Can Someone Please Interpret this for me ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the Frequency Response between two speakers mention these figures

For the first one it says : Frequency Response-51Hz – 36kHz ±3dB on reference axis (Frequency range -6dB at 36Hz and 42kHz )

And for the second one it says : Frequency Reponses-45Hz-24KHz +/-3dB/useable bass to 40Hz (f6)

What is it supposed to mean ?

Which one would have better output going by those figures ? How does one interpret it ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
You can tell pretty much nothing about the speakers by that.
post #3 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

You can tell pretty much nothing about the speakers by that.

What I meant was by looking at those figures does it mean that the first one has a lot of low frequencies and hence will have better BASS then the second and vice-a-versa etc...
post #4 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post

What I meant was by looking at those figures does it mean that the first one has a lot of low frequencies and hence will have better BASS then the second and vice-a-versa etc...
No, you simply can't tell from that little information.
post #5 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, you simply can't tell from that little information.

Ok so if I post the product link for both the speakers, looking at the more detailed specifications do you think you will be able to tell me, atleast from the figures which one sounds promising. ?
post #6 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so if I post the product link for both the speakers, looking at the more detailed specifications do you think you will be able to tell me, atleast from the figures which one sounds promising. ?
I might. Go ahead.
post #7 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I might. Go ahead.

Ok Thanks ! Here you Go...

1. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/Zeppelin-Air/shop.html

(Look in the specifications tab for technical specifications, just a little below when on the web-page)

2. http://www.klipsch.com/kmc-3-wireless-music-system/details
post #8 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

if I post the product link for both the speakers, looking at the more detailed specifications do you think you will be able to tell me, atleast from the figures which one sounds promising. ?

Complete specs are useful, but with loudspeakers it's best to listen side by side to compare them. And hopefully have a dealer that will let you return them if you're not satisfied.

This video is not exactly related, but it's close:

AES Damn Lies

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Complete specs are useful, but with loudspeakers it's best to listen side by side to compare them. And hopefully have a dealer that will let you return them if you're not satisfied.

This video is not exactly related, but it's close:

AES Damn Lies

--Ethan

Ethan, I generally can't watch "informative" videos, I'd rather read some text and look at pictures or go wash the dishes.

However...

I'm nineteen minutes into "AES Damn Lies", and still watching/interested.

Not that you are saying a lot that I don't know something about already, but the presentation (and content) is very extremely good.

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #10 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Guys can we not go off topic please makes me unnecessarily more confused rolleyes.gif

Thanks smile.gif
post #11 of 51 Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Sorry...

Here is an example tutorial for reading loudspeaker specs:

http://www.mcsquared.com/nsca98.htm

If you don't like that one, there are more:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+interpret+loudspeaker+specifications

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #12 of 51 Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post

I'd rather read some text and look at pictures or go wash the dishes ... the presentation (and content) is very extremely good.

Thanks very much.

I can't help you with the dishes, but my Audio Expert book linked below is a good read if I say so myself.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

post #13 of 51 Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Listening to speakers side by side is a good idea, but still may not be representative of how they will sound In your room. You can determine you like one over the other in the shop, but may still not like them at home. Listening to them in their intended environment provides the best listening opportunity.
post #14 of 51 Old 05-26-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok Thanks ! Here you Go...

1. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/Zeppelin-Air/shop.html

(Look in the specifications tab for technical specifications, just a little below when on the web-page)

2. http://www.klipsch.com/kmc-3-wireless-music-system/details
Oh, it's docks your talking about.
Like computer speakers, their specs are mainly a lot of wishful thinking, especially if you play them reasonably loud. Go along and listen to both and choose the one you like best.
post #15 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, it's docks your talking about.
Like computer speakers, their specs are mainly a lot of wishful thinking, especially if you play them reasonably loud. Go along and listen to both and choose the one you like best.

Yeah ! I am talking about Docks ! Computer Speakers.

I demoed both, still not able to decide on my own...Hence here asking for advice and suggestion.
post #16 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

If the Frequency Response between two speakers mention these figures

For the first one it says : Frequency Response-51Hz – 36kHz ±3dB on reference axis (Frequency range -6dB at 36Hz and 42kHz )

And for the second one it says : Frequency Reponses-45Hz-24KHz +/-3dB/useable bass to 40Hz (f6)

What is it supposed to mean ?

Which one would have better output going by those figures ? How does one interpret it ?

Frequency response figures, even those with dB tolerances, are not predictive of sonic accuracy without information about nonlinear distortion or even just nominally clean operation at representative SPLs.

There are computer-friendly speakers such as the Behringer B2031A and JBL LSR 308 for which some maximum clean SPL information is available, but it is still sketchy.

Given the tiny size and low maximum power consumption, these particular speakers can't support enthusiastic listening. That's just the laws of physics speaking.
post #17 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Frequency response figures, even those with dB tolerances, are not predictive of sonic accuracy without information about nonlinear distortion or even just nominally clean operation at representative SPLs.

There are computer-friendly speakers such as the Behringer B2031A and JBL LSR 308 for which some maximum clean SPL information is available, but it is still sketchy.

Given the tiny size and low maximum power consumption, these particular speakers can't support enthusiastic listening. That's just the laws of physics speaking.

