Should Audio Delay always be set to 0? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm concerned that the sound might be slightly out of sync with the picture on my TV when I watch DVDs or Blu-rays. I'm not really sure if the sound is out of sync, but it does seem not quite right. I brought this up on the Blu-ray Forum and they told me that my TV (a Samsung F8500) has an Audio Delay setting. I asked them if the Audio Delay should be set to 0, and if so, then what's the point of having an Audio Delay setting at all. They refused to give me a straight answer.

Should the Audio Delay setting always be set to 0? Why was it set to 120 for free-to-air TV and 90 for Blu-rays? If the Audio Delay setting is changed to 0, will the picture be perfectly in sync with the audio or will there be a delay where the audio comes before the picture?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Why don't you try it and see? Video processing can sometimes delay the picture and an audio delay setting can be helpful getting the sound back in sync. The amount of delay needed depends on the situation.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really trust my own perception. Is there a way for me to test if the sound is in sync or not and determine the right setting (like how calibration discs have test patterns for picture settings)?

post #4 of 23 Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Liked: 20
If you perceive that the audio isn't in sync with the picture, then adjust it. Otherwise leave it at zero. It can be off depending on delays in a broadcast or because of processing speed differences between audio and video either at the source or in your equipment. I sometimes find a certain channel will be off while others are not, which is annoying since it is a bit of a pain to get it synchronized just to have to reset it when I change the channel.

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #5 of 23 Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not aware of any calibration process that does what you want. But, if you can't actually tell whether the sync is off...
post #6 of 23 Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know why the default settings were 120 for free-to-air TV, 90 for Blu-rays and 170 for USB? Is the TV able to sense how much audio delay is needed for each source? I've found some audio sync test patterns on YouTube but I don't know how much use they'll be if the TV has different settings for different sources.

post #7 of 23 Old 04-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 97
What setup do you have? Are you feeding your sources into the TV then using the TV speakers?

As for audio delay settings, I can't say. If you think it's off, then play around with it until it seems in sync. Use material where you can view a person's mouth.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I recently purchased Disney WOW, a home theater setup Blue-Ray Disc.  One of the many utilities it has is a test that determines whether the audio is out of sync with the picture.  Using the utility it was very easy to change the audio delay so the sound and the picture was synchronized.  Check Amazon, they seem to have good prices on this disk.  Last thought on this.  The disk is a great utility to set your color, contrast, and tint settings.  It is an amazing difference.

mtbdudex likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain68 View Post

I recently purchased Disney WOW, a home theater setup Blue-Ray Disc.  One of the many utilities it has is a test that determines whether the audio is out of sync with the picture.  Using the utility it was very easy to change the audio delay so the sound and the picture was synchronized.  Check Amazon, they seem to have good prices on this disk.  Last thought on this.  The disk is a great utility to set your color, contrast, and tint settings.  It is an amazing difference.

Exactly correct!
Same for this disc, it has a/v sync portion
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_768BLCAL3D/Spears-Munsil-HD-Benchmark-2nd-Edition.html?tp=1772&awkw=63680101465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=35350236265&awdv=c
Quote:
audio tests for speaker setup, calibration and A/V sync
post #10 of 23 Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That's useful information. But, remember it only applies to sync involving playback from one particular disc player.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Understood, but once you adjust that and get the feel for it, and train your ears/eyes, then you can use that setting as high baseline and do it for other non blu ray sources.

With all that said, there have been a few times on HDTV I had to laugh because the A/V sync is just off from the source I'm being fed, as switching to another channel and then sync issue is not there.

The bad thing is also once you train your ears/eyes, then you notice those outta-sync things more, while others don't and are just "happy" as is......
post #12 of 23 Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The only audio delay that I use is the audio delay feature built into my bluray player.

Off air TV audio and video sync seems to be fine as is. DVD and Bluray audio is always off a bit, so the Bluray player audio delay feature works fine to bring audio and video back in sync.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker View Post

Does anyone know why the default settings were 120 for free-to-air TV, 90 for Blu-rays and 170 for USB? Is the TV able to sense how much audio delay is needed for each source? I've found some audio sync test patterns on YouTube but I don't know how much use they'll be if the TV has different settings for different sources.

Maybe the people who designed your equipment knew what they are doing when they setup the default settings. I don't recall my TV having any ability to adjust audio delay.

If the audio and video sync looks right, then why worry about the default settings?

If the audio and video sync looks off, then change the delay for the source in question.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I've just bought a Disney WOW Blu-ray disc and tried calibrating the audio delay. The wheel was spinning so fast, it was still hard to tell exactly when the "ping" was happening. But even when the audio delay was at its maximum setting of 250, the audio still seemed early.

Strangely, I only see this problem when watching DVDs or Blu-rays, not when watching free-to-air TV. Maybe this is because my Bose surround sound system is connected directly to my TV with an optical cable, while my Blu-ray player is connected to the Bose with a HDMI cable, which then passes the signal to the TV with another HDMI cable. I can confirm that all video processing settings like the Motion Judder Canceller are switched off.

