Forum Jump: 
 733Likes

post #1351 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Arny, earlier you had pointed to carl's website on the results of ABX tests. If you don't mind, I like to get your attention on this CD player test:

And the note under it. The testing found positive difference between them and that difference is explained (?) as the difference between 14 and "18" bit DACs in the respective players.

So this says that if I limit the CD resolution to 14 bits, the difference can be audible. Do you agree Arny?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
So this says that if I limit the CD resolution to 14 bits, the difference can be audible. Do you agree Arny?

post #1353 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Arny, earlier you had pointed to carl's website on the results of ABX tests. If you don't mind, I like to get your attention on this CD player test:

And the note under it. The testing found positive difference between them and that difference is explained (?) as the difference between 14 and "18" bit DACs in the respective players.

Not the only difference. Probably not even a significant difference.

Furthermore, the reconstruction filter in the CDP 101 was a LCR filter and was therefore subject to sample variations. The actual frequency response of any particular CDP 101 sample is not totally certain.

My measurements show the CDP 101's Dynamic range at 91 dB and 1 KHz THD+N at 88 dB, so the CDP 101 was not much better than 14 bits, either.

As far as Hevi's DAC tests go, if I read his post correctly he's not claiming that the test was an airtight DBT or totally scientific. That puts its results into a questionable state, whether we like them or not.
post #1354 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post
Yes, they are Snell C5s.

Note again, this was one of *4* systems used in the Meyer/Moran tests

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/explanation.htm
http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...r-measurements

post #1355 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Not the only difference. Probably not even a significant difference.

Furthermore, the reconstruction filter in the CDP 101 was a LCR filter and was therefore subject to sample variations. The actual frequency response of any particular CDP 101 sample is not totally certain.

My measurements show the CDP 101's Dynamic range at 91 dB and 1 KHz THD+N at 88 dB, so the CDP 101 was not much better than 14 bits, either.
Thank you for the quick reply Arny. And the info on CDP 101. I am puzzled what that has to do with the units tested:

The Sony was not the CDP-101 but CDP-707 ESD. Do we have a set of excuses we can cite to dismiss these results too?
Audionut11 likes this.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1356 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
One of the primary tenets of high end audio is anxiety.
There seems to be a lot of anxiety in the home theater threads, so I wouldn't say it is unique to the marble-encrusted-power-tower industry.

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ > digits > miniDSP > behringer > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest

Last edited by RayDunzl; 06-30-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #1357 of 2920 Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
There seems to be a lot of anxiety in the home theater threads, so I wouldn't say it is unique to the marble-encrusted-power-tower industry.
Doesn't change the fact that the High End industry relies on it to sell their products.
post #1358 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Sony was not the CDP-101 but CDP-707 ESD.
My bad.

Quote:
T
Do we have a set of excuses we can cite to dismiss these results too?
Given the absence of relevant technical tests then, it must all be a mystery. These tests were done by a different team in the Chicago area and they do not appear to be as rigorous overall as those done in SE michigan - AFAIK no corresponding technical tests were done. I'd ask Tom about it, but...

I looked up a CDP 707 service manual. Apparently a well built piece, way too bad that all we have to play on it is CDs.

It appears that the DAC chips were actually quad channel units with all of the sections hooked in parallel to get the 6 dB boost in dynamic range. And then we play these CDs on it that have only 70 dB or so DR because they are made in the real world, and play them in listening rooms that are probably even worse.
post #1359 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
I have to disagree with John Atkinson regarding Kevin. I cannot speak for what he may or may not have done while at Snell, but I can state with complete confidence that Kevin is not an engineer and is not the Engineer for any Revel speaker, past or present. Of course he is involved with the product specifications and final voicing. Of course he is part of a team along with Mark, Mechanical engineers, program managers, product managers, etc. Of course Kevin's input is extremely important to the overall success of Revel speakers as well as Levinson product and a good many other things we do at Harman. It is still true that Mark is the sole system designer for Revel box speakers. Marketing, product management and the like is not engineering.
No problem with you disagreeing with me, Greg. Thanks for the clarification.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
post #1360 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
As far as Hevi's DAC tests go, if I read his post correctly he's not claiming that the test was an airtight DBT or totally scientific. That puts its results into a questionable state, whether we like them or not.

Well, as far as DBT goes, you stated this in another thread, where a *very* similar test methodology was critisized for not beeing DBT:

Quote:

The pregenerated script triggered by one-way voice commands from the listeners to a hidden operator probably satisfies the reasonable requirements for a DBT.

