Hiding speaker wire under the carpet & Bipolar setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So I want to get some surround speakers and upgrade my setup from being 3.1 to 5.1. I'd love to get the Fluance XLBP bipolar but I do not have a full wall behind the couch to wall mount them. I could wall mount them on the half wall and have them be about 8-10 inches above ear level and a foot or two behind the couch . Would this be acceptable?

If not, I'd want to get speaker mounts but my concern is wires. I understand you can run wires under the carpet and I'd likely use 14 gauge because I wouldn't want something too thick - If 14 gauge is good for a 8 foot distance. But my silly question is this - after running the wire under the carpet, do I make a hole in the carpet to feed the wire through? I always see these beautiful setups on carpets and hardwood floors where I see no wire whatsoever on the mounted speakers. How do I get it out from under the carpet? I mean, common sense says make a small hole and pull the wire through but this is a rental home and I want to make sure it wouldn't be noticeable.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

Oh and one more quick question. I know timber matching isn't as important with surrounds as it is L/R/C but would I be okay to pair my P363s with the Fluance? I imagine it would be a lot bigger of an issue if I went with some high end surrounds with my Infinity speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 216
They do make 14 and 12awg speaker wire specifically to run under carpets. It's just very wide and thin but still 12 or 14ga. Google it and/or check Monoprice.com

If you slit the carpet with a sharp utility knife, you could easily pull the thin wire through. A clean slit will not be noticed when you leave.

But for only 8 feet 16ga, even 18ga should be OK.

Here is the unofficial AVS guide to speaker cable.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Maybe you could post a pic up to see what your room looks like for some wire routing ideas. Surrounds are ideally mounted more to the sides than the rear in any case, so if you can mount to the side and slightly behind would be a good way to go. 14g wire is good for 80 ft runs with your speakers' impedance rating. As far as carpeting probably not a good idea to cut a hole in your rental unit's carpeting, but you might try pulling it up on the sides and running it right along the wall. Maybe even using conduits/raceways along baseboards or in corners, etc. I've run it under carpets (not wall-to-wall type) and be warned you will know when you're walking on it if you run it where you'll be walking on it....

Might try reading this http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/Which-Speaker-Wire-Cover.html

post #4 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you. That is helpful information and much appreciated.

I did take a picture of at least the back portion of the living room. Ignore the mess. We let the place slide over mother's day weekend with everything going on.

If it makes any difference, where the play kitchen is located is actually a small wall. To the left and behind is the garage door.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I agree with the other post that a better option, if possible, is to mount the surround speakers to the sides. That is what Dolby recommends - 90 degrees (directly to the sides) to 110 degrees (slightly behind) is what they recommend - and they should be mounted high which usually better to avoid furniture, doorways, etc.

You can use that stick on wire channel and paint it to match if you need a really clean job. If the speakers are really high, you can angle them down a little - pointing over the head of the listening position.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #6 of 14 Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Alright thanks for the input you guys. If I can find a way to hide the wire and can get some decent, yet inexpensive stands I will go ahead and do that. If running it under the carpet isn't an option and I absolutely must have surrounds, would there be anything overly wrong with mounting them on that half wall behind the sofa in the picture? They would still be above ear level. Of course the people on the smaller sofa won't get to hear much but I never sit there anyways! (That makes me sound so self serving ha ha.)

post #7 of 14 Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well thats perhaps a good spot for a rear surround in a 6/7 ch setup, probably not so good for a pair of surround speakers, altho I can see that your room might be difficult for surrounds. More pics might help but current single pic isnt a lot of help for various routing options.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I am also curious about running speaker wire under carpet. Is that flat speaker wire still of the same quality as typical round speaker wire? Some of the places I have checked for say 14g flat wire were pretty expensive. I don't mind paying more, but, I want to make sure that it is of good quality as I would like to use it for my LCR's as well!
post #9 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I am also curious about running speaker wire under carpet. Is that flat speaker wire still of the same quality as typical round speaker wire? Some of the places I have checked for say 14g flat wire were pretty expensive. I don't mind paying more, but, I want to make sure that it is of good quality as I would like to use it for my LCR's as well!

Without an actual sample we can't be sure of the quality. But then as we well know here, speaker wire is not that critical either. As long as the flat wire has the equivalent wire gauge as the round, it's the same. Yes cable geometry does matter at RF frequencies but is hardly a factor at audio frequencies.

The reason it costs more is simply supply and demand of a specialty product. When you need it, you need it, so you pay!

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #10 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Never tried the "flat" wire, might make walking on it when its under the rug less noticeable (but doubt it's going to "disappear"). I just did a brief search for flat 14g and all I came up with was 16g....got a link for the 14g stuff?

post #11 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Never tried the "flat" wire, might make walking on it when its under the rug less noticeable (but doubt it's going to "disappear"). I just did a brief search for flat 14g and all I came up with was 16g....got a link for the 14g stuff?

I just came across this. Not sure if it helps or not.

Http://m.ebay.com/itm/281335233789

post #12 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see gauge mentioned at all. Searched the same GE model number and looked at several other sellers' sites and still no gauge mentioned....guess GE didn't bother with such a useful spec in the info for the sellers....

post #13 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Can any of you guys recommend a place that I could pick up some of this flat speaker wire from, for a good price? Also, any brands in particular that are good?
post #14 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
PLEASE, especially for surrounds , don't get into this "quality of the freeking wire" snake oil chain. For under carpet you want wire flat so you don't have a big hump, and tough so it wont break or wear through and short. Almost anything is sufficient for surrounds. A perfectly viable alternative for surrounds is RF or IR links. For surrounds, 18 Ga if fine. Who cares if a fraction of an Ohm difference would roll off the surround at 35 instead of 30 Hz? This is only physics. No magic needed.

The most trusted cable supplier is Blue Jeans Cable.
Most popular cheap cables are Monoprice and CableMart. If nothing else, read their white papers. No idea if they have flat cables or not.

Instead of slitting your carpet, a standard electrical wire snake will work for 20 feet at least. You don't want a slit down the middle of the room. You'd be better to go rent a kicker and pull the carpet back from one wall, run the cables and kick it back.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page