post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help! 9.2 placement and speaker selection

Hi Alcon,

Setting up my home theatre:

Decided on an Onkyo 929, now I need to decide on speakers, herein lies the problem. My room is 13x20 but the 13 is defined by a HVAC drop going across room defining the size of 13, but the room is actually 4 feet wider for about 8 Ft (hallway) and about 12 ft of it is prob 10 ft wider because of bar area. The rear of room has the stairs coming down into room so placing speakers in wall or even towers here because of wiring a pain.

I want to go with an in ceiling speaker system but not sure of pros and cons of this. Center and two sub can be placed on floor

What speakers to buy? To compliment the 929. Without buying speakers begging for more power nor cant handle full volume. This will sometimes be used for music but 99.999% will be for movies and kids gaming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (166.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Ferriol1234; 06-29-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Pic of room so you can see HVAC drop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (173.3 KB, 12 views)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Pic shows how area opens up for bar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (198.2 KB, 12 views)
post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Still need help, no one out there can offer any advice?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 197
(your pictures are upside down.)
Ferriol1234 likes this.

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ > digits > miniDSP > behringer > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 PM

Liked: 10
I have a 9.1 system using a Marantz SR7007. The speakers are purely a matter of taste, however I would strongly urge you to avoid in-ceiling speakers. My limited experience with in-ceiling has indicated a vast drop off in performance versus well placed bookshelf/wall hanging speakers. However, with the upcoming availability of formats like Dolby Atmos, some in ceiling speakers may be desired, but not in place of side and rear surround speakers.

I use the FRONT WIDE channel settings and this has dramatically improved overall immersion in movies and games.

Most importantly, I think you would really really enjoy a butt kicker. Just one driver under a couch can really deliver a unique experience.

As far as speaker layout. As a clock, my center is at 12, FR/FL at 11 and 1; Front WIDEs at 10 and 2; surround sides at 8 and 4; rears are at 7 and 5. My sub 15 in. sub is in the corner. **** Please note**** I am a bass junky and for years tried to effectively implement 2 to 3 subs into my system. DO NOT DO THIS. It is way more trouble than it's worth. Just get a butt kicker to supplement your sub.

In anticipation of your question: I have used BOTH floor standing as well as bookshelf speakers for the front wide channels. In my opinion there is not much difference between using floor standing versus bookshelves; the immersive effect is achieved very well by both type of speaker.

I have never tried height speakers. I hope this helps. Let me know.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groBschizer View Post
I have a 9.1 system using a Marantz SR7007. The speakers are purely a matter of taste, however I would strongly urge you to avoid in-ceiling speakers. My limited experience with in-ceiling has indicated a vast drop off in performance versus well placed bookshelf/wall hanging speakers. However, with the upcoming availability of formats like Dolby Atmos, some in ceiling speakers may be desired, but not in place of side and rear surround speakers.

I use the FRONT WIDE channel settings and this has dramatically improved overall immersion in movies and games.

Most importantly, I think you would really really enjoy a butt kicker. Just one driver under a couch can really deliver a unique experience.

As far as speaker layout. As a clock, my center is at 12, FR/FL at 11 and 1; Front WIDEs at 10 and 2; surround sides at 8 and 4; rears are at 7 and 5. My sub 15 in. sub is in the corner. **** Please note**** I am a bass junky and for years tried to effectively implement 2 to 3 subs into my system. DO NOT DO THIS. It is way more trouble than it's worth. Just get a butt kicker to supplement your sub.

In anticipation of your question: I have used BOTH floor standing as well as bookshelf speakers for the front wide channels. In my opinion there is not much difference between using floor standing versus bookshelves; the immersive effect is achieved very well by both type of speaker.

I have never tried height speakers. I hope this helps. Let me know.
Thx for the reply, think u have changed my mind on ceiling speakers. Now to decide on break the break ones or decent cheaper ones. Would appreciate some advice on brand though if u have time. To describe my taste hmmm easiest way which I'm sure everyone has had atleast one is a sony car stereo/ speakers, at most i will turn the bass up a couple but the factory settings are fine. Any other brand i have to mess with equalizer to get near what I want.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferriol1234 View Post
Thx for the reply, think u have changed my mind on ceiling speakers. Now to decide on break the break ones or decent cheaper ones. Would appreciate some advice on brand though if u have time. To describe my taste hmmm easiest way which I'm sure everyone has had atleast one is a sony car stereo/ speakers, at most i will turn the bass up a couple but the factory settings are fine. Any other brand i have to mess with equalizer to get near what I want.
Currently I am using Paradigm Studio 100s in the front with the CC690 center channel. They are expensive. You really do not need to break the bank on speakers, however, in my opinion, your speakers should be consistent with the rest of your setup. I love my Paradigm speakers. If you're looking for a recommendation I would recommend Paradigm in a heartbeat. Other brands that I have listened to and have really liked are speakers made by JBL and Polk audio.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page