to much sub and not enough front room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Not sure if my crappy drawing will help or not but I was rushed to ask the question before I had to go to work I plan on making an easier to view drawing later but I'm running two sw450 subs and one rw12d sub. I have an odd front room with only one corner that can be used due to having two entry doors (stupid) but I started with the big sub and had alot of nulls then 2 subs now finally 3. The two sw450s are butted up with the ports firing opposite direction and now I finally have pretty full and even bass. The only other placement I can put one of the subs is in the top left corner of the drawing but makes it hard due to the dumb 2nd door will be inop at that point which the wife is fighting to keep open. My issue is I'd rather not have those two subs pretty much on top of each other but every single other place I can put them makes no bass at all except for that dang doorway corner. Any suggestions? If it matters the mains are kf28s with a denon e300 and some little Polk surrounds one the wall even with back of couch. I hope all this makes since but looking at this post looks very confusing and I live here lol. Below are some actual pictures of the room...as long as I did it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbme View Post

I'd rather not have those two subs pretty much on top of each other but every single other place I can put them makes no bass at all except for that dang doorway corner. Any suggestions?
Can you move one of the SW450 subs to the opposite side wall, right next to the table? This will put two subs in-line with the listeners and help cut down on some of the peaks & nulls across the listening area.

Sanjay
Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I want to do and it sounds great there but gets in the way of that stupid placed door. I'm pretty sure that were its gonna go but it has to be in the door way area cuz a foot one way or the other the bass disappears
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a doorway near your left surround speaker? I was suggesting you place the SW450 subs in-line with the main seating, which would put them under each surround speaker. Is that possible?

Sanjay
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm an idiot I didn't try there. Ill have to do that this weekend and see.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

IF the bass sounds quieter, it might be because some of the peaks have been knocked down. Re-run calibration so that the bass level is back where you like it.

Sanjay
Old 04-04-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The shape of my room is similar to yours. I'm using four large subwoofers. I have limited areas to place my subwoofers. Here's what happened in my situation and I think it will help you. At first I had three subwoofers on the front wall. One subwoofer on the inside of my mains right next to my equipment rack. The third sub was in the corner where your sub is. The fourth sub was on the right wall just outside the corner firing into the room. This placement caused to phase issues with my mains and center. So I reset the subwoofer distance to get the phase time aligned better with my center channel and mains. I had a guess that the sub on the right wall was still out of phase and causing some cancellation issues. So I stacked the fourth subwoofer in the corner on top of the third subwoofer. This was the perfect placement. Once I did that the bass was even better. It was tighter even though both subwoofers are corner loaded.

I would suggest that you put the larger sub on the outside of the left main. Then stack the other two subs in the right corner. I have a feeling that those two subwoofers being that far down that right wall facing each other is causing some phase and cancellation problems.
thisbme likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've got some vacation coming up and gonna be doing alot of room rearranging to and trying some placement changes
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbme View Post

Yeah I've got some vacation coming up and gonna be doing alot of room rearranging to and trying some placement changes

Before you do a lot of experimentation, you might want to invest in a MiniDSP 2x4 box to have on hand. I presume you have a measurement mic and REW or a equivalent piece of software on hand. My experience suggests deploying the speakers widely separated and applying parametric eq to each minimizing peaks, in order to obtain the most uniform bass distribution.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I've got my mix but other than that I'm still running on audusey multi eq and I really need to upgrade amps but I had never used any of that before and kinda thought it was a gimmick and now I wished I would have looked into it more before I bought my e300 and got a better version...at least xt or higher