Could it be a problem with the audio settings on my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player?

Digital Audio Output     Auto          PCM

BD Audio MIX Setting   On             Off

DTS Neo:6                 Cinema       Music     Off

Audio DRC                  Auto          On         Off

Downmix                    Surround    Stereo

Should I change any of these settings? I don't understand what any of them mean, even after reading their descriptions in the manual. If my Blu-ray player is set to Stereo mode, then I shouldn't be getting any surround sound, but I am.

Maybe I should just call a professional calibrator. Paying $400 for peace of mind is starting to seem like a bargain.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker View Post

I've just bought a Disney WOW Blu-ray disc and tried calibrating the audio delay. The wheel was spinning so fast, it was still hard to tell exactly when the "ping" was happening. But even when the audio delay was at its maximum setting of 250, the audio still seemed early.

Strangely, I only see this problem when watching DVDs or Blu-rays, not when watching free-to-air TV. Maybe this is because my Bose surround sound system is connected directly to my TV with an optical cable, while my Blu-ray player is connected to the Bose with a HDMI cable, which then passes the signal to the TV with another HDMI cable. I can confirm that all video processing settings like the Motion Judder Canceller are switched off.

Could it be a problem with the audio settings on my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player?

Digital Audio Output     Auto          PCM

BD Audio MIX Setting   On             Off

DTS Neo:6                 Cinema       Music     Off

Audio DRC                  Auto          On         Off

Downmix                    Surround    Stereo

Should I change any of these settings? I don't understand what any of them mean, even after reading their descriptions in the manual. If my Blu-ray player is set to Stereo mode, then I shouldn't be getting any surround sound, but I am.

Maybe I should just call a professional calibrator. Paying $400 for peace of mind is starting to seem like a bargain.

You are right. You do not understand what you are doing. Read post 12.

Reset your TV back to the factory delay settings.

Read your Bluray player instruction manual page 22.

Send your check for $300 to me ($100 AVS member discount) !wink.gif

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDPS3100_BX310.pdf
post #16 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank! I didn't know my blu-ray player had its own audio delay setting. I'll try out your suggestion tomorrow.

post #17 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Your player is not set to stereo. It is set to Auto, meaning it uses the HDMI handshake to determine whether or not to send surround.

Also, set Mix to Off in order to make sure that Dolby tracks are not downmixed to stereo.

None of this has anything to do with audio sync issues.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 AM

These solutions don't begin to address the real problem. At what point in your setup is the audio seperated from the video for the AVR?? Using the AVR as the HDMI switch point, the video is going to lag the audio as the display element (HDTV, projector, eyc) needs time to process the video. Delay of the audio is called for at that point. I take the audio from the HDTV via optical to the AVR and lipsync has never been a problem. Using the HDTV as the source for the audio to the AVR is the most direct route. This way, whatever source or media is selected for viewing, the audio is synced. Many attempt to rely on ARC but this has proven incompatible with different mfgrs.
post #19 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post

These solutions don't begin to address the real problem. At what point in your setup is the audio seperated from the video for the AVR?? Using the AVR as the HDMI switch point, the video is going to lag the audio as the display element (HDTV, projector, eyc) needs time to process the video. Delay of the audio is called for at that point. I take the audio from the HDTV via optical to the AVR and lipsync has never been a problem. Using the HDTV as the source for the audio to the AVR is the most direct route. This way, whatever source or media is selected for viewing, the audio is synced. Many attempt to rely on ARC but this has proven incompatible with different mfgrs.

Adjusting the audio delay in the Blu-ray player will take care of this problem. No need to over think the cure for this issue. Five minutes of time and you are done!

I had the same problem. Off air TV audio via optical to receiver was in sync, but the bluray audio optical to receiver was off a bit. Adjust the audio delay in the Blu-ray player, and all is well.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Yes, a delay would be needed if the blueray audio is fed directly and not via the tv.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-10-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post

Yes, a delay would be needed if the blueray audio is fed directly and not via the tv.

You still need to use the Blu-ray player delay if the AVR is fed from the TV via optical audio or direct from the Blu-ray player via optical audio. I use optical audio output from my TV into the AVR for off air television and internet movies.

I use HDMI into the TV from the Blu-ray player so I can get upscaled 1080P-24 DVD video and 1080P-24 Blu-ray video.

My AVR does not have any HDMI connections, so I can not make the HDMI audio comparison.

It is a good thing that the Blu-ray player has adjustable audio delay!!!
post #22 of 23 Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've been sick for the past 3 weeks, during which time I didn't use my Blu-ray player at all. Now that I'm feeling better, I've taken another shot at calibrating the A/V Sync. I had to set the TV's Audio Delay to its maximum setting of 250 and also set the Blu-ray player's Audio Delay to 60. I think I've finally got it right.

Thanks again for the advice, J_Palmer_Cass. I still don't know why my old Panasonic G10A TV didn't have this problem.

post #23 of 23 Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I always thought my audio was in sync until i ran a sync tool and found out it was fairly off.
The WOW disc has one.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat
Gear in this thread - BDP-S3100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page