5.2 now, 7.2 later - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5.2 now, 7.2 later

So, I have a new HT in progress of being built. I had pretty much decided placement, but as I was working on getting all the wiring in, I began to have serious reservations about side speaker placement, and thought I would reach out to the folks here that are much smarter than I.

Initially, this is a 5.2 setup as marked out largely in red X's in the attached diagram. That wiring is mostly in at this point. It has the down side of the rears not really being behind as such - they will be hung a bit high, but will be essentially overhead of the rear row of seats (2 rows total in a 4 front, 5 back configuration). The fronts are floor speakers. The two subs will be front left and rear right (essentially just to the right of the last row).

Initally, I was planning on putting the prewire for the sides into the front of the rear riser - just behind the ears of the front row, and a bit further and in front of the back row. I am now, however, thinking that's too close to the rears, and am looking for some input. The configuration looks like the attached file. I was initially going to place at the spot marked in blue as "A" (even with the rear of the first riser, and front edge of the 2nd and rear riser), but am now thinking that moving further away from the rears to B or even C makes more sense, and I'd like input from the much better educated crew here.

The green X's are fronts, center and rears. The red X's are subs. The room is roughly 15'x19', with the risers being 6' deep each.

Thoughts on where the side pre-wire should go? It will likely be 6 months to a year before I actually add sides, but want to make the right prewire now before the finish work is done in the room.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72SpeakerPlacement.png
Views:	31
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	161817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
For a 5.1 set-up, your Surround speakers are fine in the back corners of the room.

For a 7.1 set-up, I would put the Side speakers directly to the sides of the front row and spread the Rear speakers roughly 60 degrees apart on the back wall.

Also, reconsider your subwoofer placement. I would put them at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of room width on the front wall.

Sanjay
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
For a 5.1 set-up, your Surround speakers are fine in the back corners of the room.
I didn't really see another option there, but the affirmation is appreciated.

Quote:
For a 7.1 set-up, I would put the Side speakers directly to the sides of the front row and spread the Rear speakers roughly 60 degrees apart on the back wall.
Can you clarify the 60 degree placement on the rears? I'm not sure what you're getting at with the change there.

Quote:
Also, reconsider your subwoofer placement. I would put them at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of room width on the front wall.
A couple of issues there:
  • The door will be almost immediately to the right of the right hand sub if I do that - very uneven sound I would think. That said, I'm wiring for all four corners on the subs (and can move further with enough speaker wire - power isn't an issue).
  • The screen is up front, with a console below, and the fronts to either side. I'm not sure I have enough room for both subs up there too (the front left one offsets where the door swing is on the right.

Like I said though, that part is wired all around, so I can move it around and try it in all places. I'll give it a go with as close to the ¼-¾ placement as possible, and see what I wind up with - it actually would make things easier on the back row of seats.

Separate question: I have some sconces at mid-row in each tier, so I'm going to be dodging those a bit. I have roughly a 10' ceiling to work with - thoughts on how high to place the sides?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicness View Post
Can you clarify the 60 degree placement on the rears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicness View Post
I have roughly a 10' ceiling to work with - thoughts on how high to place the sides?
Couple feet above ear level or high enough that guests don't bang their heads.

Sanjay
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - this is helpful. It sounds like I should move my rears inward just a bit in terms of where they are wired on the wall. If I'm gleaning the 60 deg item, I'm taking it as 90+60=150 in the drawing. With this in mind, on the roughly 15' width, I'll put the wiring (due to be covered tomorrow) in a spot where I can hang the speaker to the outside of the wire for 5.1 placement, and to the inside of the wire for 7.1. I'll have to move the hangar when I go 7.1, but that can be dealt with. For the sides, I have a sconce to deal with right about where you're suggesting - I'll need to think through whether I want to be below the sconces (messing with the light) or to move the speaker a bit forward or back of directly to the side of the front row.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page