Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Home Theater system/setup

How's it going fellas

My 1st time getting a home theater system. Was hearing something completely different from everyone I talked to yet the one constant was hearing this is a great site with great information. Would really appreciate any advice.
Wanting a quality lower end setup. 5.1 channel under 2k. Just got Yamaha receiver & Pioneer Andrew Jones towers & center channel. They sound good for the price yet wanting better. What towers would you recommend near 5-700? Receiver around 600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFord View Post
How's it going fellas
It goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFord
My 1st time getting a home theater system.
What did you have before?

Quote:
Was hearing something completely different from everyone I talked to yet the one constant was hearing this is a great site with great information. Would really appreciate any advice.
You'll get different opinions here, too.

Quote:
Wanting a quality lower end setup. 5.1 channel under 2k.
Ok.

Quote:
Just got Yamaha receiver & Pioneer Andrew Jones towers & center channel.
Do you mean you have only that set (and have had it for a while) or it is recently acquired?

Quote:
They sound good for the price yet wanting better.
What is not good enough now? What would "better" represent?

Quote:
What towers would you recommend near 5-700? Receiver around 600?
No recommendations. Don't understand your problem yet.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Wanting a quality lower end setup. 5.1 channel under 2k. Just got Yamaha receiver & Pioneer Andrew Jones towers & center channel. They sound good for the price yet wanting better. What towers would you recommend near 5-700? Receiver around 600?
First, even though Yamaha isn't my favorite AVR brand, there is probably nothing wrong with your brand new AVR. What model is it? Currently, the AVR getting the most recommendations is last year's Denon X series currently selling at large discounts:

Denon AVR-X2000 7.1 Network AV Receiver - $399
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X200.../dp/B00CALM2KS

Tower speakers in the $500 - $700 range (I assume for a pair) are still going to be from the value brands like Polk, Infinity, etc. I really like the Polk RTi series but the RTi A5 are just beyond your budget at $800. The Polk Monitor Series is hard to beat with more impact (but a little less detail / finesse than the RTi) - this is a lot of speaker for the money - all 3 front speakers for under $800:

Polk Audio Monitor Series 75T Four-Way Ported Floorstanding Loudspeaker - (3) 6.5" woofers - $500 / pair - these often go on sale for prices even lower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290272

Polk Audio TSX250C BLACK 3-Way High Performance Center Channel Speaker - (2) 6.5" woofers - $299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290298

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
It goes well.

Ok.

Do you mean you have only that set (and have had it for a while) or it is recently acquired?

No recommendations. Don't understand your problem yet.
Warning: Novel. Plane got delayed, my bad fellas

[QUOTE=RayDunzl;25597561]It goes well.

First off, thanks for responding. Imagined you guys see a large number of members who probably have no intention other than wasting your time & trolling. Truly appreciate a few moments of you guys time

Nothing. When I lived in an apartment I didn't want to be 'that guy' who you could hear across the complex at all hours. You know the one.
Purchased a Samsung 8000 series & with the amazing quality video that mixed with speakers that appear to be even weaker to fit into the smaller bezel & slimmer TV for the 2014 models that an audio upgrade seemed like a given & a must.
Have been into higher end car audio for years, but nathan on home audio. Aside from a few, seems like I've never heard of the majority of brands. Majority of them made in Europe?

Figured as much, yet thought if I was able to really tap into some of you guys immense experience on HT audio, possibly shoot the stuff, on a subject or two outside this arena (if allowed). Gaining invaluable knowledge while showing the respect those who are my elder deserve. Optimistic, hoping they may let me in on the more important aspects & variables that I most do not know or simply don't share as if a perpetuity has come because so. Knowledge from experience, specifics, areas of emphasis, those which are over-emphasized that will lead to common denominators starting to emerge. Deduce, re-evaluate factors & importance of each assigning weighted values identifiers unique to me & random unforeseen variables then take step back. Hit the town & hopefully some strange. Reflect, regain perspective then if all goes well, show some respect to those who did same for me by sending a few 20's via Paypal, to those who may of really helped me out.

Ok.

