1Likes
  • 1 Post By SlartibartfastX

post #1 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Save my marriage : too much bass upstairs

Lots of threads on here if I had been able to do this pre-construction, but the room is already setup. Need to know if and how I can reduce bass from traveling upstairs.

Theater is in the basement, 2 floors below our master bedroom. My wife, who is quite lovely, hates the bass at night if she's sleeping. It's not terrible (imo) but it is noticeable.

What can I bring to the preexisting room to reduce the bass from getting up there?

I should add, the ceiling is low, 7'8"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The answer is obvious. Be a gentleman and turn the bass down when your wife is sleeping. Does she vacuum the house when you are sleeping, probably not. I wouldn't even usually try to watch a movie without my wife, if I had a wife. You may have a good reason to be on a different sleep schedule then her, but use her sleep time for doing quiet stuff like the internet and hobbies. Watch the movies together when you are both awake.
xFreshEntrailsX likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't considered that, great idea.

I obviously do turn it down, which is why I have a wife, I'm looking for an option to both have a happy wife and enjoy a movie when she's sleeping.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Not a whole lot you can do, but be sure first of all that you are seated in the spot with the highest in-room bass response. If not, experiment by moving your sub (assuming you have one), speakers and/or seating around the room to find the optimal location for bass, within your practical limitations (furniture layout restrictions). With a better positioned sub, speakers and/or seating area to optimize bass quality, this then might allow you to turn down the sub volume while still getting the same or better bass response as you had before.

Another option is to look into a buttkicker type speaker, which would provide a tactile bass response and not create residual bass that spreads to the upstairs. Use one to supplement your subwoofer, and here again, this combination might allow you to lower sub volume but still have a decent bass experience with the summed total of the two different types of bass devices.

This is an extremely simplified version of what could be a very in-depth approach, which could include using a mic & room measuring software to analyze your room, reading up on room modes, the way bass "collects" or "lumps" within specific areas of a room, etc. There's tons of previous discussion about all of these things on these forums. But if you don't have the time for reading up or going more sophisticated with mic & software and just want to wing it, you might still be able to improve your situation at least somewhat by doing the subwoofer, speaker and seating experimentation.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 07-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Not much you can really do without getting your hands dirty and tearing some stuff apart.

I've had to deal with neighbors/room mates in many situations with my system and really if you don't have a room designed for this, you're going to have to turn it down.

I'd invest in some premium headphones to use at night that's what I do. I use my system and headphones at night. It sucks, but without a treated room you can't do much.

You can't magically keep bass from leaking without fixing the room first. Cruel Inventions gave some ideas so you can FEEL like there is bass though.

I'd save your money on buying anything and just save up to redo the room so that the bass doesn't travel. Probably want to head over to the dedicated room sections and get some tips on how to easily fix your room up.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Get a new receiver or pre/pro with Audyssey Low Frequency Containment?

http://audyssey.com/technologies/lfc
post #7 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Very interesting idea with the buttkicker. That could solve the problem, especially since it looks like they have a wireless kick and I think it'd just be cool regardless if I needed to turn down the bass.

Would I need one for every seat?
post #8 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

bweissman, my receiver (Pioneer Elite) does have Audyssey but the challenge is sound traveling up, 2 floors into the master bedroom.

I am going to try some different positioning. Right now the walls it is against are cement, but maybe the other side would work better. Kinda wish I had bought the wireless bass now for more options.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
Very interesting idea with the buttkicker. That could solve the problem, especially since it looks like they have a wireless kick and I think it'd just be cool regardless if I needed to turn down the bass.

Would I need one for every seat?
No, just yours.
I have one on my seat in a sectional and the adjacent seats feel some of it just fine.
ButtKicker Advance
It is cool.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #10 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Lots of threads on here if I had been able to do this pre-construction, but the room is already setup. Need to know if and how I can reduce bass from traveling upstairs.

Theater is in the basement, 2 floors below our master bedroom. My wife, who is quite lovely, hates the bass at night if she's sleeping. It's not terrible (imo) but it is noticeable.

What can I bring to the preexisting room to reduce the bass from getting up there?

Simple: get yourself a headset. There are a number of solutions available in wired, wireless, stereo and surround.

I like the playstation stereo headset paired to my PS3. It's comfortable, wireless, has decent sound and-- despite the name-- actually plays in a 'mock' 7.1 surround that works exceptionally well.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have the same issue but the wife likes it, its the neighbors that dont care for it :-).

