Sound absorption panels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everybody, 

It's my first post - hopefully this is a good place for it.  

I wanted to put some cheap sound absorption panels together, to help with audio in my basement (panel walls, soon-to be-hard floors).  I was considering putting some Home Depot sound Absorption panels behind some large canvas prints from Costco.  I've read on other forums that canvas isn't a good idea to cover sound absorbing foam because it would reflect sound, and people mentioned that the rule of thumb was being able to breath through the material.  

Well, the Costco photo canvas is not hard to breathe through to me.  I wouldn't want to run with it over my head, but I can easily take a deep breath through it.  I was wondering what anyone thought about putting an inch of foam behind it.  It costs on average about $100 total for a 24x32 photo for ($63 photo, $25 for 1" of foam in back) vs roughly twice that for a company that would print something on an acoustic panel.  It's also about as easy a DIY project as you can get, since putting the foam behind the canvas will be a piece of case, as it's empty back there already.  

I am piecing together a home theater in my basement.  Eventually, I will be replacing the moldy carpet with some vinyl wood veneer flooring, which I expect will add a lot of echo, and the seating will be at the opposite end of the from the speakers, which I think has the potential to create a lot of echo.  

Any advice?  Or suggestions on how to test it out? I have one canvas photo already of my wedding photo - not going in the basement :-).  I can get the Home Depot sound panels, but I doubt one will be enough to test out in the actual room.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube Dude View Post

Hey everybody, 

It's my first post - hopefully this is a good place for it.  

I wanted to put some cheap sound absorption panels together, to help with audio in my basement (panel walls, soon-to be-hard floors).  I was considering putting some Home Depot sound Absorption panels behind some large canvas prints from Costco.  I've read on other forums that canvas isn't a good idea to cover sound absorbing foam because it would reflect sound, and people mentioned that the rule of thumb was being able to breath through the material.  

Well, the Costco photo canvas is not hard to breathe through to me.  I wouldn't want to run with it over my head, but I can easily take a deep breath through it.  I was wondering what anyone thought about putting an inch of foam behind it.  It costs on average about $100 total for a 24x32 photo for ($63 photo, $25 for 1" of foam in back) vs roughly twice that for a company that would print something on an acoustic panel.  It's also about as easy a DIY project as you can get, since putting the foam behind the canvas will be a piece of case, as it's empty back there already.  

I am piecing together a home theater in my basement.  Eventually, I will be replacing the moldy carpet with some vinyl wood veneer flooring, which I expect will add a lot of echo, and the seating will be at the opposite end of the from the speakers, which I think has the potential to create a lot of echo.  

Any advice?  Or suggestions on how to test it out? I have one canvas photo already of my wedding photo - not going in the basement :-).  I can get the Home Depot sound panels, but I doubt one will be enough to test out in the actual room.  

Would sites like these give you more latitude as to the acoustical transparency of the fabric?

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

http://www.fabricondemand.com/

http://www.first2print.com/
post #3 of 3 Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anything is better than nothing, but the acoustic transparency of the canvas will change (becoming more reflective) once it has a picture printed on it. Also, you're correct in that you will be creating more reflections by replacing carpet with vinyl flooring. Without seeing pics and/or diagrams of your space it's hard to make specific suggestions. Perhaps a large rug on top of the vinyl flooring to soften the first reflection points and add in a few generic panels to supplement your printed panels?

Yubbie
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page