Using powered studio monitors as part of a 5.1 surround sound system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using powered studio monitors as part of a 5.1 surround sound system

I've got a pair of dynaudio BM5a powered speakers. I'd like to use them as the two front speakers for a 5.1 surround sound system AND as my studio monitors for my motif xs8 keyboard.

Is there anyway to do this? Would my sound be awful if I do?

I've only got a 624 sqft condo and I've got both my LG lb7100 tv and my keyboard side by side on the same wall.

The BM5a speakers serve only my keyboard right now. Sound is fantastic on them and I really don't want to have to put 5 speakers on the same wall in my tiny condo so was hoping to use the Bm5a's both for my keyboard and my 5.1 home theatre.

Is this at all possible? I was going to get a motu ultralite mkii hybrid audio interface that has s/pdif toslink and optical input/output. But I don't see any a/v recievers that accept speakers in that fashion. Don't know if I'm headed in the right direction here.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 154
powered speakers have amp sbuilt into them. So from the receiver's point of view, the signal flow is into an amp, not a speaker, when going to the powered speakers. You need a receiver with line level outputs for the left and right channel in order to use those speakers.

You could connect the Motif into the receiver using quarter inch to rca cables (or a quarter-to-rca adapter on the receiver end, then play it through the receiver, just switching to whatever channel you used for the Motif connection. Might take a little experimentation to find the output level on the keyboard that works well with the input expetations of the receiver, but once you learn that, it's easy to manage.

You theoretically could also switch connections between receiver and Motif, but that's a pain, and using a Y cable to connect both directly to the speakers can cause weirdness because the two sources aren't isolated from each other.

The speakers should sound fine Whatever you use for a center, unless it's identical, will likely have a different frequency response and how well center and the left and right will blend for 5.1 content is partly personal preference, and partly luck. BUt I've lived reasonably happliy with quite mismatched center and left-right speakers when that's what was available to me . . . FWIW.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post
You need a receiver with line level outputs for the left and right channel in order to use those speakers.
Forgot to mention, I also have a guitar, and 2 microphones I want to plug in and play live/record all at the same time as I'm playing the keyboard so I'm thinking I still need that motu audio interface?

Maybe run RCA outs from A/V reciever to motu audio (if there aren't A/V recievers with coaxial s/pdif out for left and right speakers combined)? Then motu would have the bm5a speakers connected to it as "monitor out"

Does this kind of a/v receiver even exist and if so would my sound quality degrade with this setup (I would think not, but not sure)?

Thanks.

Last edited by heehee62; 06-16-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Can't you just get a mixing board that will accept all of your inputs (an allow you to adjust levels) that has a full range 2 channel output? That could be connected to one of the inputs on your (pre-amp capable) AVR - then use the Front L/R preamp outputs of the AVR to your powered speakers and the AVR amplifier outputs to the rest of the 5.1 speaker system.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Can't you just get a mixing board that will accept all of your inputs (an allow you to adjust levels) that has a full range 2 channel output? That could be connected to one of the inputs on your (pre-amp capable) AVR - then use the Front L/R preamp outputs of the AVR to your powered speakers and the AVR amplifier outputs to the rest of the 5.1 speaker system.
Yes, that will work. thank you.

Is this one of those pre-amp capable mixers a/v recievers you guys are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11...C1NVMY1YKQ841E

Been having difficulties finding some. Hope I can find some cheaper ones.

Last edited by heehee62; 06-17-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
According to the photos on that web site, that Pioneer AVR has front and multi-room preamp outputs only - which might be perfect for you.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/VSX-1124-K

The Denon AVR-X4000 is over $1200 and has full multi-channel preamp outputs and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 - but that might be more than you want to spend.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
The Denon AVR-X4000 is over $1200 and has full multi-channel preamp outputs and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 - but that might be more than you want to spend.
Darn, everything is so expensive. I'm tempted to just get a soundbar surround system for the home theatre and keep the studio monitors just for the band equipment (this way still only 3 "speakers" on my wall by the tv). But so far, I've hated the sound of all soundbar systems I've tried so will have to think about it.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by heehee62; 06-17-2014 at 06:06 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee62 View Post
Darn, everything is so expensive. I'm tempted to just get a soundbar surround system for the home theatre and keep the studio monitors just for the band equipment (this way still only 3 "speakers" on my wall by the tv). But so far, I've hated the sound of all soundbar systems I've tried so will have to think about it.

Thanks for all your help.

The more expensive soundbars are actually quite impressive, in my opinion. My parents bought a high-end one from Yamaha that even has the YPAO room correction, and I was amazed at what it could do. MartinLogan has one with the folded motion tweeters that looks very nice too.

If you don't mind spending a bit more, check some of those higher-end ones out.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat
Gear in this thread - lb7100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page