Mr.Zoom
post #12 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
bweissman, my receiver (Pioneer Elite) does have Audyssey but the challenge is sound traveling up, 2 floors into the master bedroom.
Audyssey LFC is a relatively new feature. Just having Audyssey doesn't imply you have LFC. You'd need to look through the receiver's setup.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Can I presume you have a thick, solid core door isolating the basement? Same for the MBR? Perhaps some tight seals on the basement door?
May help a little. Need to experiment.
Does your wife go on overnight trips without you? That is a good time to watch bass heavy movies.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just ordered the wireless buttkicker for $340.

The doors are not solid core, I'll look into that though would that make a difference since the sound issue is up (2 stories) and not on the same floor?
post #15 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Just ordered the wireless buttkicker for $340.

The doors are not solid core, I'll look into that though would that make a difference since the sound issue is up (2 stories) and not on the same floor?
Not sure how much difference it would make. But, not being solid, the door acts as a drum and the outside veneer radiates the lows very well.
If you do try a solid door, may consider 1 3/4"(yes, it is heavy) and seal the fit all around so no leak gets by it. Consider weather sealing it on all 4 edges. I would also try something similar on the Mbr door.

I would think 2 stories up it is less structural transmission but could be wrong.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Headphones.

Buttkicker.

Done.

(You needed AVS for this?)

Do NOT rebuild your house. Won't work. Bass overpowers everything.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Not sure how much difference it would make. But, not being solid, the door acts as a drum and the outside veneer radiates the lows very well.
If you do try a solid door, may consider 1 3/4"(yes, it is heavy) and seal the fit all around so no leak gets by it. Consider weather sealing it on all 4 edges. I would also try something similar on the Mbr door.

I would think 2 stories up it is less structural transmission but could be wrong.
Geddes talks about this at length:
http://gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Books/HomeTheater.aspx
He recommends using an OUTSIDE door for better sound insulation. You will also need to isolate the ductwork if you have an HVAC system.

(What a polite group. I guess I have to be the one to say: "Gee, your wife doesn't have any trouble sleeping here." )

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #18 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of you that were helpful. I'll let y'all know how the Buttkicker works, looks like it's backordered for at least a month.

The rest, get away from the screen and out of the house. Might do you some good.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
One thing you can do (that I did in my NYC apt) is add tactile transducers to your couch/chair. You can significantly turn down the bass but you will still feel it.
When Im sitting on my couch the bass sounds big and full and as soon as I get off the couch I hear very little.
It can be done very cheap.
(what I used on my couch)
You'll need -
2* - Aura Bass Shaker
1* - Dayton 150 amp

get some 10" shelves from HD/lowes to use as bracing underneath your couch. You can use some metal brackets to attach the shelf to the underside. Make sure they are 3/4"
Mount the aura's top facing the floor.
wire them to the Dayton like you would a regular speaker.
Hook the dayton to your receiver's sub out put. (if you have a sub already you can use a spliter/y)
-Ill note now that the dayton is a great choice because it has a low pass filter so you can tune how much you will feel. from only feeling exploisions to feeling it even when someone with a deep voice talks. and obviously volume control as well.

that's it you're done.
My neighbors never hear anything. and all for about $250 bucks.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalu View Post
One thing you can do (that I did in my NYC apt) is add tactile transducers to your couch/chair. You can significantly turn down the bass but you will still feel it.
When Im sitting on my couch the bass sounds big and full and as soon as I get off the couch I hear very little.
It can be done very cheap.
(what I used on my couch)
You'll need -
2* - Aura Bass Shaker
1* - Dayton 150 amp

get some 10" shelves from HD/lowes to use as bracing underneath your couch. You can use some metal brackets to attach the shelf to the underside. Make sure they are 3/4"
Mount the aura's top facing the floor.
wire them to the Dayton like you would a regular speaker.
Hook the dayton to your receiver's sub out put. (if you have a sub already you can use a spliter/y)
-Ill note now that the dayton is a great choice because it has a low pass filter so you can tune how much you will feel. from only feeling exploisions to feeling it even when someone with a deep voice talks. and obviously volume control as well.

that's it you're done.
My neighbors never hear anything. and all for about $250 bucks.
Ok, sounds like an alternative to the Buttkickers. I'd just have to figure out wiring since my receiver is in a closet outside of my theater and we didn't wire anything in the back for sub.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I looked into the buttkickers as well. they were just to big and bulky.
The miss veto'd anything that didn't go with the decor. (a fight not worth having if you can avoid - lol)
as for wiring your best easiest bet sound like running speaker wire back there.
I just ran a single rca around the room and left the Dayton 150 behind the couch.
Seriously even if noise weren't an issue a transducer will change your home theater experience.
I can't/won't do without them now.

Watching U-571 while the depth charges are going off is incredible.
Watching Jurassic Park when you first see the T-rex and the footsteps get louder and louder adds to the level of realism.