If "scientific" means publishing in a peer-reviewed paper, so no, I don't have any such amitions.

post #1361 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I agree. Churning anxiety is a proven way to obtain extra dough for things that have questionable value, and the desire for extra dough is pretty much universal.

Last edited by arnyk; 07-01-2014 at 05:25 AM.
post #1362 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevi View Post
One conclusion that can be made is that under the circumstances, two of the participants detected differences in one DUT with statistical significance, so the hypothesis that "all DACs sound the same" was disproven in this setup.
Interesting test. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if the testers who couldn't really detect the differences between DACs thought they did, while the test was being run?

In other words, did they strongly believe they were making meaningful choices, or did it mostly sound the same to them, or differences were perhaps too subtle, or perhaps they couldn't remember them well enough to make the correct DUT identification?
post #1363 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 2073
Quote:
The home theater guys are typically wondering about the quality of their low-end components, there is a clear upgrade path with tangible rewards ahead of most of them. The high-end guys are hand-wringing over the quality of their high-end components, and there's often nowhere to go. It's a rare home theater guy who thinks blowing 60 grand on cables is going to somehow grant them access to Valhalla.

In this very thread, John Atkinson clearly stated that Stereophile does not test HDMI-compatible multi-channel receivers... because they are not 2-channel. IMO seems like an arbitrary distinction that (intentionally or not) erects a firewall against a whole class of devices that would threaten Stereophile's bread-and-butter "purist" 2-channel focus. Mind you, that's what the magazine's readers want—the exclusivity that comes with making anachronistic choices when it comes to both gear and music—so perhaps there is no point arguing. My first system (circa 1991) was based on JA's recommendations and it was memorably great. In fact, now that I've brought it up, it's story time...

I have a good friend who buys high-end gear. His original influence was me, and that Stereophile-rated system I bought back in 1991-1993. Today, he's $350,000-deep into Wilson and Krell gear. I'd say he spent 10X too much, relative to the performance of the system, thanks specifically to the sales tactics used by the high-end guys. Based on his taste in music, he'd be much better off with a maxed-out Seaton Sound system running off a good AVR, along with some room treatments. The hard part is how he can't even bear the thought that the high-end gear he owns doesn't represent the best performance his money can buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoeditor View Post
Just to clarify, all my measurements of jitter rejection have been with S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and USB audio data connections. There hasn't been a call for me to measure HDMI connections because Stereophile only reviews 2-channel products; we leave AVR reviews to our stablemate Sound&Vision.

I own the same Audio Precision analyzer but something I learned from the late Raymond Cooke was that all test equipment can and will lie to you. Performing any test requires more than just pressing the "Start" button.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com

Last edited by imagic; 07-01-2014 at 05:20 AM.
post #1364 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:

As a degreed EE, working off the premise there was indeed an audible difference, would you be confident in defending that conclusion as the primary cause or would other explanations take a more prominent role?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1365 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphara View Post
Interesting test. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if the testers who couldn't really detect the differences between DACs thought they did, while the test was being run?
It is not uncommon to have the impression that one is indeed hearing a difference during an ABX test.

In an ABX test a sighted evaluation is always readily available and sighted evaluations are strongly prone to perceptions that are positive for audible differences.

I encourage it to a degree. However I don't want people become cocky and thus miss a subtle difference.
post #1366 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
As a degreed EE, working off the premise there was indeed an audible difference, would you be confident in defending that conclusion as the primary cause or would other explanations take a more prominent role?
Tests of music player hardware are exceptionally difficult to do properly. If one player drifts out of synch by even 10 mSec the players can be differentiated even if exactly identical hardware, because there will be a slight brief echo when you switch to the one that is running behind.
post #1367 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The Philips has a single dac chip and a less complicated analog filter section and a SAA7030 digital filter.

The sony has a 'staggered dac' approach with two chips making up the dac and a more complicated analog filter.
Also the Sony had a direct line output and a separate volume control output. 'Raising the question which of the output was used.'

I can imagine that a slight difference could be audible.
Depending on circuit tolerances the Sony model may have audible differences between different player samples due too possible 'lo bit dac' non linearity.

