Speakers vs. Room Acoustics - which one is prime & why? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: What do you think is the weakest link in your audio system?
Speakers 2 11.11%
Room 12 66.67%
The designer / you 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post

DIY, you can cut that figure to around $1000.

Yes, or even less if you don't bother to make it look nice with fancy fabric and frames etc.

To keep my $3,000 to $5,000 treatment figure in perspective, some people spend $50,000 or more on a dedicated room. Some spend that much on speakers and other gear. So in the grand scheme of things, and toward the goal of enjoying extremely high quality audio, a coupla grand is not a big investment. Especially when you consider that some of those $50,000 to $100,000 systems sound much worse than a normal size living room that's been acoustically treated and outfitted with typical consumer level audio components.

Even more to keep this in perspective, a lot of people will spend $500 for an outboard DAC, another $2,000 for a power amp, and maybe another $2,000 for loudspeakers. This is not the high end of audio! If you rearrange that $5,000 investment to include acoustic treatment and buy smarter for the rest, you'd end up with a very good system for the same price others paid for a far lesser system.

--Ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

But that's not how science works. Tests of multiple listeners typically will reveal preference *trends*. Results are statistical, not absolutes.

I absolutely agree, and my comment was highly simplified. But in my experience everyone can immediately hear the difference after adding acoustic treatment, and most prefer that difference. To be totally accurate, which you rightly expect, I have to acknowledge that some people do not prefer the difference. I believe that most would if given a chance to develop their hearing acuity and become more sophisticated listeners. But that's a different discussion.

--Ethan
post #63 of 69 Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If people have the expendable funds then they should spend it on whatever makes them happy and enriches their lives. I'm sure I would had I the spare cash. If price was no object then I'd say it's 50/50 but if price is of some concern then I'd put more money in the speakers.
post #64 of 69 Old 05-11-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Yes, or even less if you don't bother to make it look nice with fancy fabric and frames etc.

To keep my $3,000 to $5,000 treatment figure in perspective, some people spend $50,000 or more on a dedicated room. Some spend that much on speakers and other gear. So in the grand scheme of things, and toward the goal of enjoying extremely high quality audio, a coupla grand is not a big investment. Especially when you consider that some of those $50,000 to $100,000 systems sound much worse than a normal size living room that's been acoustically treated and outfitted with typical consumer level audio components.

Even more to keep this in perspective, a lot of people will spend $500 for an outboard DAC, another $2,000 for a power amp, and maybe another $2,000 for loudspeakers. This is not the high end of audio! If you rearrange that $5,000 investment to include acoustic treatment and buy smarter for the rest, you'd end up with a very good system for the same price others paid for a far lesser system.

--Ethan

Mainly, my comment was to give those with budgets of < $1000 for room treatment hope.

I think many just go back to their computer game when they think it costs thousands and thousands to treat a room properly.

Thank you for helping to dispel this myth.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, Classe CA-100, miniDSP
Jenzen Next
post #65 of 69 Old 05-11-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

If people have the expendable funds then they should spend it on whatever makes them happy and enriches their lives. I'm sure I would had I the spare cash. If price was no object then I'd say it's 50/50 but if price is of some concern then I'd put more money in the speakers.

Hear-hear!!!:)

post #66 of 69 Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
My room is carpeted, and has a couch thing, and a cd rack and a small bookcase. One corner has a large opening into the cooking/dining area. It is rectangular and is 18.5 x 13.8 x 9.3 feet.

I have a 2.0 stereo setup, though I keep thinking about adding a subwoofer or two. The speakers are carefully symmetrically positioned in the closed end of the room.

There are no "artificial" absorbers/reflectors (at this time).

I have a healthy dip at 55hz when measured or calculated, right at the couch. But I never notice anything missing there, ear/brain does its little adjustment, and all is well. The rest of the range measures reasonably flat. The speakers do well down to 30hz. I do like bottom end, and am currently on a bass guitar kick - Victor Wooten, among others.

A key to my enjoyment/satisfaction is in not listening too loudly, I think. Don't overpower your enclosure.

I find my room sounds very close to my headphones - HD650 - tonally, and I find the stereo image presentation to be superior in the room, than in the phones.

I do have a DEQ2496 to tame a little 80-120hz wooliness that bothers me sometimes on some material. Nothing is boosted, there's rarely enough headroom on the recordings to permit it without clipping - the DEQ2496 is used in the digital domain before the DAC.

It all sounds remarkably good to me, and to anyone who happens by and gets drawn into it.

Weakest link? Source Material. Resolution? Put on something else.
amirm likes this.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #67 of 69 Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post

My room is carpeted, and has a couch thing, and a cd rack and a small bookcase. One corner has a large opening into the cooking/dining area. It is rectangular and is 18.5 x 13.8 x 9.3 feet.

I have a 2.0 stereo setup, though I keep thinking about adding a subwoofer or two. The speakers are carefully symmetrically positioned in the closed end of the room.

There are no "artificial" absorbers/reflectors (at this time).

I have a healthy dip at 55hz when measured or calculated, right at the couch. But I never notice anything missing there, ear/brain does its little adjustment, and all is well. The rest of the range measures reasonably flat. The speakers do well down to 30hz. I do like bottom end, and am currently on a bass guitar kick - Victor Wooten, among others.

A key to my enjoyment/satisfaction is in not listening too loudly, I think. Don't overpower your enclosure.

I find my room sounds very close to my headphones - HD650 - tonally, and I find the stereo image presentation to be superior in the room, than in the phones.

I do have a DEQ2496 to tame a little 80-120hz wooliness that bothers me sometimes on some material. Nothing is boosted, there's rarely enough headroom on the recordings to permit it without clipping - the DEQ2496 is used in the digital domain before the DAC.

It all sounds remarkably good to me, and to anyone who happens by and gets drawn into it.

Weakest link? Source Material. Resolution? Put on something else.
That's one of the most well written posts I have read as of late. Sound of someone who really is enjoying his system. Well done. smile.gif
post #68 of 69 Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post

Nothing is boosted, there's rarely enough headroom on the recordings to permit it without clipping

I had noticed audible clipping on some tracks when I first started using PEQ in JRiver. Then someone in these forums suggested running JRiver's volume leveling feature which brings down the volume on the most aggressively recorded tracks and gives headroom for PEQ boost. The most boost I have in PEQ is +4dB and volume leveling is at -7.3dB. Haven't noticed clipping since.
berstuck likes this.
post #69 of 69 Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

I had noticed audible clipping on some tracks when I first started using PEQ in JRiver. Then someone in these forums suggested running JRiver's volume leveling feature which brings down the volume on the most aggressively recorded tracks and gives headroom for PEQ boost. The most boost I have in PEQ is +4dB and volume leveling is at -7.3dB. Haven't noticed clipping since.

You're right... the DEQ2496 does have a +/-15db volume control that comes before the EQ function, I'd forgotten about that.

Gain Offset

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page