Window Plug / Bass Absorption Combo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Window Plug / Bass Absorption Combo

We recently bought new furniture which required us to move my living room / theater around. With the new setup, there is a large window directly behind the LP. I need to build a plug to block as much sound as possible, but also need bass absorption due to my couch being close to the wall.

For the window plug, I was planning to use three layers of 1/2 drywall with green glue between each. For bass absorption, I thought about adding 6" of pink fluffy insulation.

Do you think my plan will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned View Post
We recently bought new furniture which required us to move my living room / theater around. With the new setup, there is a large window directly behind the LP. I need to build a plug to block as much sound as possible, but also need bass absorption due to my couch being close to the wall.

For the window plug, I was planning to use three layers of 1/2 drywall with green glue between each. For bass absorption, I thought about adding 6" of pink fluffy insulation.

Do you think my plan will work?
I would suggest that you use two layers of drywall with 3" of fiberglass in between; a sandwich.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
I would suggest that you use two layers of drywall with 3" of fiberglass in between; a sandwich.
For sound proofing or bass absorption? I would think that green glue is much better at blocking ULF than 3" of fiberglass.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would go with mass, and green glue. Dont bother about bass absorption since 3 inches of fiberglass will do absolutely nothing to absorb bass.

Stef
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I would go with mass, and green glue. Dont bother about bass absorption since 3 inches of fiberglass will do absolutely nothing to absorb bass.
As many layers of drywall as you can with Green Glue between each one. Fiberglass is worthless for converting acoustic energy to heat.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 754
I already told him that weeks ago in the other thread he opened up in the other forum section. Hopefully he listened to the advice and it was successful.
I recommended 3 inches of solid MDF and green glue (1" sheets), if that doesn't stop the bass... then that is where you give up, as nothing will stop bass short of 30ft of solid gold burried inside the base of the pyramids of giza with all the shafts and openings sealed with cement. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page