Is this a bad/wrong time to be upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My main home theater is still in the DVD ages and I was wondering if this is a bad time to replace my SD plasma for an HDTV and also get a Blu-ray player. Isn't all the 4K stuff around the corner or will it take time for everything to get settled-in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
4K content is still pretty sparse. Sony has a service that last I saw had about 200 or so pieces of content (mix of films and TV shows like Breaking Bad.) Samsung has about two films (both documentaries) and will release some more content soon, but you'd still be able to count it all on two hands. Content players/streamers for these films are pretty pricey. Netflix and Amazon are adding content, including their original stuff (like House of Cards), but it's still about where Blu-ray was in it's first year or two.

I'd say it's good time to go Blu-ray, which will also play DVDs. The players are pretty cheap and also add streaming services.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I agree with Tulpa to get a BRP now and buy BRs of the content you want. I wouldn't hold my breath on 4k taking off even if all the HDTVs in future are 4k. As stated there is little content, there are no disc spinners on the market (that I'm aware of) that can handle an entire movie on a single disc and most places in the world would have difficulty supplying streamed 4k content to a lot of customers.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 04:57 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 713
I would say it is a great time for the upgrade. Blu ray players are quite inexpensive and so are HD flat screen TV;s are bigger, better and cheaper than they were in the day.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Here is the 4K timetable thread. Best is to wait till 2018.. ALso affordable OLED is at least four years away. Get yourself a 4K OLED few years from now smile.gif

btw this is the bad/wrong Forum (Audio theory, Setup and Chat) for such question.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Here is the 4K timetable thread. Best is to wait till 2018.. ALso affordable OLED is at least four years away. Get yourself a 4K OLED few years from now smile.gif

btw this is the bad/wrong Forum (Audio theory, Setup and Chat) for such question.

And spend 4 years not enjoying HD television?
post #7 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

We actually do have a Sony LED 1080p TV in the house hooked-up to a Sony Blu-ray HTIB but it is just used for TV watching. It is only my "real" home theater that is still in the DVD ages. The real home theater is not hooked-up to cable/satellite and is only used for movies/music.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I have a second generation 4K (properly called UHD) TV. We needed a new set anyway and with money not being as much of a consideration, and being able to get them at cost smile.gif, I bought the unit. Key for me was how good the TV was in general. So my suggestion is if the cost differential is not important to you, get the 4K TV. On the other hand if cost is a consideration, get the cheapest set you can because likely you will upgrade in a couple of years.

And for sure get a blu-ray player.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #9 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW 

He should take your advise IMO Since he is in the SD/DVD era 1080p is an enormous upgrade. Those of us who own a HD TV and watch lots of blu-ray's should wait at least four years unless you want to be a early adopter..
post #10 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

We actually do have a Sony LED 1080p TV in the house hooked-up to a Sony Blu-ray HTIB but it is just used for TV watching. It is only my "real" home theater that is still in the DVD ages. The real home theater is not hooked-up to cable/satellite and is only used for movies/music.

Fwiw, I was in the same boat as you except I was worried about my Denon DVD-3910 not playing SACDs anymore but it played DVD/DVD-A flawlessly . I purchased a Sony S5100 for $110 because of it's ability to play SACDs and Blu ray and thankfully after 6 months my Denon is still playing DVD-As (after 10 years of nightly use) but I will be in a dilemma when it finally goes out. eek.gif I of course don't buy DVDs anymore but get used Blu rays at between $5 to $10 a pop at local establishments. That said, I haven't experimented with the streaming media but the Sony Unit seems to have all of those Bells and Whistles.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

5.1 only in 2016 for 4K? I am also planning on upgrading my amplification by getting a separate amplifier and processor along with a HDTV and Blu-ray player. If I upgrade to an HDTV, Blu-ray player, new amplifier, and processor, will the HDTV, Blu-ray player, and processor be outdated (or unsupported by 4K) when 4K is more stable in the market? I am asking because, obviously, a 1080p TV cannot display 4K and a current A/V processor can only handle today's audio codecs. Will 4K result in new audio codecs as well?
post #12 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

5.1 only in 2016 for 4K? I am also planning on upgrading my amplification by getting a separate amplifier and processor along with a HDTV and Blu-ray player. If I upgrade to an HDTV, Blu-ray player, new amplifier, and processor, will the HDTV, Blu-ray player, and processor be outdated (or unsupported by 4K) when 4K is more stable in the market?

DVDs are still around even with Blu-ray stable in the market (as much as it can be.) Outdated really depends on your definition and wants/needs.

If you truly want 4K, buy it. If you would rather wait, wait. Buying now and buying later both have ups and downs, but IMO it's a great time to enjoy home theater regardless of your choice.
Quote:
I am asking because, obviously, a 1080p TV cannot display 4K and a current A/V processor can only handle today's audio codecs. Will 4K result in new audio codecs as well?

