sticking speaker wire to baseboards? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sticking speaker wire to baseboards?

We just rearranged our living room, and for a number of different reasons, I'm planning to run the wires (Monoprice 14 AWG) along the baseboards around the periphery of the room.

Can anybody suggest a good, efficient way to discreetly stick the wires to the baseboards? I don't want to use nails, staples, screws or plastic guides, but I'm afraid double-sided tape isn't going to be strong enough to hold the wires firmly in place. I'd like to find some kind of little adhesive dot I could stick the wires to, kind of like the little felt pads used for the bottom of furniture only with adhesive on both sides. I also thought about a hot glue gun, but I'd don't have to have to buy one just for this project.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I have some double sided foam tape that is extremely sticky...

Maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mountin.../dp/B00004Z498

I'll be back later...

1.5RQ > digits > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
We just rearranged our living room, and for a number of different reasons, I'm planning to run the wires (Monoprice 14 AWG) along the baseboards around the periphery of the room.

Can anybody suggest a good, efficient way to discreetly stick the wires to the baseboards? I don't want to use nails, staples, screws or plastic guides, but I'm afraid double-sided tape isn't going to be strong enough to hold the wires firmly in place. I'd like to find some kind of little adhesive dot I could stick the wires to, kind of like the little felt pads used for the bottom of furniture only with adhesive on both sides. I also thought about a hot glue gun, but I'd don't have to have to buy one just for this project.

Any thoughts?
Scotch industrial strength double sided tape is pretty tenacious, and I think they still carry it at Staples. If you get it pressed onto the baseboards really tight, the paint might come off with it if you try to remove it later on. I give it a shot with a heat gun to maximize the adhesion.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch%C2%AE-D.../dp/B001O6NLXW

Thing is, you can get a cheap hot melt glue gun at craft store for about the same amount of money.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Have you considered pulling the carpet back an inch or so and running the wire under the actual baseboards? If your room is carpeted then most baseboards will be slightly elevated off the sub floor or concrete in order to allow the carpet to be poked under them. It's actually pretty easy to do this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there was such a thing as foam and industrial strength doubled-sided tape. If the clear tape is really as strong as it purports, that could be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, this is for a room with hardwood floors, so lifting the carpet isn't an option.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page