Dolby digital from cable box setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cable box will send audio either in 2 ways...

1. Some form of stereo or analog, which I have my Onkyo TX NR809 processing to PL II Movie Audyssey DSX right now....just added front heights

2. Dolby Digital, which right now I have it set to straight decode so I am getting the usual 5/1 track from the HD feed.

My question is should I leave #2 alone or have the AVR process this dolby digital feed into something else like the PL II Movie Audyssey DSX or PLIIz height or similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

any opinions here?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I also hate when no one replies.

To answer your question, it depends. If I watch HBO or another premium channel or prime time show the 5.1 is great. However if its sports or some of the other junk on TV I will use a Pro logic type processor. IMHO it sounds better. Luckily my receiver will switch between the two when 5.1 is not detected.

Who is your provider. Sometimes those cable boxes they give you are really terrible. I am guessing you are using HDMI straight to the receiver.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtheen View Post

Hey, I also hate when no one replies.

To answer your question, it depends. If I watch HBO or another premium channel or prime time show the 5.1 is great. However if its sports or some of the other junk on TV I will use a Pro logic type processor. IMHO it sounds better. Luckily my receiver will switch between the two when 5.1 is not detected.

Who is your provider. Sometimes those cable boxes they give you are really terrible. I am guessing you are using HDMI straight to the receiver.

Yeah thanks...it seems like pulling teeth sometimes to get a response. But i'm guilty of not responding to questions a ton too so oh well.

I use WideOpenWest (WOW) cable, and I have their high end ultra tv box setup. Its HDMI but it either sends a dolby digital signal or a stereo signal based on the feed. Then my AVR i can set do process the signal to add the other channels or just leave it alone
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The worst part about all of this is when the commercials are stereo and the program is Dolby dig. and it takes the receiver an extra second or two to switch over and then you are rewinding and pausing trying to catch all of the dialogue.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page