Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do I improve music listening?

Hi,

We have a Denon AVR-789, paired with Energy Take Classics, and relied on BatPig's tutorial to help set everything up. We used to have the Energy speakers set up for 5.1 in the old home, but just moved to a new house and currently have it as 3.1 without the surrounds.

I have tried to position the speakers above the TV and also below to see which sounded best. It sounds fine while on the couch, but if listening to music and standing in the kitchen it feels like I'm "out of the sound zone". I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this effect since the speakers are pointed towards the couch.

Our home has an open floor plan where the living room opens into the dining area and kitchen. I've attached some photos of the model home. It is approximately 20 feet from the TV to the couch and also 25 feet from the kitchen to the center of the TV.

Is it possible to place speakers so that movies sound good, as well as be able to fill the entire space (kitchen/dining/living) when listening to music? Am I asking too much from the Take Classics? Thank you for any advice you guys can share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3053.jpg (209.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3055.jpg (175.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3061.jpg (170.2 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqAddq View Post
Hi,

We have a Denon AVR-789, paired with Energy Take Classics, and relied on BatPig's tutorial to help set everything up. We used to have the Energy speakers set up for 5.1 in the old home, but just moved to a new house and currently have it as 3.1 without the surrounds.

I have tried to position the speakers above the TV and also below to see which sounded best. It sounds fine while on the couch, but if listening to music and standing in the kitchen it feels like I'm "out of the sound zone". I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this effect since the speakers are pointed towards the couch.

Our home has an open floor plan where the living room opens into the dining area and kitchen. I've attached some photos of the model home. It is approximately 20 feet from the TV to the couch and also 25 feet from the kitchen to the center of the TV.

Is it possible to place speakers so that movies sound good, as well as be able to fill the entire space (kitchen/dining/living) when listening to music? Am I asking too much from the Take Classics? Thank you for any advice you guys can share.

When you get out of the tweeters' field, you lose the treble because it is quite directional. The best solution would be to put a couple speakers in the Kitchen and run them from a second zone.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
When you get out of the tweeters' field, you lose the treble because it is quite directional. The best solution would be to put a couple speakers in the Kitchen and run them from a second zone.
Thanks for the help, FMW. I don't have any experience using a second zone. Let me see if I understand you correctly. Since I have two unused Take Classic speakers, you're saying I potentially could position the spare two speakers in the kitchen (maybe above the cabinets, near the ceiling), and assign them to zone 2 on the Denon?

So with what you're suggesting, movies would be 3.1 and music would use all "5.1" speakers arranged as zone 1 and zone 2? Makes sense and now I know what to do. Thanks again for the great idea!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2014, 03:40 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 639
That assumes the Denon has second zone capabilities. The result would be surround in the TV watching room and stereo in the kitchen.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
That assumes the Denon has second zone capabilities. The result would be surround in the TV watching room and stereo in the kitchen.
Hmm, I'm confused now. Our Denon does support second zone. The part about "stereo in the kitchen", does that mean music will flow from both zone 1 and zone 2 speakers, simultaneously? I thought that was the point, to drive music with "two sets" of stereo speakers to better fill the open space. Or is zone 1 and zone 2 mutually exclusive?

As for the "surround in the TV watching room", I'm a little confused by that statement, FMW. I didn't expect to have surround for movies/TV since I only have 3.1 setup and facing the couch. If I place two speakers in the kitchen for zone 2 music listening, are you saying those say speakers will provide "surround" effect during movies/TV? I imagine the would be a little strange since the zone 2 speakers would both be in the kitchen and left of the viewing area (there's no surround speaker to the right of the viewing area). Did I misunderstand something?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page