Connecting cambridge ensemble to yamaha receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I know nothing about speaker setup, so sorry for what is probably the naivete of this question. I have an old Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver and speakers, and found the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble floorstanding speakers shown here for cheap at a garage sale. I'm not sure if anything special is needed to hook up a 2 piece set like that. Can I just splice wires from the front L/R receiver to two sets, should I use both the A and B front connections, or what?
Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Replace the new speakers with the old speakers. Using two sets of speakers simultaneously is bad for technical reasons.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not trying to run both sets of front speakers, the cambridge speakers are two separate cases for each side, a satellite and a woofer I guess. I'm not sure how to wire those speakers.
Thanks
post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Here ya go!:
http://www.productmanualguide.com/pdf/original-enemble-manual-29149.pdf
Note, that link starts out as .pdf, but changes to .html and goes to a registration link. If you save it to your computer when it is a .pdf, you can look at it as long as you would like!wink.gif
whorlwind likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'd found that link but it wouldn't load for me before, I just tried saving it as pdf though and it worked fine, thanks for the suggestion!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Basically, you need the passive bass bin connected in parallel with each satellite. As pointed out in the manual, you can accomplish this one of 3 ways:

1. Connect both the bass bin and its accompanying satellite to the AVR's speaker output.
2. Connect the bass bin to the AVR's speaker outputs then the satellite to the bass bin's inputs.
3. Connect the satellite to the AVR's speaker outputs then the bass bin to the satellite's inputs.

I would do whichever is both easiest and tidiest to wire.

Regarding using the AVR's "A" and "B" outputs, it should be OK despite the warning in the manual not to do so. But I would have to know more about your AVR's "A" and "B" outputs before I could say that with 100% surety. On most AVRs (and 2-channel receivers, too), nowadays, the "A" and "B" outputs simply represent parallel connections (as opposed to serial, as discussed in that old manual) off the front channel amplifiers.

Just be aware that connecting like that and operating the bass bin or satellite separately might present impedance issues. However, I didn't see (unless I missed it) a warning in the manual regarding operating them individually, so maybe there is something that is not so apparent about exactly how they operate. I seem to vaguely remember a discussion in the distant past either here or in another forum where someone wanted to either use the bass bins or the satellites separately and the upshot was that the impedance the satellite and bass bin presented individually was the same as when they were paralleled. How? Beats me. But if you DO connect this way, I would just make sure you always operate A+B together just to be safe.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat