Choosing and positioning surround speakers for an asymmetrical space? Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-31-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, all...first post, and I'm a noob regarding home theater audio, but doing my best to drink from the firehose of information I've been exposing myself to the last few days.

I'm turning a large-ish (is 24 x 20' medium? large?) basement main area into a semi-dedicated front-projection theater space for which it is almost very well suited.

The screen will not be centered on the end wall, but instead centered between a side wall and a doorway, meaning that the seating will not be centered side to side in the space.

Further complicating things is that the closer side wall (to the left of the audience) is a blank canvas, but the farther side wall is interrupted by three doorways and a staircase.

I'd like to accomplish a 7.1 system in this space, but will certainly settle for 5.1 if it simply makes more sense given speaker mounting or acoustic limitations.

My wife is very accommodating regarding speaker placement and mounting, but would like to avoid walking down the stairs and immediately seeing a speaker hanging there.  I tend to agree with her, and the plan should clarify what I mean.

I'm not sure where to locate my speakers, particularly with regard to the sides and maybe rears.  Monopoles firing straight forward from the distant rear walls?  Bipoles mounted on the distant rear wall?  Something mounted closer to the audience, angled down from the 9' ceiling?  Will one side wall being 50" farther away make a mess of the acoustics?

No audio equipment has yet been purchased, so any and all advice is appreciated, including thoughts on amplifiers that might help me compensate for any compromises.  Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I've seen suggestions to use the official Dolby Surround web site for speaker placement:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html?utm_source=lifehacker+newsletter&utm_campaign=afe89e671b-ua-142218-1&utm_medium=email

This says that the surround speakers should be at 90 to 110 degree - as you say that may be difficult with your doorways on one side and windows on the other. The back surrounds will be easy as the rear wall is whole and quite a distance away which is ideal. You could put the surround speakers at the edge of the stairs and just behind the windows and "hide" them in a fake column - same with the rear speakers. That always looks nice and makes the room look more like a theater.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 3 Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks very much for the response, the thoughts, and the link--I'm surprised I hadn't seen that one yet.

The fake columns idea is interesting, but would still leave the right speaker 50" or so farther away than the left, unless I put the column 50" or so away from the wall.  That would be odd enough on its own, but that it would also be the first thing seen at the bottom of the stairs makes it extra strange--and unlikely to score a high Wife Approval rating ;)

It looks to me like going from 5.1 to 7.1 in my room is a snap, but awkwardness of positioning that right surround is making even getting to well-configured 5.1 a challenge.

Maybe I really need to build a wall.  Or a partial wall?  I'm not sure that's realistic, but now I'm certainly thinking about it...

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page