Audio codecs today are already lossless audio and support more channels. I don't see much progress, if any there.

A 1080p cannot show 4k, but it can play the content, just scaled down to its resolution.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #13 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

If I upgrade now instead of waiting, I am thinking of this:

TV: Sony KDL-42W800 (I know it is only a 42" but I don't have space for a larger TV)
Blu-ray Disc Player: OPPO BDP-103
Preamplifier: Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5000
Amplifier: Parasound Halo A 51
Mains: Klipsch RF-7 (already have)
Center: Klipsch RC-7 (already have)
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7 (already have)
Subwoofer: Seaton Sound SubMersive (already have)

Basically, I'm changing the TV, DVD to Blu-ray Disc player, and my current A/V receiver to amp/preamp separates. Is the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5000 a good choice?
post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Basically, I'm changing the TV, DVD to Blu-ray Disc player, and my current A/V receiver to amp/preamp separates. Is the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5000 a good choice?

What AVR do you have now?
post #15 of 20 Old 04-21-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

A flagship model from the DVD ages: Harman Kardon AVR 8000/8500.

By the way, I rethought my purchase and think it is better if I just get a new 1080p TV, Blu-ray player, and an A/V receiver (instead of separates). I'm planning on re-doing my home theater completely in 3-4 years so I don't see any point in investing too much into it right now. The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030 is at the top of my list at the moment.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick question. According to that table that 8mile13 posted, it states that the first phase of UHD will be limited to 5.1 sound. Will it also use the current HD or Blu-ray Disc audio formats or some newer version of those? If it is the current HD audio formats, then I might as well just upgrade to 1080p now from DVD because I'm more of an audio person.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Quick question. According to that table that 8mile13 posted, it states that the first phase of UHD will be limited to 5.1 sound. Will it also use the current HD or Blu-ray Disc audio formats or some newer version of those? If it is the current HD audio formats, then I might as well just upgrade to 1080p now from DVD because I'm more of an audio person.
There is no roadmap, table or otherwise for migration to UHD. Content distributors can pick from chinese menu of formats to offer UHD content. It can be any and all things.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #18 of 20 Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
As others have said, you should definitely upgrade to a BD player right away. They are quite cheap now, so you will not be out a lot of money for it regardless of what the future holds. And BD is a substantial upgrade over DVD, assuming you sit close enough to your HDTV for it to matter much that it is not SD instead.

Also, there is a very good chance that you will never need 4k. Most people, right now, sit too far from their TVs to see all of 1080p, so having 4k would be completely useless for them. For more on that, see the calculator here, and the chart [and simplified calculator] here. If you have 20/20 vision, if you sit only 8' from your screen, you need a screen larger than 61" to be able to see all of the detail of 1080p. Which means that there would be no point at all in a smaller 4k screen at that distance for someone with 20/20 vision. At 10', it would need to be larger than 76" for you to see all of the detail of 1080p (again, assuming you have 20/20 vision). Of course, if you have better vision, then it would be a smaller screen at such a distance, and with worse vision, it would be a larger screen at such a distance.

My guess is that a lot of people are going to buy 4k TVs because they clearly see a difference in the store from 3' away, but they will put them in their homes so far away from their viewing position that they will get absolutely no benefit whatsoever from having 4k instead of 1080p. Which means I expect a lot of people to be wasting their money. But they do that now in so many ways, as most people spend too much on electronics, and not enough on speakers, if actual sound quality is the goal. So, of course, I expect that they will waste money on video gear that does not give them the best performance for their money, too.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

A flagship model from the DVD ages: Harman Kardon AVR 8000/8500.

By the way, I rethought my purchase and think it is better if I just get a new 1080p TV, Blu-ray player, and an A/V receiver (instead of separates). I'm planning on re-doing my home theater completely in 3-4 years so I don't see any point in investing too much into it right now. The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030 is at the top of my list at the moment.

I would go with the previous model on closeout sale:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA3020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A3020.html

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the "sound" aspect of that table. I'm sure it was only mentioning what the industry expected to be the standard in those years on the chart. For example, currently the standard is 5.1 surround sound (though far more people are still stuck in 2.0 stereo) however, many new BD releases have 7.1 surround mixes included on the disc. I imagine within 2 or 3 years, 7.1 will be the standard for Blu Rays. Certainly if Blu Ray expands the number of layers it uses to facilitate UHD format, then it will continue to include 7.1 surround mixes on the disc. The "next generation surround format" is likely to be a 9.2 or better surround mix, but I don't see that becoming very popular with the mainstream, it will likely be limited to the wealthy and hobbyists.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page