Some Home Theater Audio Ramps Up Automatically To Obnoxious Levels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize in advance if I am not posting this in the right forum - but my frustration level is rapidly rising...

I currently have a Dish Hopper feeding HDMI into a Marantz SR5008 which then feeds HDMI to a Panasonic TC-P60ST60. Depending on the channel selected, I am having issues with the volume for some commercials starting out at normal volume, and then ramping up to a VERY high volume. When I say ramping, the semi gradual increasing of volume is VERY noticeable. I am sure it is some type of compression or normalizing function, but for the life of me I can't figure out which unit is doing it. I have tried every setting I can find on all three units, that would seem to perform a function that might do this behavior - but to no avail. Any feedback anyone might have (what to look for, specific setting, which unit may be controlling this function, best way to troubleshoot, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any feedback - this has been going on since we setup this theater in December and it's driving us nuts having to use the mute every time this happens...

mr_melvis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_melvis View Post

I apologize in advance if I am not posting this in the right forum - but my frustration level is rapidly rising...

I currently have a Dish Hopper feeding HDMI into a Marantz SR5008 which then feeds HDMI to a Panasonic TC-P60ST60. Depending on the channel selected, I am having issues with the volume for some commercials starting out at normal volume, and then ramping up to a VERY high volume. When I say ramping, the semi gradual increasing of volume is VERY noticeable. I am sure it is some type of compression or normalizing function, but for the life of me I can't figure out which unit is doing it. I have tried every setting I can find on all three units, that would seem to perform a function that might do this behavior - but to no avail. Any feedback anyone might have (what to look for, specific setting, which unit may be controlling this function, best way to troubleshoot, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any feedback - this has been going on since we setup this theater in December and it's driving us nuts having to use the mute every time this happens...

So you are saying that you have a Hopper and you don't exploit it to blast through every commercial? You must like commercials a lot more than my wife and I.

I suspect the ramping function you perceive is either in the source material from the network, or your head and strictly speaking you can't do much about either. ;-)

Other than that, go through the menus on the Marantz and see what features are turned on.

Since the last firmware update to my Denon AVR 1913 (same manufacturer as Marantz) my system seems to ramp the volume up after many scene changes on TV. Might be related.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback Arnyk - couple of things:

We don't watch network TV, so the (I believe ) the 'commercial free' aspect of the Hopper would not apply. I can assure you it is not our heads - it goes from next to you sound levels to the Who Live At Leeds over 2 -3 seconds. I have gone through the menus and just cannot figure out what is causing it. Have tested every audio / input / etc. setting that I can find - just no clue. Just wondering at this point if I shouldn't look for a limiter of some type to try and address the issue...

Thanks again.

mr-melvis
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat
Gear in this thread - TC-P60ST60. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page