Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setup ideas for new house

Hi guys,
So my wife and I have taken the plunge and purchased our first home. It is a new home, that is still being built, but I am already thinking about what kind of setup would be optimal for the living room. It is an open room with minimal walls. We have decided to budget to roughly $2000 for a tv and a sound system. I prefer a minimalist look, but I worry with a soundbar and the room being open that I won't be impressed. It's still early as we wont be able to move in till October, but I am trying to get an idea of what direction to head in. I have been searching the forums and reading up on everything that I can. Any help pr guidance would be much appreciated. Also if you have any recommendations on tv's that would be great. I have been reading reviews and the vizio M-series seems to be pretty good. I have uploaded the floorplan to give you guys a better idea. I believe the house comes prewired over the fireplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14380_flp1_lg.gif
Views:	15
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	161370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
We have decided to budget to roughly $2000 for a tv and a sound system. I prefer a minimalist look, but I worry with a soundbar and the room being open that I won't be impressed.
I assume that you are going to have at least a 50" LCD, so there goes at least $700 for the TV and $100 for the wall mount - that leaves $1200 for sound.

Quote:
Also if you have any recommendations on tv's that would be great. I have been reading reviews and the vizio M-series seems to be pretty good.
I am by no means a video expert, but I have seen more problems with Vizio TVs than any other brand. My Father alone has had three of them and had problems with each one - sound issues, video issues, a bad digital audio output - and he keeps buying them. I don't even think they have good picture or viewing angle.

Speaking of viewing angle, if you are going to put your TV above your fireplace, MAKE SURE you check the downward viewing angle on every set you are considering, some of them have issues when viewed from below - or consider a mount that angles down (but these don't have the "minimalist look").

I would recommend LG, Samsung, Sharp and even Sony before Vizio - even if they cost $100 more for the same features.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Hi guys,
So my wife and I have taken the plunge and purchased our first home. It is a new home, that is still being built, but I am already thinking about what kind of setup would be optimal for the living room. It is an open room with minimal walls. We have decided to budget to roughly $2000 for a tv and a sound system. I prefer a minimalist look, but I worry with a soundbar and the room being open that I won't be impressed. It's still early as we wont be able to move in till October, but I am trying to get an idea of what direction to head in. I have been searching the forums and reading up on everything that I can. Any help pr guidance would be much appreciated. Also if you have any recommendations on tv's that would be great. I have been reading reviews and the vizio M-series seems to be pretty good. I have uploaded the floorplan to give you guys a better idea. I believe the house comes prewired over the fireplace.
If you are going to do something that takes wiring, be sure to get the wire in before the drywall.

I'd set aside at least 8 square feet of wall space for network equipment near the point where utility cables enter the house. The usual convention is to mount a piece of 3/4" plywood there for screwing down network and cable gear.

At the minimum, run two parallel runs of CAT 5E or CAT 6 and 1 run of RG6 coax from there to every room in the house with any significance. Bedrooms, kitchen, family room, and living room for sure. Depending on electrical code where you live, any wiring in the wall should be CL2 or CL3 rated. The wire need not be terminated or even pulled through an opening in the wall until needed. Just know where the ends are coiled up inside the walls.

Last edited by arnyk; 07-15-2014 at 02:28 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We have decided to budget to roughly $2000 for a tv and a sound system. I prefer a minimalist look, but I worry with a soundbar and the room being open that I won't be impressed.
In my opinion, a soundbar only has about 10 - 20% better sound than TV speakers (unless you get a really great one with wireless sub which you may not have the budget for) and as you said it may not fill that large open space with sound.

First, you will need an AVR to decode your Blu-ray player's surround output and to power your speakers

DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready - $110 plus shipping
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...d-ready/1.html

The true minimalist look is in-wall speakers, but I don't know if you have room on the sides of your TV or are willing to go to the extra work to frame for a horizontal center under or above the TV. That leaves on-wall speakers - which are a good trade off between standard speakers and in-wall both performance wise and that minimalist look.

There are integrated 3.0 front speakers that look like a sound bar but are actually all three front speakers in one driven by an AVR which will give you more sound and more control

BOSTON ACOUSTICS P400 On-Wall 3-Channel Speaker Black - $330 plus shipping
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-black/1.html#

There are also separate LCR (left / center / right) speakers - more visible than n-wall speakers but more sound into the room.

BOSTON ACOUSTICS P442 LCR (Left,Right,Center) Speaker Black - $600 for 3 of these - left, center, and right mounted on the wall around the TV
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

With either of these, I would recommend some in-wall speakers in the ceiling to the sides of the primary listening position as you don't have side walls directly to the sides - or you can use some small satalitte speakers mounted on ceiling mounts in those locations.

Add the best budget sub that your budget allows (Dayton sub for about $150) ans you are done. It would be best if your builder could add a conduit from your equipment location to behind your TV for cable, HDMI, and speaker wires to be run - the TV will hide the wires going to the speakers.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

The on-wall LCR's would look something like this:

Also have your builder install surround speaker wires from your equipment location (where the AVR and Blu-ray player are located) to the in-ceiling locations so the surrounds can be installed when complete.

In-wall speakers have quality drivers, but most of them don't have built in enclosures - so the same amount of sound going into the room also goes into the attic or wall which makes the sound "muddy" and vibrates everything so the sound can be heard in adjacent rooms.

If you want in-wall speakers to sound good, you either need in-walls with built-in enclosures (which are expensive) or enclose the space where you are mounting them with standard building materials yourself or have your builder do it.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

This is the sub I recommended:

Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer - $129 plus shipping
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-629

With the three LCR on-wall ($600), AVR ($150 with shipping), and subwoofer ($150 with ship) - that would leave about $300 for in-wall speakers and wire, etc.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your responses. I am looking for a 60". I really do like that boston acoustics speaker bar, but my worry is with that is how could i hide the avr. Hmmm the more I research and look into this I am debating on just placing the tv on the wall to right of the fireplace. It would give me more room and options. The only downfall with that is that my builder is prewiring above the fireplace for a TV. I don't think they will change it as, according to them they have to build the house just like the models. I don't know if I would want to do the ceiling speakers right away. Would the speaker bar paired with a sub sound good?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I really do like that boston acoustics speaker bar, but my worry is with that is how could i hide the avr.
Where are you putting the cable / sat box and Blu-ray player? Seems like the house would be designed for equipment somewhere near the TV - almost nobody has a stand alone TV anymore especially in the living / family room.

Quote:
I don't know if I would want to do the ceiling speakers right away. Would the speaker bar paired with a sub sound good?
It probably would - the center and the fronts are the most important - you just won't have surround sound without surround speakers. I would get them pre-wired though as you may not be able to do it later (without removing drywall) and since those will be the most inexpensive speakers you won't be saving much.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page