Are my surrounds too high? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Are my surrounds too high?

Hello all, thought I'd start a new thread rather than have it buried in my build thread.

I am mid-build of a dedicated, soundproofed, and acoustically treated home theater. I'm at the stage now where I'm about to hang drywall and need to figure out exact speaker placement for prewiring.

Originally, the room design required that I use higher than normal angled surrounds due to width of room and where the aisles would be (didn't want people to hit their heads). I decided on 4 Volt 10's in angled enclosures, which I have already built. After I did demo, I found a large area in the room that the builder had hid (to keep the room rectangular). I ended up flipping my theater to take advantage of the wider portion of the room.

So now this is what it looks like with the speakers planned location:

The 4 black boxes are Volt-10 in angled down enclosures.

Are they too high for side/rear surrounds?

Since I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to wire for Atmos (I would want to do 4 ceiling speakers), I wonder if there is enough height difference between the Atmos in ceiling speakers and these speakers to make a difference?

Any suggestions? I was thinking about dropping them a bit lower like this:

Think this will make a noticeable difference? And think the angled boxes will have an issue being this low down?

THanks for any response!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

No one has an opinion on this? .

post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
No one has an opinion on this? .
My LCRs are soffit-mounted.

If I had any surrounds, they would probably be mounted that way, as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.JPG (92.9 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by arnyk; 07-09-2014 at 04:51 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Are the speakers appropriately angled? Where are they pointed? Extreme off axis will change FR quite a bit if thats important to you for surrounds.

IMO height has not changed my perception of surround performance assuming listening axis angle, peripheral angle, and room interaction not an issue.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
Are the speakers appropriately angled? Where are they pointed? Extreme off axis will change FR quite a bit if thats important to you for surrounds.

IMO height has not changed my perception of surround performance assuming listening axis angle, peripheral angle, and room interaction not an issue.
They are generally located in the recommended locations for surrounds. It is a diy design by DIYSoundgroup.com, they know more of the science of speakers than I. I assume that they are selling them as angled surrounds, so they know they are appropriately angled so as not to affect FR,

However, if I simply draw a line from the center of the speaker out, it looks like when they are mounted high, the lines pass above ear height at the main listening position.

Should I adjust them lower so they point directly at the front row ear height? (More like the second picture in my post)

post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't asking about the design of the speaker, I was asking if you were able to aim the speaker appropriately for surround duty or if the extreme height caused them to point way high over the listening position.

I have a V10 kit in the garage but I havent built yet too so I know about DIYSG.

Personally I like to aim the surrounds at or just behind the farthest listener from it with it mounted on the wall 1-2' behind the listeners. This helps keep spl pretty uniform across listening positions. It sounds like your plan would work fine to me.

Last edited by NicksHitachi; 07-09-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Got it. So it sounds like dropping them down a bit so they angle toward the listening position would be a good choice. Thanks for the response.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Play with this link:

http://auditoryneuroscience.com/topi...ensity-trading

It demonstrates how image localization is performed by our ears. Two things matter: SPL and Delay.

Higher SPL in a direction can cause you to localize the sound in that direction.

Time arrival to each ear also is used by our brain to localize sound image direction of origin. The delay between ears is processed and the signal origin correlates in the direction of shortest delay.

There is nothing we can do to make delay uniform across seating positions since distance can only be equal for one listener. However, to make spl as uniform as possible across seating the most direct sound(highest spl) should be pointed at the farthest seat IMO. The off axis seat(near seat to surround) sees less spl due to being off axis and the farthest seat sees less spl due to being more distant so hopefully they have as uniform spl as possible.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Agreed. The picture of my audio system doesn't show how the speakers are angled down at the listener's ears very well.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page