3k noob home theatre questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3k noob home theatre questions

So I hope this is the right place to ask. I was on a forum with an audiophile section and they didn't have enough people there to realy give me a good Ideea of what I should get.

so I am currently at

"Pioneer Andrew Jones

Cost for a full system:
pioneer SC-1323-k for 800
4x FS51/52 Towers (FR/FL+SR/SL) = $300 if you wait for a sale
1x Center = 80
2x BS21/22 for rear surrounds = $75
100ft Monoprice 12AWG wire = $25
"

The svs Dual PB-2000 subs were also recommended because they were 'amazing on paper'
"

ANyways I am open to making a custom sub box etc. the room is a 600sq ft rectangle and music wise I listen to indie, rap, dubstep, pretty much everything but country.

Also getting a 4K compatible tv but an oppo BDP-103D as well so upscaling isn't super important I don't think

I am a complete noob so some direction and everything would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

no hellp?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatmmrkrive View Post
no hellp?
It looks like you have it all figured out already, based on what you want to do.

Pioneer may be having a little sale on the speaker setup:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ages/SP-PK52FS

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
>
>
and
>

Last edited by RayDunzl; 06-14-2014 at 12:29 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think you're not getting much response because your OP is not worded very well....what is the "3K" in the title even referring to...your total budget or....?

It's not clear....have you already bought all the components you listed, or are these just on your list for consideration?

Are you asking for opinions on these components?

If upscaling isn't "super important" to you and you're obviously trying to save money, why are you considering (already bought?) the high dollar Oppo?

To summarize - from your OP I don't think people really know what it is you are asking. Simple as that.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

3000$ is about what I want to initially invest in a system.

Yeah I want opinions. I was just suggested that and wanted to know what some people who really knew audio thought...

I haven't gotten anything yet. I don't have any descent audio stores around me and I don't want to buy something off the internet without knowing if its any good...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Phoenix (PHX) doesn't have any decent audio stores?

http://www.yellowpages.com/phoenix-a...ipment-dealers

My advice for a "noob":

Start with two channels - get that going well, then add the surround stuff (with which I have exactly zero experience due to an equivalent amount of interest).

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>

Last edited by RayDunzl; 06-19-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 256
System Choices

Quote:
3000$ is about what I want to initially invest in a system.

Yeah I want opinions. I was just suggested that and wanted to know what some people who really knew audio thought...

I haven't gotten anything yet. I don't have any descent audio stores around me and I don't want to buy something off the internet without knowing if its any good...

The Pioneer speakers are fairly good, but for a $3000 system there are better choices.

First of all, I would start with a NAD T758 receiver. That is a MUCH better receiver that can drive speakers with lower distortion than ANY Pioneer or Yamaha receiver, no matter what its phony power ratings might indicate. You can get one for $999. It will sound much better and drive a wider choice of speakers with better sound quality.

Than I would look at speakers from PSB, KEF, or Monitor Audio. A pair of PSB Image T5 speakers, plus a C4 center speaker and a pair of B5 speakers will cost well under $2000 from Saturday Audio. Those are 100% better than the Pioneer speakers (which are pretty decent for their low price).

Floor speakers are only required for the front two; the rest do not need the power capability or bass extension, and you are wasting money on more than two.

A Sony rep I talked to at Best Buy a few months back told me 4K is dead on arrival, as Sony is lukewarm in its commitment at the production end, and all the other media producers are totally uninterested in it.

There just isn't going to be much if any 4K media to view, so save your money; that was his message.

He talked me out of buying a 4K set, and I saved a bunch of money on a 60" Sony as a result.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
So I hope this is the right place to ask. I was on a forum with an audiophile section and they didn't have enough people there to realy give me a good Ideea of what I should get.

so I am currently at

"Pioneer Andrew Jones

Cost for a full system:
pioneer SC-1323-k for 800
4x FS51/52 Towers (FR/FL+SR/SL) = $300 if you wait for a sale
1x Center = 80
2x BS21/22 for rear surrounds = $75
100ft Monoprice 12AWG wire = $25
"

The svs Dual PB-2000 subs were also recommended because they were 'amazing on paper'
"

ANyways I am open to making a custom sub box etc. the room is a 600sq ft rectangle and music wise I listen to indie, rap, dubstep, pretty much everything but country.

Also getting a 4K compatible tv but an oppo BDP-103D as well so upscaling isn't super important I don't think

I am a complete noob so some direction and everything would be really appreciated.
Given that the speakers are not that efficient and you have a big room, I would spend less on the receiver and more on the speakers. An Ascend 340 system might be a possibility.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...isor.mv#bottom

Although there might be other choices that are more efficient that might do an even better job of filling your space.

Also, buying these dual subs will save you a bit.

http://www.svsound.com/specials/outl...d#.U6YmUxZwgcs

I would also start 5.1 and then move up.

If you go 5.1, this is a possible receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X100...ds=avr%3Dx2000

But to start out with, the Pioneer speakers are not the most efficient and I think you want something more efficient to fill your space.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

so seeing as I am not doing 4K and am getting an upscaler and a few other things like financing...
budget of 5kish+ if I can get everything on amazon or newegg
1k for receiver, one svs pb12 plus now on amazon wait on the second till I pay off some pc components on bill me later,
1k on amps and them 3k on speakers alone probably
was considering pulling the trigger on some probably not as good speakers..
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page