My side surrounds sound odd.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only way I can describe the way my side surround speakers sound is that it doesn't sound like the sound is coming from the speaker itself, but from somewhere in between the speaker and my ears, almost like the left and right speakers are out of phase from each other. Could this be the case or possibly reflections causing this anomaly?

I don't know any other way to describe it smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Are your surround speakers direct radiating design or bipole or dipole design? You aren't supposed to be able to tell where the surround speakers are located - that is the ideal - so I'm not sure what else to ask.

Have you tried just connecting them to the front L/R outputs of your amp and seeing if they sound strange? Do you get a nice full range sound down to the mid-bass or do they sound thin? Could be out of phase. Also try with bass heavy music playing one side at a time with the balance knob - do you get more bass when only one speaker is playing?

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 838
One would expect some phase cancellation from dipoles but most of them have the radiators aimed away from each other so it shouldn't be too bad. My surrounds are also dipole and they work just fine for me. Most of the surround content is what I refer to as ambience. It isn't really directional. If the surround channel has a specific sound like a door closing or a dog barking then that should be directional and you should be able to place it left or right. Do you get the lack of directionality with specific sounds as well.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't remember noticing too much of an issue with basic ambient sounds but when you get "wind" or "woosh" style sounds that are fairly loud and last more than half a second, the effect is noticeable. I seem to notice it a lot in movie previews that have surroundsound, probably because most of the preview is action/intense driven.

They are a dipole tweeter design, single woofer, dual tweeters.

It's not that I'm expecting to hear exactly where on the wall that the sound is coming from, but instead, sense that the sound is coming from past the wall, not in front of the wall, it just sounds off. I know that the surround speakers are roughly 6 feet away from my head, but sometimes they sound like they are literally a foot away from my head.

Haha, man this is hard to describe.

There is a very good chance that it is just reflections from the opposite wall interfering with the oncoming sound that is causing the effect. I say this because when I play the AVR test tones out of the left or right speaker only, I can hear the reflection from the opposite wall..
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 260
You have a serious placement problem there.

Bipolar speakers are very tricky and just don't work well in many rooms, for the very reasons you are experiencing; too many reflections.

I suggest that you replace them with standard speakers.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
But they are dipole, not bipole. Big difference.
And if properly setup, with the tweeters facing front and back, they should do a good job diffusing the sound.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry, they are bipole I believe, not dipole. They aren't high end speakers, "HiFi Works" to be exact. I can swap them with my rear surrounds as those are regular in wall surround speakers and see if they sound any different.

I'll keep this updated smile.gif
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page