Speakers only 8" from wall, what can I do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

My current space is only allowing 8" of space between the wall and my speakers and one of them is only 7" away from the side wall too. My subwoofer is being built right now but at the moment, any music I play with my bookshelves sounds terribly boomy. On top of that, it has echoes and really obvious reflections. I tried to move the speakers out more but then its too dangerous because my son will knock them over. I tried searching for the foam I see people use on their walls but I don't know exactly which is the right kind. I am wondering if this helps much at all. 

Also I am wondering, since my bookshelves are set to large at the moment, it will be much better once my sub comes in and I cross them over at 80hz. 

Please let me know if these two solutions will help and if there is any other way to resolve the issue. My front is a pair of PSB Imagine B. These speakers sounded amazing in my old apartment but now they sound pretty terrible and I am considering getting rid of them for some front ported speakers instead.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
some 2" acoustic panels behind and to the side of the speakers would help tremendously. I've bought many panels from http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-242-acoustic-panel/ which are fairly priced and offer great performance. You can email them a layout of your room with pictures and they will recommend their best option to fit your needs.
DNZone likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-23-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Dirac Live room correction seems particularly good at fixing early reflection problems. You can get it in software only versions or in hardware, like this:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series

I also agree that panels would help a lot. Both would probably give the best results.
DNZone likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Thanks for the suggestions but my options are somewhat limited due to living in China. Thats why I was hoping for a recommendation for some kind of generic foam (which would also be much cheaper :D) that could have similar effects. Not worried about it not looking nice. Generic materials here are very cheap. 

As for room correction, I am not sure how to even search for that kind of stuff here and it costs more than I can spend right now to buy the DIRAC gear. Not exactly sure how room correction works with AVRs either since I've never done it before. I know my Denon X1000 has multiEQ XT for ball park equalilization effects but not sure how to override those EQ settings or how to run any of that stuff.

Since labour here is cheap maybe I can find a professional to just do this stuff for me.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You could get some stands that have a very broad base, so they are hard to knock over.

Another solution is to put the speakers on top of a pair of wood bookshelf units; around 0.3 to 0.4 meter square and 1 meter or less in height.

These can be filled with books or LP records, and will be too heavy to knock over. These make excellent stable stands.

That will allow you to bring the speakers out a bit more.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If these speakers are rear ported, you could add some foam to the bass ports to cut down on the distorted bass. I know some speaker companies supply these foam blockers. Not sure if PSB does but you can check. smile.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page