Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Left,Center,Right Speaker Distance

I recently read an article that your left and right speakers should be the same distance apart as your center is from the main listening position.

My center is 10 feet from the MLP in my 15 x 21 room. (7.2) I moved my left and right 5 feet from the middle of the center speaker, which is about 2 feet each further than they used to be. They now look like they are too far apart. (A laser level was nice for aiming the L & R at the MLP)

My question is "Is the best way to do this?" Or does it even matter? One person said to set the distance to all speakers the same as as your center is to the MLP. Kinda didn't make sense to me.

So, what are your thoughts on my new speaker placement?

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2014, 10:58 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 917
The rule of thumb is to set up an equilateral triangle with the speakers and your seating position at each corner. If you place speakers too far apart you get a hole in the middle of the stereo sound stage. If you place them too close you shrink the soundstage. The center channel goes above or below the TV screen as close to it as possible. I suggest you just do the best you can knowing that and be content with whatever sounds best.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
The rule of thumb is to set up an equilateral triangle with the speakers and your seating position at each corner. If you place speakers too far apart you get a hole in the middle of the stereo sound stage. If you place them too close you shrink the soundstage. The center channel goes above or below the TV screen as close to it as possible. I suggest you just do the best you can knowing that and be content with whatever sounds best.
That's good advice for a 2-channel or "stereo" system. However the OP is talking about a "Home Theater" system, with Left, Center an Right speakers. In that case, a 22 to 30 degree angle from the Primary Listening Position, (PLP), is the correct placement for Left and Right speakers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
One person said to set the distance to all speakers the same as as your center is to the MLP. Kinda didn't make sense to me.
The "distances" of the speakers are not critical as any decent HT receiver has the ability to set the distances appropriately. So the Center can be closer than the Left and Right, and the Surrounds can be pretty much any "practical" distance away, and the receiver can compensate by setting the Distance settings to the appropriate settings. (The Subwoofer is the exception here, as it needs to be set for the "acoustic" distance, which is often not the same as the "physical" distance.)

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.1 speakers.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	157521  

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 07-12-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Thanks for the replies. I am assuming the equilateral thing isn't important for a home theater. My receiver has no automatic distance settings so I have to use a tape measures.

Now about my two subs. One is in the right corner and the other on the left wall about 1/3 the distance from the front wall in my 15 x 21 room. How do you set the distance with a receiver that has only one distance setting for the subs?

My ears are open to all suggestions about the subs and all speakers for distance settings.

My system sounds great, but like others on this site, we are always looking for better. I wonder if some of us will ever be satisfied.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page