Recently acquired, less than 5 days. Under the elite status I believe I have 45 days to return anything. Hoping to avoid that amount of time, yet need to obtain a lot while filtering even more.
Was hearing too much noise as if a commission was now involved friends/colleagues turned salesmen & just said the hell with it and bought 3 channels and a AV

Better would be the ability to reach higher volume without putting such a strain on the speakers. To stop being 'that guy' just so self conscience & overcompensating with the bass on everything. Smoother, clearer, more natural highs, mids, & lows that can hit the full spectrum from every note on an elaborate symphony, to an incredible, lifelike, surround sound experience on a 3D movie, to the low clean tight bass on some Big, Pac, or Weezy that flows effortlessly from the driver under no strain, chuff, or any other effect that should be associated within price range.
It's like when you see a truly beautiful women (the rarest or rare whom are equally beautiful with no makeup, thrown in a European accent with a level of class royalty wishes it could rival, & a freak in the sheets. Doing things that don't even have names for yet while she says "f me" in broken English that is the sexiest thing that.......which..... Deep breath..... Sigh..... Smile.....Damn, that's an experience that just can't be described, so let's go with a rare beauty Nina Agdal, Kate Bock vs an average one that just lays there in bed, won't ride it, nothing. Leg just starts twitching out of control as she peaks, that's all she got.

With certain things you just know. No words or debate on any level are needed, used, nor considered and attempts at anything else are futile for even the biggest haters.

As with a few other areas looking at some areas with a longer term. Want a setup that's going to last me a good 5 years at minimum.

Other poster, the Yamaha RX 373. It like the Pioneer is a very good value, though not near enough amplification & having 4k up-scaling is a must now as well as Wifi. Knew I'd want a better AV but just wanted to acquire & hear a setup in my house, gain perspective & build on it.

After more thought today feel 1-1500 more adequate on the towers. Then 3-500 on center. Am I wrong to think those are the 2 channels which should have most monetarily?
Is it truly crucial to use the same brand & series on all channels? Know it's preferred w/same drivers but for example if I was going to keep the Pioneer setup there was no chance I was going with matching sub in the line based on my analysis of it.

Final thing, what do you guys think of Dolby Atmos? Very intrigued at what a good movie or song would sound like in it. Coming from all angles yet raining down from above as well. Any of you know when they will start selling the equipped speakers? Can't find a date, simply "later this year". Due to the very good sound of the budget Pioneer's I'd have to say simply on a glance the Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 w/Dolby Atmos are near the top of my list of towers to upgrade to. Appreciate any recommendations you may have. You guys have a good one

Apologies for the novel guys. Plane was delayed a few hours.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Well...

I'm a 2-channel listener. I have no experience with the home theater stuff, although I do run the TV through the stereo. I'm not part of the multi-channel arms race. I have an up-to-the-minute DAC, but my speakers are 1998 and the amplification is from about 2003. The music tends to run even older than that.

If you jumped into something you aren't comfortable with and can return it, that's an option. Especially if you feel you were pressured or misled.

All this glorious sound you imagine comes from the work that you put into "setup" once you have acquired an arsenal of equipment. Precision sound requires care and experimentation before you get the seamless illusion you seek.

Listen to mtn-tech, looks like he'll get you started off right.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
How's it going fellas

My 1st time getting a home theater system. Was hearing something completely different from everyone I talked to yet the one constant was hearing this is a great site with great information. Would really appreciate any advice.
I'd suggest something like the Marantz AV7701 & five identical active studio monitors (KRK ROKIT 5, Yamaha HS5, etc.). Without factoring in XLR cables, stands, subs, etc. you'd be looking at a $2500 initial investment. It's not too far off the mark, but yeah.. if you're looking for a quality upgrade, that extra thousand dollars may be worth it.

I've got a Pioneer/Onkyo setup at the moment & the above is what I've been looking into for a while now.

You can't really beat studio monitors for response & the Marantz processors have the best auto EQ available. You may want to look into off axis response concerning the monitors, but as long as you're theater isn't a gigantic auditorium, I can see no better option.

Last edited by morphemes; 07-10-2014 at 07:15 AM.