I got my idea from an article I read a while ago called Jurassic couch.
I can't find it but it was in relation to a build someone did using Clark Synthesis transducers. (way more expensive- military uses them in tank sims)
The arua's are great because they are cheap, accurate and don't require much power. $99 bucks a pair. and they are shallow and will fit under anything.
The Dayton 150 is about $175 new but I got my refurbished from parts express for 75 bucks.

It very much worth the extra trouble of wiring.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-06-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Thanks for all of you that were helpful. I'll let y'all know how the Buttkicker works, looks like it's backordered for at least a month.

The rest, get away from the screen and out of the house. Might do you some good.
Good luck vibrating your butt!
post #23 of 30 Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:

I am going to try some different positioning. Right now the walls it is against are cement, but maybe the other side would work better. Kinda wish I had bought the wireless bass now for more options.
FWIW your Pioneer doesn't have Audyssey, it has a proprietary system called MCACC. You can buy various subwoofer wireless kits to add to your system, like one of these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+wireless+kit

post #24 of 30 Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hm. One way is to tell your wife to get some ear plugs. Works really well for unwanted noise in general. Get the wax ones from riteaid. Those work the best.

Another way is to turn the sub down, but who the **** wants to do that in middle of a good bass scene..

Third way is to sleep together at the same time. Enjoy the movie together and sleep at the same time.

Fourth way is to get the basskicker blah... bs imho.

I think the first option is the best way.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Last but not least is to tell your wife that she is just a woman so she should learn to just deal with it. Thats what i would do.. hopefully,, in future.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Read all of this, it goes into a good amount of detail, certainly enough to get started.

http://www.greengluecompany.com/bene...flanking-noise
http://www.greengluecompany.com/benefit/how-to-use-it
http://www.greengluecompany.com/bene...t/impact-noise

Almost nothing will stop bass, because it transmits very well via flanking, bass contains a LOT of energy.

It will travel through beams, through the ground, through a rooftop, it travels through almost anything. Lots and lots of mass (like cement) on all 6 sides 8inches thick with zero gaps or holes is the only way to stop it.

The quietest room in the world is like 60ft underground, with a room made out of 6 feet of solid cement on all 6 sides, and in side that room, is another room made out of cement that floats on springs, and then inside that room, it is coated on all 6 sides with 4 foot wedge absorbers.

It will not be cheap, expect $6-20k to only PARTIALLY solve the bass problem.
Building an underground theater building in your backyard is the best solution, above ground is the next bass, an adjoining structure is the next best, a structure under your driveway is the next best, and the worst: is a room inside your house made of normal-build construction techniques.

I went with an above-ground backyard structure solution, it has 90db of noise rejection above 200hz @ 1ft, and at a combined distance of 75ft of air and/or dirt with an additional 12" thick wall of soundproofed wood & drywall I get about 40db of bass reduction, if not slightly less.

I had to, when my system was in the basement of my main house I was breaking dishes upstairs, and nobody could hear the living room TV (which was powered with a 600watt 5.1 speaker system).
My system is one of the loudest systems on AVS. With OVER 35,000watts and OVER 22 SI-18inch subwoofer-equivalences of bass, for starters...
A bassheads gotta do what a bassheads gotta do!

So, 8inches of solid cement on all 6 sides (yes including the ceiling) with no physical attachments to the main-house is the MINIMUM to get good bass reduction, depending on exactly how much of a basshead you are.

Physics, sucks...

Last edited by BassThatHz; 07-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Underground HT sounds nice and all,but what happens when there is an earthquake?
post #28 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post
Underground HT sounds nice and all,but what happens when there is an earthquake?
If you have the volume up sufficiently with the right soundtrack you may not notice at all. Not a bad place to be in case of an earthquake....all the quakes I've experienced I was in much flimsier structures....

post #29 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 331
The largest quakes I've felt since birth could barely shake my bed sheets (I was sleeping both times) 0.1 to 4.0
Since I was born no 7.8+ quakes have occurred in my area, been lucky thus far... never felt a 5+er

The last big one here was 300 years ago and killed people all the way to Japan, the next is due in 100-300years.
If a 8.0-10.0 hit these days, ~1 million (or perhaps more) people would likely die.
Depending on your exact location and the objects in your immediate surroundings at the event time, Your Mileage May Vary...
The last place you want to be in is a sword shop in Japan when a 9.0 hits
post #30 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

In northern California, where I last lived before moving up to SW Oregon, been through a couple good sized quakes including the Loma Prieta quake in 89 and before that a few good sized ones in soCal too. Several over 5 but don't remember the numbers...lotsa fun and I think I would "prefer" an earthquake over tornadoes or hurricanes.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
accoustic , bass , loud

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page