Setup questions. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtn-tech

post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setup questions.

Setup is 3.0.
Receiver is Yamaha RX-V475. (still at default 8ohm setting)
Fronts are Pioneer FS52.
Center is Pioneer C22.
Listening distance is around five feet.

1. When I pause my receiver and turn the volume up I get an audible hissing when the volume reaches around -8 and gets louder as I continue down to 0 (I haven't tried to keep going louder). Is this normal?

2. Audio is very quiet when watching movies from a blu-ray disc or streaming from Netflix through a Firetv. Especially the dialogue. I often need to turn the receiver all the way to -15 or -10 and at those levels it still isn't very loud. I have both devices connected through HDMI and set to output surround sound to the receiver. The receiver is usually set to straight or 5 channel stereo.

Is this normal? Streaming free Pandora through the same FireTV only requires the volume to be at around -35 to equal a similar loudness as Netflix at -15. Is it safe to continue turning it up or will I have a problem with clipping?

I don't have a sound meter but I can tell you that I have had my ears tested within the last year and the doctor's words were " I could use your ears to calibrate my equipment" so this isn't a case of being hard of hearing.

3. I live above someone and while I haven't received any complaints yet, I would like to be respectful to them and cut out the lower frequencies when it's late. I have found that telling the receiver that I have a sub allows me to set the front speakers to small which allows me to set the crossover to a higher level to accomplish this goal. Is it safe to run the amplifier like this?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by xcuses; 06-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcuses View Post
Setup is 3.0. Receiver is Yamaha RX-V475. (still at default 8ohm setting) Fronts are Pioneer FS52. Center is Pioneer C22. Listening distance is around five feet. 1. When I pause my receiver and turn the volume up I get an audible hissing when the volume reaches around -8 and gets louder as I continue down to 0 (I haven't tried to keep going louder). Is this normal? 2. Audio is very quiet when watching movies from a blu-ray disc or streaming from Netflix through a Firetv. Especially the dialogue. I often need to turn the receiver all the way to -15 or -10 and at those levels it still isn't very loud. I have both devices connected through HDMI and set to output surround sound to the receiver. The receiver is usually set to straight or 5 channel stereo. Is this normal? Streaming free Pandora through the same FireTV only requires the volume to be at around -35 to equal a similar loudness as Netflix at -15. Is it safe to continue turning it up or will I have a problem with clipping? I don't have a sound meter but I can tell you that I have had my ears tested within the last year and the doctor's words were " I could use your ears to calibrate my equipment" so this isn't a case of being hard of hearing. 3. I live above someone and while I haven't received any complaints yet, I would like to be respectful to them and cut out the lower frequencies when it's late. I have found that telling the receiver that I have a sub allows me to set the front speakers to small which allows me to set the crossover to a higher level to accomplish this goal. Is it safe to run the amplifier like this? Thank you for your time.
Sounds like the internal channel trim settings are out of whack. Quickest and easiest way I know of to get them set more optimally is to find the mic and run YPAO.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Sounds like the internal channel trim settings are out of whack. Quickest and easiest way I know of to get them set more optimally is to find the mic and run YPAO.
I have used the mic for YPAO calibration. Toggling PEQ on and off only changes the sound quality but not the volume.

Edit, fixed that ugly wall of text. I didn't notice when I pasted it in.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
I have used the mic for YPAO calibration. Toggling PEQ on and off only changes the sound quality but not the volume.

Edit, fixed that ugly wall of text. I didn't notice when I pasted it in.
What are the current settings of the internal channel trims?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 293
You can just turn the subwoofer power off at night.

Why would you care if there is noise when you pause the source?

The voltage output levels of the sources do vary a lot in some cases.

That is why you have a volume control, to get the desired listening level.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-21-2014 at 11:27 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
What are the current settings of the internal channel trims?
I'm not sure what you're asking about. Can you please be more specific? Input trim is left untouched at 0.0dB. If you mean the speaker levels set from YPAO it was +0Left +0.5Center +1.0Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
You can just turn the subwoofer power off at night.

Why would you care if there is noise when you pause the source?

The voltage output levels of the sources do vary a lot in some cases.

That is why you have a volume control, to get the desired listening level.
This post isn't at all helpful. I don't actually have a sub and I didn't post about how annoyed I was, I posted asking questions about if it was normal.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
1. When I pause my receiver and turn the volume up I get an audible hissing when the volume reaches around -8 and gets louder as I continue down to 0 (I haven't tried to keep going louder). Is this normal?
Unfortunately, this is very common but usually won't affect the intelligibility of normal programming, this noise although not desirable will be masked by the program.

Quote:
2. Audio is very quiet when watching movies from a blu-ray disc or streaming from Netflix through a Firetv. Especially the dialogue. I often need to turn the receiver all the way to -15 or -10 and at those levels it still isn't very loud.
This is a VERY common complaint about the mixing of movie soundtracks - the mixing assumes that the center channel has a very capable center channel speaker (often not the case at home) and that the soundtrack is being played back at "reference" levels - often too loud for home playback.

There a couple of possible solutions - try turning up the channel trim in the speaker configuration menu for the center channel. The other is to use the dynamic range control of your AVR - this makes quiet sounds louder - look for "Automatic DRC" (Dynamic Range Control) in your manual:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=58868

Another real solution is a better center channel speaker - made a HUGE difference in dialog intelligibility in my system

Quote:
3. I live above someone and while I haven't received any complaints yet, I would like to be respectful to them and cut out the lower frequencies when it's late. I have found that telling the receiver that I have a sub allows me to set the front speakers to small which allows me to set the crossover to a higher level to accomplish this goal. Is it safe to run the amplifier like this?
Of course it is safe, but again the DRC would help with this.
xcuses likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Unfortunately, this is very common but usually won't affect the intelligibility of normal programming, this noise although not desirable will be masked by the program.

This is a VERY common complaint about the mixing of movie soundtracks - the mixing assumes that the center channel has a very capable center channel speaker (often not the case at home) and that the soundtrack is being played back at "reference" levels - often too loud for home playback.

There a couple of possible solutions - try turning up the channel trim in the speaker configuration menu for the center channel. The other is to use the dynamic range control of your AVR - this makes quiet sounds louder - look for "Automatic DRC" (Dynamic Range Control) in your manual:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=58868

Another real solution is a better center channel speaker - made a HUGE difference in dialog intelligibility in my system

Of course it is safe, but again the DRC would help with this.
Thank you very much for those answers.

I will play around with the DRC but after watching more movies it's like you said, it seems like it's the movies and not the speakers causing the low dialogue and speaker blowing sound effects. The movie I watched the other night actually caused my ears to hurt after quiet dialogue was followed with the extremely loud sound of a camera snapping a picture. Some movies seem much better than others and if I watch a TV show through the same FireTV being played through the same Netflix app the problem isn't really there anymore. Even shows with action sequences are fine.

The audio guys involved with movies are trying to increase the movie watching experience by making things like a camera shot or a slowly opening door sound like a bomb going off but in my opinion it's having the opposite effect. Instead I feel like they're trying to mask poor acting and storyline with loud explosions and sound effects that should never be loud and it ultimately pisses me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page