I don't understand why is everyone trying to tell me here how my choice is bad and how these small speakers cannot do the job for me ! I am ok with it ! Now for heavens sake, if someone can advise me between these two speakers rather than entirely question my choice of speakers I am ok with it, I just want a suggestion of the two ! Let's be on topic :-)
post #18 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Based on those specs and nothing else I would guess you would not hear a significant difference. Looking at the links, the B&W is a three-way system vs. the two-way Klipsch system and has more powerful amplifiers, for an extra $200. That would indicate the B&W is a better-sounding system but that is not really enough to go on without listening to them. Unfortunately, like everybody else has said, the only way to really know for sure is to hear them side by side in your room. Or the store, or someplace. With limited bass response and presumably near-field listening the room is less important than simply hearing them side by side.

You may want to look at reviews for both docks and post in the speaker forum for other suggestions. $400 and $600 seems like a lot of money for an iPod doc. If you have a PC you might be better off plugging it into that and getting a decent set of speakers for the computer instead. You have not stated your application nor price range.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #19 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Based on those specs and nothing else I would guess you would not hear a significant difference. Looking at the links, the B&W is a three-way system vs. the two-way Klipsch system and has more powerful amplifiers, for an extra $200. That would indicate the B&W is a better-sounding system but that is not really enough to go on without listening to them. Unfortunately, like everybody else has said, the only way to really know for sure is to hear them side by side in your room. Or the store, or someplace. With limited bass response and presumably near-field listening the room is less important than simply hearing them side by side.

You may want to look at reviews for both docks and post in the speaker forum for other suggestions. $400 and $600 seems like a lot of money for an iPod doc. If you have a PC you might be better off plugging it into that and getting a decent set of speakers for the computer instead. You have not stated your application nor price range.

Are you sure that the Zeppelin Air has 3 way speaker and Klipsch 2 way ! Where did you find out that Klipsch is just 2 way ? I know maybe a Zeppelin Air is 3 way, My application would be to listen music and watch movies from my MacBook and iPad. Music wise I am in to Techno, EDM, Trance, Hip-Hop kinda music so Bass is important for me, I am also looking for speakers in which when I watch a movie the dialogues should be clear. (now people don't start a new discussion here that these kind of speakers are not meant for movie watching) I know that still I wanna use it to watch movies ! With whatever effect thy are capable of giving !

$600 is fine with me!
post #20 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Follow the links you gave and look under "specifications" for each speaker. They list the drivers and amplifiers.

If deep bass is important to you then you are going to want to get some sort of real subwoofer to go with either system.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #21 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 

If deep bass is important to you then you are going to want to get some sort of real subwoofer to go with either system.

And looking at those product links that I have put ! Which speaker has a more bigger Sub-Woofer ? B&W ?
post #22 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Neither one has a subwoofer, despite one of them calling their low-frequency driver that, and I doubt you would notice a difference in bass between the two systems. The woofers are essentially the same size (~5") and specified frequency response is comparable. Go to the subwoofer forum and look around to see what a real subwoofer provides.

post #23 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah ! I am talking about Docks ! Computer Speakers.

I demoed both, still not able to decide on my own...Hence here asking for advice and suggestion.
I'd agree with Don's suggestions for some small powered monitors instead of a dock, which to my mind (and wallet) are vastly overpriced for what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Neither one has a subwoofer, despite one of them calling their low-frequency driver that, and I doubt you would notice a difference in bass between the two systems. The woofers are essentially the same size (~5") and specified frequency response is comparable. Go to the subwoofer forum and look around to see what a real subwoofer provides.
Better still, go to the DIY subs forum and see what the big boys play with. I will soon have over 50 litres of volume displacement from my LF drivers, and I'm not at the top of the list.
post #24 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 
I'd agree with Don's suggestions for some small powered monitors instead of a dock, which to my mind (and wallet) are vastly overpriced for what they can do.

I am saying this for the ten thousand time I am Okkkkkkkkkkkkk with it ! Can someone suggest me from what I want to buy rather then saying what I should Buy !! mad.gif
post #25 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
You said bass was important to you and those speakers you're looking at won't do bass reproduction very well. Just because you start a thread doesn't mean you're going to throttle opinion or suggestions successfully because of that smile.gif.

I'd pick either one but you probably won't find many around here with experience with either let alone both docks. Why try to pick from spec alone? Go listen to them, if you like them both buy the one your wallet likes the most. although I think neither of these offer much value. There are better ways to get better sound....whether its Okkkkkkkkkkkkk or not.

post #26 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I said BASS was important for me, but to choose from only these two not anything else !!
post #27 of 51 Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
There's always eenie meenie miney moe. smile.gif

post #28 of 51 Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone suggest me from what I want to buy rather then saying what I should Buy !! mad.gif
Sorry no. I would never buy one of these sorts of things.
post #29 of 51 Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

Yes I said BASS was important for me, but to choose from only these two not anything else !!

It is probable that by our standards neither product has any bass at all.

You might want to ask someone else\ who is not so discerning!
post #30 of 51 Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First of all 3db is considered the half power point which is why it is used as a reference in frequency response.  In other words, if for example it took 2 watts of power to produce a level of -3db at 51Hz then it would require 4 watts of power to bring it up to 0db and 8 watts to get to +3db.  Secondly human hearing is generally considered to range from 20 Hz to 20KHz.  So frequencies outside of this range can be ignored.  

So in example 1, 51Hz - 20KHz fall within the 3db range while in example 2, 45Hz - 20KHz is within the same range.  

Example 2 would seem t have the wider frequency range for listening.

Example 1 would be better suited for the higher range of frequencies.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page