Problems configuring simultaneous analog/digital output (LONG) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problems configuring simultaneous analog/digital output (LONG)

I recently bought a Yamaha HTR-3066 AV receiver and Samsung PN64F5500AFXZA TV. AFAIK, they are both 2013 models. I am happy with the setup, except that I am not able to figure out how to use an analog device for playback at the same time I am listening to digital audio.

The source for virtually all of our viewing is a HTPC running Windows 7 64 bit. The analog device, a ReSound Unite TV Streamer, which connects with RCA plugs, sends wireless stereo sound to my hearing aids. The goal is to have digital 2.1 or 5.1 from the receiver to speakers for several people viewing together while I am hearing the same source through my hearing aids via the analog device. This worked with my previous setup because the TV (also a Samsung) had analog outputs on the back. The Streamer has independent volume control so it is not critical that I otherwise be able to control its volume.

Here is what I’ve tried:

(1) There are red and white RCA analog audio outs on the rear of the receiver, but I learned from reading some forums that this receiver is not capable of outputting digital and analog simultaneously, which I confirmed by trying. Massive Bummer.

(2) Plugging the analog device into the receiver’s headphone jack with an adaptor is not a solution because that automatically mutes the receiver’s other outputs.

(3) The video card on my HTPC has analog outputs and several digital outputs, but I am running Windows 7, which only lets me output one at a time. That is, if I select HDMI out (to the receiver), I cannot simultaneously output via digital optical (toslink) or analog to the analog device. (It is not a RealTek card, which I’ve read can be made to output digital and analog simultaneously.)

(4) I downloaded and trialed an application called Virtual Audio Cable. It worked, and I was able to simultaneously output from two of the HTPC’s outputs, simultaneously getting digital sound through the receiver while simultaneously getting sound to my hearing aids via the analog device, but the sound was very degraded. (I looked at some trouble shooting information for Virtual Audio Cable and the advice was about limiting the burden on the processor, stopping other applications, etc. I decided I needed a harware solution, not a software one.)

(5) The TV has no analog outputs, but it does have a digital optical (toslink) output. I purchased a DAC (digital to analog converter) with toslink input and RCA outputs from Monoprice (Item DCA01). To make the TV send a signal via toslink, I had to go into the TV's settings for speakers and select “External Speaker”, which is one of three selection choices: “External Speaker”, “TV Speaker” and “Receiver”. When I select “External Speaker”, the toslink sends a signal, via the DAC, to my analog device, but the receiver stops sending a signal to the speakers connected to the receiver. Foiled again.

I know that I can upgrade the receiver to one that will simultaneously output digital and analog signals, but was hoping to find a cheaper solution, especially since this receiver more than meets my needs in other respects.

Also, I would like to keep the HDMI cabling as it is – that is, HDMI from the HTPC to the receiver and HDMI from the receiver to the TV – because that is necessary to enable me to take advantage of ARC (audio return channel) functionality, although this gear is still new and I have not figured out what the ARC feature will actually do for me or how valuable that is.

Any suggestions would be enormously appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 279
If you are handy, build a voltage divider to tap the appropriate speaker outputs to send a reduced signal to your streamer.

There are plenty of EE's here over-qualified to design such a circuit, cost, maybe $5, unless you have the parts in your junkpile.

Here's my quick and dirty:

I don't get why you don't have active outputs on the receiver. did you try these?

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
>
>
and
>

Last edited by RayDunzl; 06-18-2014 at 10:21 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Ray.

I had tried the outputs you pointed out. I tried again last night. Unless there is a setting on the receiver that I am overlooking, they are not outputting anything, at least when I am using HDMI into the receiver as the source.

I found a Customer Review on Amazon's page for the HTR-3066 which confirms my experience: "As with most receivers in this price range, the audio output will only route analog sources through them. HDMI and optical inputs will not be sent via the analog out." That Reviewer seemed knowledgeable, which makes me think my problem was not due to incorrect settings.

I probably have the capability and a few resistors around to assemble a couple of those voltage dividers per your drawing. Thank you for that. It looks like my best potential solution so far.

It's disappointing to me that my 2007 Samsung plasma TV is equipped with a feature that my 2013 Samsung plasma TV lacks: analog audio outs that function whenever the TV is on, regardless of TV's source material. (But maybe not surprising since my 2007 55" plasma weighs waaaay more - and costed more - than my 2013 65" plasma.)

Hey, Ray, I am grateful for you reading about my problem and offering these valuable suggestions.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 279
You're welcome.

Here's a link to somebody doing the same thing. http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

SOLVED - or at least I found a work-around that suits me.

I reconsidered my attempted solution #5 in the OP, and figured that the receiver only stopped sending a signal to the speakers because the TV was telling it to. This must be the ARC system at work, since, as I've mentioned, the cabling consists of a HDMI cable from the HTPC to receiver and another HDMI cable from receiver to the TV. So, I turned off the ARC functionality, so that the TV is now sending the audio to the "external speaker" (i.e., my streamer) as before, but it is no longer able to tell the receiver to stop powering the speakers while it is doing so. I am including the actual steps for doing this at the bottom of this post for any Yamaha HTR-3066 owners who may have encountered this problem and, like me, do not understand their receiver's operation very well.

I consider this only a work around for two reasons. First, I have obviously lost ARC functionality (you must decide for yourself how valuable ARC is to you). Second, the PN64F5500AFXZA is a smart TV. Because I use a HTPC for almost everything, I don't used the smart features. However, for users of the smart features, the audio will only be be coming from the external speakers and not from the receiver as well, which could make my solution unacceptable for some.

Here are the changes I made: Remove the HDMI cable from the "ARC HDMI" input on the TV and place it in another of the HDMI inputs. On the HTR-3066, go to setup>HDMI>Configuration, and turn "HDMI Control" off. Then go to setup>HDMI>Configuration>Audio Output, and turn on both "Amp" and "HDMI OUT (TV)". Now, on the TV, I find when I go to Menu>Sound>Speaker Settings>Speaker Select, that "Receiver" is grayed out and no longer selectable (because ARC has been turned off), leaving me with only two options, "external speakers" and "TV Speakers".

Ray, thank you again for your guidance and suggestions.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
htr-3066 , pn64f5500afxza
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page