Service manuals:

Philips SM
http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...Philips/CD101/

Sony SM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...69837884,d.bGQ
post #1368 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In this very thread, John Atkinson clearly stated that Stereophile does not test HDMI-compatible multi-channel receivers... because they are not 2-channel. IMO seems like an arbitrary distinction that (intentionally or not) erects a firewall against a whole class of devices that would threaten Stereophile's bread-and-butter "purist" 2-channel focus.
This isn't an arbitrary distinction. 80% of the magazine's readership have 2-channel systems, so the focus of the magazine's content addresses the interests of that majority. For the 20% who enjoy multichannel music reproduction, we have Kalman Rubinson's "Music in the Round" column. For video and home theater coverage, we left that to our stablemate Home Theater magazine, who in return left coverage of 2-channel audio to Stereophile. When we acquired Sound & Vision a year ago, the original plan was to merge it with Home Theater magazine. However, with the rapid commoditization of the home theater market, it was decided instead to roll Home Theater into Sound & Vision.

Quote:
Mind you, that's what the magazine's readers want—the exclusivity that comes with making anachronistic choices when it comes to both gear and music—so perhaps there is no point arguing.
Magazine editors who don't address the desires of their readers don't remain magazine editors very long. :-)

When I was around 10 years old, the same age that I became aware of the Periodic Table as mentioned in other postings in this thread, I read C.P. Snow's 1951 novel The Masters, The following statement has stuck in my memory ever since: "To be an influence in any society...one can be a little different, but only a little; a little above one's neighbours, but not too much."

If you go off on a tangent in which the readers have no interest, C.P. Snow warns that you would cease to have any influence. But if multichannel music replacement is to replace the 2-channel experience, you would see an increase in Stereophile's coverage of such hardware and recordings. But as all the signs are that such interest is static or even decreasing to judge by the products introduced at CES and other shows, I don't see that we will be expanding our coverage. And even Sound & Vision appears to be increasing its coverage of 2-channel components.

Quote:
My first system (circa 1991) was based on JA's recommendations and it was memorably great.
Glad it worked out for you.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
imagic likes this.

Last edited by stereoeditor; 07-01-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: To correct typo
post #1369 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
A Kevin Voecks design, please note. And thank you, Mr. Krueger, for including the link to the Stereophile review. Would that everyone who makes use of my work did likewise. :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Last edited by stereoeditor; 07-01-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #1370 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the High End industry relies on it to sell their products.
There is no such "fact." Audio is a hobby. Pursuing the next piece of hardware to buy is not based on "anxiety." It is based on satisfying the hobby. You honestly think Jay Leno buys all of those expensive cars because someone is inducing anxiety in him?

As I said, the only anxiety that you can take to bank is the one we show in these posts over what the other guy is doing. That is not satisfying a hobby so if you want to wonder about something, that is where you want to focus.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1371 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
I was not expressing my own opinion. Have you not read that website Chu? If you go there you see that I was making an observation based on the fact that if there is a difference, they often put in a footnote to explain why. Here is an example on capacitors: http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_caps.htm

The conditions of this test were extreme and do not represent normal operation. The experimenters could not confirm any audible difference between polypropelene and ceramic in many ABX tests under normal conditions. The condition that produced the above result of a difference was applying a 3.6 Watt heat source next to the capacitors. Even though the capacitor test circuit was not enclosed, with the added heat the ceramics lost capacitance to such an extent that the system's low frequence response was rolled off by 3 dB at 40 Hz.

So likewise under the CD player differences found, they say:

The Phillips CD-100 was serial number 345, the first CD player in the US and only 14-bit. The Sony CDP-707 uses 18-bit technology while the Panasonic SLS-295 uses 1-bit technology. These tests were published in PSACS Sound Bytes Vol. 7 No. 1 (Oct 96)

There would be no reason to comment that way unless they suspected the difference was due to 14 to "18" bit resolution differences.

You don't need an EE degree here. Just paying attention to details which is very important when it comes to interpreting testing results.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #1372 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You honestly think Jay Leno buys all of those expensive cars because someone is inducing anxiety in him?
Poor analogy. There are real, noticeable differences between cars. The same sort of differences don't exist between amps, wires, ICs, CD players, etc. (unless one is talking about the "jewelry" aspects), not to mention the plethora of ridiculous tweaks that are solemnly paid attention to. The gullible are indeed made to feel anxious, the goal being to get them to shell out money to get the supposed "improvements" (something you've spent umpteen posts doing).
Randy Bessinger likes this.
post #1373 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
... I don't choose to go into the reasons this has occurred or the political ramifications involved. ....
Thanks for the explanation. This says a lot though Don't have to imagine much.
post #1374 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Poor analogy. There are real, noticeable differences between cars. The same sort of differences don't exist between amps, wires, ICs, CD players, etc. (unless one is talking about the "jewelry" aspects), not to mention the plethora of ridiculous tweaks that are solemnly paid attention to. The gullible are indeed made to feel anxious, the goal being to get them to shell out money to get the supposed "improvements" (something you've spent umpteen posts doing).
And, collecting cars like in his collections is also an investment. I am sure that is also part of Jay's motivation. Same could be applied to paintings.
post #1375 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
In the words of "The Monster"...
HDMI bad! S/PDIF Go-o-o-o-o-od!

post #1376 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Re: One of the primary tenets of high end audio is anxiety.

