Livingroom HT advice needed - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Livingroom HT advice needed
linneh's Avatar linneh 04:56 PM 07-10-2014
Im posting to see if anyone have any advice/ideas to better my livingroom i terms of acoustic treatment or anything else for improvement.

I cant really move anything around in terms of swapping the tv and couch. As for the knick knacks and shelves etc that is my other halfs stuff so moving that isnt really an option aswell.

So the wife factor is a challenge for me and the space is oddly shaped to house a HT.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Also disregard the mess :P
Attached: 10531120_10152585038589042_870629134_n.jpg (57.9 KB)  10524765_10152585038529042_1688290827_n.jpg (56.0 KB)  10529717_10152585038459042_1901694505_n.jpg (60.3 KB)  10524865_10152585038429042_1687289003_n.jpg (59.1 KB) 

BassThatHz's Avatar BassThatHz 05:04 PM 07-10-2014
What is your gear list and what budget can you spend on improvements?

You don't like the sound, I assume?
linneh's Avatar linneh 06:03 PM 07-10-2014
I cant say that i dislike the sound,i just know theres more to get from my gear (based on the testing i did at the store and such) - yes i know i cant compare the store to my living room but the soundstage seemed much larger in the room at the store which was a dedicated one and about the same size.

Budget isnt really an issue, although i dont wanna spend thousands of dollars either:P

My setup is onkyo tx-nr3009 - b&w cm9,cmc2 and 2 dali ikon on the back (i forget the exact model but its on the lower end) and a b&w 610xp sub
RayDunzl's Avatar RayDunzl 02:46 AM 07-11-2014
That looks like a comfortable room. I like it.

"the soundstage seemed much larger in the room at the store"

Have you experimented much with speaker placement within the area they go now?
underminded999's Avatar underminded999 07:48 AM 07-11-2014
I really dig the room. The Daleks, 'VICTORY' pic is cool.

However, there are too many angles, and with the glass windows right behind you, I am sure there are tons of reflections bouncing around the room.

Before you go down the sound absorption rabbit hole. Identify exactly what you want to do....Too much bass, dialog not clear, etc...

With as many corners as there are, corner diffusers would add $ up quick. Also, those windows, with a great view, will cause all sorts of reflection/refraction issues.

Identify the problem, then look for a solution. However, if the sound worx from the MLP, then what are you looking for, specifically?
linneh's Avatar linneh 04:24 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
That looks like a comfortable room. I like it.

"the soundstage seemed much larger in the room at the store"

Have you experimented much with speaker placement within the area they go now?
Thank you It is. Ive tried placing them as much as i could, turned toward MLP and straight forward etc but it seems the sound is better as they are now,i think the bounce is too much being that the left speaker isnt very far from the wall
linneh's Avatar linneh 04:31 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post
I really dig the room. The Daleks, 'VICTORY' pic is cool.

However, there are too many angles, and with the glass windows right behind you, I am sure there are tons of reflections bouncing around the room.

Before you go down the sound absorption rabbit hole. Identify exactly what you want to do....Too much bass, dialog not clear, etc...

With as many corners as there are, corner diffusers would add $ up quick. Also, those windows, with a great view, will cause all sorts of reflection/refraction issues.

Identify the problem, then look for a solution. However, if the sound worx from the MLP, then what are you looking for, specifically?
Thanks. The dr who fan is my girlfriend actually

For the windows ive been talking to my gf about making some plates cut to size and add some padding and dress it in cloth, which hopefully will make a difference. I cant put my finger on exactly what it is im missing, it just seems there should be more "omph" and it seems my speakers arent giving me what they are capable of. Also my sub which is supposed to be quite the kicker for such a small box doesnt really give me anything when im supposed to be almost shaking where im sitting. If i turn it up it gets too boomy and distorted.

What would you guys do to improve those things and the overall quality of the sound in my room?
RayDunzl's Avatar RayDunzl 11:24 PM 07-11-2014
It's hard to tell from the photo - how far apart are the speakers - they seem wide for the distance to the sweet spot.

Have you tried narrower, temporarily, even if it is in front of the equipment rack?
linneh's Avatar linneh 03:34 PM 07-12-2014
Quote:
It's hard to tell from the photo - how far apart are the speakers - they seem wide for the distance to the sweet spot.

Have you tried narrower, temporarily, even if it is in front of the equipment rack?
Yes ive tried narrower. Ive added 2 new pictures for a better view from the mlp

As for the distance i forget the exact measurement (at work now) but the tv is a 65" so it could give you a sense of how far apart they are atleast

- As far as the distance from speaker to sitting position its about 3,3 meters, 11-12 feet perhaps
Attached: 2014-07-12 18.43.57.jpg (105.0 KB)  2014-07-12 18.43.49.jpg (138.1 KB) 
linneh's Avatar linneh 04:25 PM 07-13-2014
Bump
RayDunzl's Avatar RayDunzl 07:59 PM 07-13-2014
Are your speakers in phase?
linneh's Avatar linneh 08:20 PM 07-13-2014
Quote:
Are your speakers in phase?
Yes, ive calibrated to the best of my ability using both audyssey and manual with help from spears & munzil disc
RayDunzl's Avatar RayDunzl 03:50 AM 07-15-2014
Ok... So...

Room treatment. You have to figure out what is wrong, or just start guessing.

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

I've just started "treating" my room, so I don't have a lot of experience there. It doesn't have much problem to correct

I chose Roxul product - stone wool - instead of fiberglass products.

You can get 8 3.5" x 24" x 48" "Safe and Sound batts" for about $50-$60. Order through a Home Improvement store. You'd have to make them aesthetically acceptable on your own.

You can buy premade room treatment products, I consider them expensive, you may or may not.

--

Measurements:

You may need a measurement microphone ($50/$70) and REW software (free)

Then you have to figure out what your measurements are telling you.

More fun for the hobby...
Up
Mobile  Desktop