Ideas for Protecting Outdoor Speakers? - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Ideas for Protecting Outdoor Speakers?
A.C.Sanchez's Avatar A.C.Sanchez 02:06 PM 05-14-2014
Hi All,

My new Denon X2000 arrives tomorrow, and I can finally hook up my Polk Atriums as Zone 2 on my deck. My question is, does anyone have a good solution for protecting speakers which are mounted directly to the wooden shingles on the side of a house? I live in Massachusetts, and the speakers will come down in the winter, but for the Spring/Summer/Fall has anyone thought of a good way to 'cover' the speakers? The only thing I can really think of is to angle cut two pieces of wood and form a basic tent above each of the speakers to try to keep rain water from pummeling them directly. I could easily just nail a horizontal piece of wood above each speaker so it looks like there is a shelf above the speakers, but I feel like that wouldn't look very pleasing to the eye (meaning my wife's eyes).

And note that there are no alternative speaker positions. The previous owner already cut holes in the shingles to mount speakers, so they have to go on that side wall, in the existing spots, with to covering/protection above them.

Open to suggestions. I just searched through a bunch of google images, but didn't see anything useful.

Thanks!

underminded999's Avatar underminded999 07:38 AM 05-15-2014

Outdoor speakers are meant to be exposed to the elements. Where you have to be careful is with the wiring. I used heat shrink tubing over the connections, once everything was tightened and tested....However, in FL, we worry about heat and rain, not snow.

The next concern, is making sure no moisture gets behind the removed tiles.

If you have addresses the moisture concerns, and still plan on placing a 'cover/lid' over the speakers, just make sure you cut a line a few MM deep a few CM's form the edge, in parallel to the edge. This will make any water, bead and drop, not flowing behind everything, bringing back to the moisture is the worst enemy to a house thing...

For the record, the best spot normally is under the Eaves, as it provides some protection. However, as you already stated, the spots have already been cut, so use what you have.

Up
Mobile  Desktop