Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me finish setting up my system.

So i finally finished setting up my new system. (S 608 HCS 3 )

I sit 2.7m away from front stage (65'' and 2 tower speakers) , and the 2 tower speakers are 2m wide apart from each other. Is it better to make room to widen them apart exactly the same distance that i am sitting away from them ? (I heard it should form an equilateral triangle from where i sit to them).
They are both pointing a little bit on the out of my shoulders.
Treble tone is set at +2dB.

As for the rear speakers they are a little bit behind my seating position mounted a few inches above my ears and pointing at the back of my couch.

As for the subwoofer , it is positioned at the front left corner a few inches beside my left front tower speaker.

Everything is set to small @ 80hz. I calibrated all speakers with a basic SPL meter and as for the bass i calibrated it by ear so that it matches the volume of all the speakers , so it sounds very balanced. Subwoofer's dial is at about 10 o'clock position and subwoofer avr trim level at +4dB.

Any help and recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post
So i finally finished setting up my new system. (S 608 HCS 3 )

I sit 2.7m away from front stage (65'' and 2 tower speakers) , and the 2 tower speakers are 2m wide apart from each other. Is it better to make room to widen them apart exactly the same distance that i am sitting away from them ? (I heard it should form an equilateral triangle from where i sit to them).
They are both pointing a little bit on the out of my shoulders.
Treble tone is set at +2dB.

As for the rear speakers they are a little bit behind my seating position mounted a few inches above my ears and pointing at the back of my couch.

As for the subwoofer , it is positioned at the front left corner a few inches beside my left front tower speaker.

Everything is set to small @ 80hz. I calibrated all speakers with a basic SPL meter and as for the bass i calibrated it by ear so that it matches the volume of all the speakers , so it sounds very balanced. Subwoofer's dial is at about 10 o'clock position and subwoofer avr trim level at +4dB.

Any help and recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks !
I would want the main front speakers set so that they operate down to around 50 Hz, or just set for full range.

The subwoofer should be set to operate only below 50 hz.

You are using only your subwoofer below 80 Hz right now, and that takes a lot away from your main speakers and is not good IMO.

You should try moving the main speakers a little further apart and see how it sounds.

You also should try moving them a bit further from the back wall if possible, and experiment with that.

Just a few inches can sometimes make a world of difference, but you have to be patient and experiment and listen carefully.

I also find that speakers should be pointed straight ahead and not "toed-in" toward the center for best results.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
I would want the main front speakers set so that they operate down to around 50 Hz, or just set for full range.

The subwoofer should be set to operate only below 50 hz.

You are using only your subwoofer below 80 Hz right now, and that takes a lot away from your main speakers and is not good IMO.

You should try moving the main speakers a little further apart and see how it sounds.

You also should try moving them a bit further from the back wall if possible, and experiment with that.

Just a few inches can sometimes make a world of difference, but you have to be patient and experiment and listen carefully.

I also find that speakers should be pointed straight ahead and not "toed-in" toward the center for best results.
So how should i set my system if i want my fronts go play down to 50hz and from 50hz and below to the subwoofer ?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 517
The toe-in is speaker dependent. Some speakers sound better toed in and others maybe not. I haven't heard of any speakers that do not benefit from toe-in.

And yes, the subwoofer absolutely should be set to crossover at 80 Hz. Your sub will likely be able to handle upper bass much better than the mains. Leave it at 80 Hz. There are only a few scenarios where it should be lower than 80.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
The toe-in is speaker dependent. Some speakers sound better toed in and others maybe not. I haven't heard of any speakers that do not benefit from toe-in.

And yes, the subwoofer absolutely should be set to crossover at 80 Hz. Your sub will likely be able to handle upper bass much better than the mains. Leave it at 80 Hz. There are only a few scenarios where it should be lower than 80.
Fine. I'll leave it as it is. What about the distance of how much the front speakers are wide from each other ?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 517
The ideal is for the front speakers to form an equilateral triangle with respect to the listening position. This may be modified if the listening position spreads over a wider area.

So the width of the speakers from each other should be determined by the distance they are from your listening position.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page