Any advice on Optical to Phono? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi there

I'm having trouble connecting an old pioneer surround sound system to my new bush 40 inch led. The TV has a S/PDIF output for digital sound but it is a phono output whereas the sound system uses digital audio. I have purchased a connecter and connected both the optical and a phono cable to this and to the TV but no sound is coming out. I have tested the optical cable and it works fine playing aux etc. 

I may sound like an idiot here but is there a specific phono cable I should of bought? I just got a plain phono to phono but the 'coaxial out' on the connecter is a white one and the s/pdif on the tv is yellow, I didn't think this mattered as its just audio..

Any help would be well appreciated :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesypr2 View Post

Hi there

I'm having trouble connecting an old pioneer surround sound system to my new bush 40 inch led. The TV has a S/PDIF output for digital sound but it is a phono output whereas the sound system uses digital audio.

If by "phono output" you mean RCA jack :

Then the digital output jack on your TV could easily look like the jack with the orange insert ring and marked accordingly on the picture above.

If you specified actual model, it would be easier to get more specific. There may be some relevant setting for the TV. What does the user manual for the TV say? A little googling can usually come up with a PDF of the user manual if you have mislaid it.
Quote:
I have purchased a connector and connected both the optical and a phono cable to this and to the TV but no sound is coming out. I have tested the optical cable and it works fine playing aux etc. 

Usually problems like this are due to the person trying to set up the system. Again if you had said which Pioneer AVR the advice could be more specific.

There may be some relevant setting for the AVR. What does the user manual for the AVR say?

Or, given that you are dealing with an old piece of equipment, it is possible that the digital input on the AVR is broken. You could test it with a DVD or BD player that had a digital output.

Quote:
I may sound like an idiot here but is there a specific phono cable I should of bought? I just got a plain phono to phono but the 'coaxial out' on the connecter is a white one and the s/pdif on the tv is yellow, I didn't think this mattered as its just audio..

The link is not "just audio", it is digital audio. However for typical lengths (up to at least 12 feet) just about any kind of RCA<->RCA cable will work. I know someone who demonstrated a working digital link composed of his body. He spit on the tip of the forefinger on each hand and put one finger on the signal connection of each piece of equipment. Voila, a manual connection! IOW, tain't rocket science. But, there may be some hidden settings. They will typically be in the respective user manual for each device. RTFM!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 04:40 AM

Again, without seeing the pdf...
I find it very odd you say the connector is yellow; I suggest you are picking up a label from another jack.

Clearing that, most/many/some digital inputs are 'assigned' - they may start assigned to a particular input 'label', but also moved to another.
Opt 1/CD can be 'moved' to DVR, etc.- you can't just go by the label on the jack.
For testing, you need to try each input 'label' to be sure.
Slowly spin input selector to see if it is assigned odd, checking for Signal Select at 'digital' also!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for both your replies

After shedding a little more light onto the back of the TV it seems it is orange rather than yellow, does this mean I need a different cable?

also the TV is a Bush BMK40, there is nothing at all in the manual apart from the basic turning PCM to Auto or Off. Nothing else to help. 

post #5 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Adding to the cancellation process i've tested the optical cable on my xbox and blu ray and both work fine, I do need it in my TV however as I want it to work for Sky. I have tried all the inputs on my TV and no sound. 

The connector I bought was exactly the same as this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Digital-Audio-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OSTH2M/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt 

Should I have got it the other way round? ie. Coaxial IN and Optical OUT? I assumed that as the audio was going out that it would be Coaxial OUT and Optical IN 

My sound system is a Pioneer xv-dv303

post #6 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesypr2 View Post

Adding to the cancellation process i've tested the optical cable on my xbox and blu ray and both work fine, I do need it in my TV however as I want it to work for Sky. I have tried all the inputs on my TV and no sound. 

The connector I bought was exactly the same as this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Digital-Audio-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OSTH2M/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt 

Should I have got it the other way round? ie. Coaxial IN and Optical OUT? I assumed that as the audio was going out that it would be Coaxial OUT and Optical IN 

My sound system is a Pioneer xv-dv303

The user guide seems to lack a picture of the back of the AVR :-(

But searching around it appears that the back of the AVR allegedly looks like this:

I see just an optical digital input.

You need the exact opposite of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Digital-Audio-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OSTH2M/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I think you need this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Audio-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OSUXO8/ref=pd_sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FRVCNW9BE7V7ERQ6NBX

(two views of the same device)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-06-2014, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I just swapped for this one and it works a treat :)

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page