Quote:
Yes, in search of an ever-receding mirage of "wider soundstage" or "greater focus" or "blacker background", etc.
Wider Soundstage - analagous to bigger screen TV - and what's the deal with all those extra audio channels, anyway?
Greater Focus - 4k, anyone?
Blacker Background - Plasma and OLED are reputedly valued for this too

Back to audio:

I value improvements in these areas - soundstage and focus. Blacker background - my gear is dead silent, I suppose it can be applied to added distortions/noise while playing.

When they aren't right - well, there is something wrong, be it equipment, or speaker positioning, or room problems, or the recording itself.

It's certainly a subjective thing. I don't know how you could conveniently measure your perception of the spatial attributes (illusion) of an audio presentation. I suppose some people are unable to perceive it at all. And qualitative, you simply may not care.

I first experienced stereo in 1959 when Dad and I completed the construction of the Eico integrated stereo and we sat between the Pilot speakers and were transfixed by the illusion.

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ > digits > miniDSP > behringer > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest
post #1377 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Back to the subject at hand, how many are either taking up the Scott and Mark's hi res test or intend to do so? Show of hands. What to think about the level differences reported in the files?
post #1378 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
I was not expressing my own opinion. Have you not read that website Chu? If you go there you see that I was making an observation based on the fact that if there is a difference, they often put in a footnote to explain why.
Yes, there's a footnote for the CDPs but I don't take that to mean that tiny blurb is their position as to why there was an audible difference. That's something I would place elsewhere with a bit more justification. They may have well listed the weights, colors or whatever.

Quote:
Here is an example on capacitors: http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_caps.htm

The conditions of this test were extreme and do not represent normal operation. The experimenters could not confirm any audible difference between polypropelene and ceramic in many ABX tests under normal conditions. The condition that produced the above result of a difference was applying a 3.6 Watt heat source next to the capacitors. Even though the capacitor test circuit was not enclosed, with the added heat the ceramics lost capacitance to such an extent that the system's low frequence response was rolled off by 3 dB at 40 Hz.
The capacitors are somewhat less complicated than a CDP.

Quote:
So likewise under the CD player differences found, they say:

The Phillips CD-100 was serial number 345, the first CD player in the US and only 14-bit. The Sony CDP-707 uses 18-bit technology while the Panasonic SLS-295 uses 1-bit technology. These tests were published in PSACS Sound Bytes Vol. 7 No. 1 (Oct 96)

There would be no reason to comment that way unless they suspected the difference was due to 14 to "18" bit resolution differences.
IMO you're overreaching

Quote:
You don't need an EE degree here. Just paying attention to details which is very important when it comes to interpreting testing results.
These are exceedingly brief and terse results. If you want to know the reason why they footnoted as they did then efforts should be made to contact them and ask for an explanation.

But let's run with it. You asked Arny if the difference in bits was an adequate reason to explain the audible differences. In your professional opinion would you concur with that?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House

Last edited by Chu Gai; 07-01-2014 at 02:16 PM.
post #1379 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wider Soundstage - analagous to bigger screen TV
What electronic audio parameter corresponds to “wider soundstage”?
Quote:
Greater Focus - 4k, anyone?
What electronic audio parameter corresponds to “greater focus”?

Quote:
Blacker Background - Plasma and OLED are reputedly valued for this too
How low does noise have to be to perceive a “blacker background”?

Quote:
It's certainly a subjective thing. I don't know how you could conveniently measure your perception of the spatial attributes (illusion) of an audio presentation.
The “it can’t be measured” aspect is a favorite trope of high end audio.
post #1380 of 2920 Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What electronic audio parameter corresponds to “wider soundstage”?
What electronic audio parameter corresponds to “greater focus”?
Perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
How low does noise have to be to perceive a “blacker background”?
Perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
The “it can’t be measured” aspect is a favorite trope of high end audio.
I did not say "it can't be measured". Quit putting words in my mouth, I soundly scolded you for that already.

I'll be back later...

Closed Thread Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page