Audio Sync Issues - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
DTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully this is the right general area for this post.

TV: Samsung UN55F6300
STB: Direct TV
A/V: Kenwood VR-407 HTIB

HDMI from STB to TV for VIDEO
OPTICAL from STB to A/V for AUDIO
I get sync issue all over the place. Receiver does not have adjustable sync so really nothing I can do on that part.
It isn't on all channels and sometimes the sync isn't an issue on a channel that it was moments ago.
I thought it was my STB so traded with my Brother who had one working with no issues. He hooked up mine and no issues. I hooked up his and I get the sync issues.
The ONLY way to not have sync issues is to change the receiver to CD/DVD (this is for the OPTICAL OUT FROM TV into receiver) but the issue there is that I can only get 2-channel audio (I get DD and DTS 5.1 when using apps like Plex and Netflix but I guess there is no pass-through so I only get 2-channel)

Really scratching my head here. I never had sync issue with my COX STB and Mitsubishi WD60C9 with same surround system. I didnt have sync issues with COX STB and the new TV but hate to think threre is an issue with Direct TV and Samsung TVs. I would test my old Mitsubishi WD60C9 with the Direct TV but reason I made new TV purchase was DLP chip made TV look like the Milky Way galaxy so I wont really be able to see if there is a sync issue because picture is so bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post

Hopefully this is the right general area for this post.

TV: Samsung UN55F6300
STB: Direct TV
A/V: Kenwood VR-407 HTIB

HDMI from STB to TV for VIDEO
OPTICAL from STB to A/V for AUDIO
I get sync issue all over the place. Receiver does not have adjustable sync so really nothing I can do on that part.
It isn't on all channels and sometimes the sync isn't an issue on a channel that it was moments ago.
I thought it was my STB so traded with my Brother who had one working with no issues. He hooked up mine and no issues. I hooked up his and I get the sync issues.
The ONLY way to not have sync issues is to change the receiver to CD/DVD (this is for the OPTICAL OUT FROM TV into receiver) but the issue there is that I can only get 2-channel audio (I get DD and DTS 5.1 when using apps like Plex and Netflix but I guess there is no pass-through so I only get 2-channel)

Really scratching my head here. I never had sync issue with my COX STB and Mitsubishi WD60C9 with same surround system. I didnt have sync issues with COX STB and the new TV but hate to think threre is an issue with Direct TV and Samsung TVs. I would test my old Mitsubishi WD60C9 with the Direct TV but reason I made new TV purchase was DLP chip made TV look like the Milky Way galaxy so I wont really be able to see if there is a sync issue because picture is so bad.

There are adjustable delay devices but in general the ones I know about cost almost as much if not more than a proper modern AVR with built in delay facilities and crazy things like HDMI support. My investigations indicate that the VR 407 is an obsolete, cheap-when-it-was-new piece of gear. Either put up with the mess or spend some money on a real, effective solution - new modern AVR. ;-)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 267
You solved your problem.

Just be satisfied with 2-channel audio. That is all the TV will put out via the optical,because it only processes two channels internally.

What you NEED, if you want 5.1 for all apps, is a new receiver that has AN HDMI output to go to your TV, and all sources will connect into the receiver.

You need to accept that the VR-407 receiver is limited because of its age, and that is that. We ARE talking about a receiver that is over 10 years old; a dinosaur.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
DTS

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The AVR is fine. I can get 5.1 DD and DTS from TV to AVR when using the Smart Hub without sync issues.
My sync issues are when using STB to AVR. VIDEO 3 is the AVR selection for watching TV. CD/DVD is what I switch to when watching anything through the Smart Hub (Optical from TV to AVR)
If I have sync issues on VIDEO 3 (TV viewing) then I switch to CD/DVD on the AVR and it corrects any sync issue, but my loss is that I only get 2.0 since the sound is coming from Optical from TV to AVR as there is no pass-through on this TV.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The AVR is fine.

Just because it works in any configuration does not mean that it is fine for all configurations.
Quote:
I can get 5.1 DD and DTS from TV to AVR when using the Smart Hub without sync issues.

Good. But what about sources other than OTA TV that use other audio formats?
Quote:
My sync issues are when using STB to AVR.

Classic.
Quote:
VIDEO 3 is the AVR selection for watching TV. CD/DVD is what I switch to when watching anything through the Smart Hub (Optical from TV to AVR)

No surprise there. Running digital audio out of the TV and into the AVR is almost a "can't fail" configuration.
Quote:
If I have sync issues on VIDEO 3 (TV viewing) then I switch to CD/DVD on the AVR and it corrects any sync issue, but my loss is that I only get 2.0 since the sound is coming from Optical from TV to AVR as there is no pass-through on this TV.

Right. So either satisfy yourself with that, or read my post as a recipe for getting sound in synch from the STB.

Your problem is due to the fact that different signal paths have different amounts of latency (delay) for both the picture and the sound.

There is a lot of latency in most TV sets, but they delay their sound outputs to compensate for it.

Many TVs also don't support every possible surround sound format, except to provide a stereo output.

When you use sound direct from the STB you bypass the compensation in the TV set.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The AVR is fine. I can get 5.1 DD and DTS from TV to AVR when using the Smart Hub without sync issues.
My sync issues are when using STB to AVR. VIDEO 3 is the AVR selection for watching TV. CD/DVD is what I switch to when watching anything through the Smart Hub (Optical from TV to AVR)

Does your set top box have an audio delay feature hidden in the menu? My bluray player has that feature, and I have to use the bluray player delay to get good lip sync when I use the bluray audio direct to AVR via optical (video direct via HDMI to TV).

Off air optical output is always in sync with video on my TV, so no big deal there.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Does your set top box have an audio delay feature hidden in the menu? My bluray player has that feature, and I have to use the bluray player delay to get good lip sync when I use the bluray audio direct to AVR via optical (video direct via HDMI to TV).

Off air optical output is always in sync with video on my TV, so no big deal there.
No it doesn't have that feature. Wish it did.

I'm just confused as to why my old STB (COX Cisco) had no sync issues with same hookup (HDMI to TV for video - OPTICAL to AVR for audio)
I know I need to update my AVR but it was just strange to all of a sudden get sync issues. I also remember having this sync issue out of nowhere when using my WDTV Live Hub with this new TV and it made me think it was the TV somehow since I never had the issue with my old WD60C9.

Guess I'll just borrow my Brothers AVR to make certain.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm just confused as to why my old STB (COX Cisco) had no sync issues with same hookup (HDMI to TV for video - OPTICAL to AVR for audio)
I know I need to update my AVR but it was just strange to all of a sudden get sync issues. I also remember having this sync issue out of nowhere when using my WDTV Live Hub with this new TV and it made me think it was the TV somehow since I never had the issue with my old WD60C9.

The latency or time delay in various pieces of A/V equipment with the same function can vary. Usually latency in equipment for use as part of a playback-only system is unimportant because the source has already been delayed seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or even years, so how can a few dozen milliseconds either way matter?

As long as you obtain video and audio from the same set of outputs from the same source, they are generally in synch. That is one of the beauties of HDMI. Since the audio and the video are interleaved, they are delayed the same amount.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Quote:

For the "same setup that worked", which TV was used with the Cox Cisco STB?

Was the HDMI connection from the old STB via HDMI to the new TV, or to the old TV?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
DTS

I had the COX STB set up with both TVs and Direct TV STB only with the Samsung TV
Hook up has always been the same. HDMI to TV and OPTICAL to AVR

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page