powerd pa speakers and bd players? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Ok so this is it, Can I hookup powered Pa speakers like Mackie srm 450 directly to the analogue output on my bd player to get full 7.1 surround sound for outdoors?  I have several Bd players that have the full analogue jacks on them.  If I can ,would it be reasonable to simply set them all at the same volume? and how would that work for base or a sub?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wires2toys View Post

Ok so this is it, Can I hookup powered Pa speakers like Mackie srm 450 directly to the analogue output on my bd player to get full 7.1 surround sound for outdoors?  I have several Bd players that have the full analogue jacks on them.  If I can ,would it be reasonable to simply set them all at the same volume? and how would that work for base or a sub?

I see no reason why a BD player with analog outputs couldn't drive speakers like the Mackie SRM 450.

You are going to need some adaptor cable(s) because this is what the back of a SRM 450 looks like:

No RCA jacks!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

That was the srm450 original panel, the new version 3 srm 450 have both unbalanced trs 1/4 inch combo jacks and rca jacks.  I don't know / understand the load capabilities of the speaker inpedeance load and what an analogue out on bd player will handle?

Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 AM

The only thing I can think of, is if the output of the BD player may be a lower voltage than what the amp on the mackies are, and you may find yourself needing a DSP in between. Maybe others with better experience could chime in.
I believe it will work but may not be as loud as you would expect.
But maybe the amp can already do this.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That was the srm450 original panel, the new version 3 srm 450 have both unbalanced trs 1/4 inch combo jacks and rca jacks.  I don't know / understand the load capabilities of the speaker inpedeance load and what an analogue out on bd player will handle?

The analog outputs of digital players that are used with home audio systems generally runs around 2 volts, and have plenty of drive for both consumer and pro equipment.
Quote:

Since you didn't say so in the OP, I have no regrets. ;-)

But this seems like what you are talking about:

The BD player can be reasonably expected to plug and play for all of the outputs. However, depending on which DVD you play, not all speakers may be driven in a way that satisfies you. First approximation = all level settings the same. Some adjustment (up to 10 dB or more) may be desired after you audition the initial setup.

Also, it looks like the RCA jacks are set up to work with a stereo source. That means that with a mono source (i.e. one channel of a multichannel BD player) the levels may be up to 6 dB lower than expected. Be prepared to rotate the gain controls more than you are used to.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

so to put it simply, I will need to use y splitters for each analogue out to each speaker, and then adjust each speaker at setup based on the type of movie being played.  Would I have to make adjustments during the movie?  at a grand a speaker I hope this will result in one hell of a surround experience outdoors lol

Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so to put it simply, I will need to use y splitters for each analogue out to each speaker, and then adjust each speaker at setup based on the type of movie being played.  Would I have to make adjustments during the movie?  at a grand a speaker I hope this will result in one hell of a surround experience outdoors lol

I don't think you need any splitters because on the DVD/BD player every channel output has its own RCA jack. You will just need a mono RCA male<-> RCA male cable:

This picture shows a stereo cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=2868&seq=1&format=2

But you can usually separate the two cables. Since you will end up with at least 3 more-or-less identical cables, some labeling might be in order.