too much vibration. The solution is to find speakers with built-in in-wall enclosures or find speakers with available "back boxes".

Not only will there be a lot less vibration, the speakers will perform better because they have a rigid enclosure with the correct internal volume. I don't know your budget or what you are using in the front, but I have heard that Triad makes some of the best in-wall models with available back boxes. My surround / rear speakers are Def Tech UIW RSSII speakers which have built-in in-wall enclosures. I actually auditioned them sitting on stands and used ladders to temporarily position them when deciding where to make cutouts - they sounded great sitting on speaker stands. Try that with a regular in-wall / in-ceiling speaker! I also liked that they are bipoles and spread the sound out.

Your other problem (same as me) is that your seating area is right up against a wall. This is how both of my rooms were as well. I spaced the surround speakers to the edges of the seating area and about 18" from the rear wall so that some of the sound could reflect off the wall for a more diffuse sound field - worked well except for the vibration. My current room with the in-wall enclosures is far superior to what I got previously with no speaker enclosures - I am quite happy with the results.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD