FLAC Clarification - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
FLAC Clarification

Hi guys, i just created an account here just for this question.

Is there a benefit from ripping a cd to flac in terms of sound quality? I've read other forums and they are claiming it does improve sound quality.

But i thought once a file for example mp3 even if you convert it to flac, the quality does not improve.

I tried using free softwares to rip to flac but i cant discern any improvement.

So, is there any advantages in ripping to flac in terms of sound quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 302
FLAC is a loss-less scheme but cannot give back what is not there. Filters can change the frequency content and interpolate between samples in time and amplitude but that happens after FLAC. The main advantage ripping to FLAC is you get some compression (smaller file size) without sacrificing the quality you started with.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
FLAC is a loss-less scheme but cannot give back what is not there. Filters can change the frequency content and interpolate between samples in time and amplitude but that happens after FLAC. The main advantage ripping to FLAC is you get some compression (smaller file size) without sacrificing the quality you started with.
Thank you. So my question now is? How do you improve a quality of a track? I listen to some old songs and the quality is bad because recording wasnt good back then. I was looking to make them clearer
Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Generally, most people have a hard time distinguishing high bitrate lossy compressions (MP3 with recent LAME encoding, AAC as encoded by iTunes and similar compression schemes) from lossless. They become much harder to distinguish once the bit rate gets above 192kbps, and and very few people could distinguish above 320 kbps, unless they can pick up on a very specific compression characteristic. So, if you're comparing, say, a 256kbps MP3 or AAC with a lossless file, most people would have a hard time distinguishing the two.

It's not stopping me from (slowly, as time permits) ripping my CDs as lossless, but that's more for some sort of "archival" purpose than feeling that it's absolutely necessary.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

So how do i make my audio files clearer?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibishibi View Post
if your files are low bit rate mp3's made from poor recordings there is nothing you can do to make them better. Junk is junk and there is no fixin poorly made mp3's.

you need to start with a quality recording (most cd's are made pretty well) and convert them to flac or high bit rate mp3's (or AAC is you are into apple). My MP3 files are 320 kbps using LAME. All my CD's are also stored on my USB HD in flac form and i convert these files to high bit rate mp3's for mobile listening. Home listening is all flac all the time.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:

Is there a benefit from ripping a cd to flac in terms of sound quality?
Absolutely not. The only advantage that FLAC's author and any other knowlegeable person has claimed is better space utilization and better tagging facilities than .wav.

Quote:
I've read other forums and they are claiming it does improve sound quality.
Some people will say (and believe) anything.

Quote:
But i thought once a file for example mp3 even if you convert it to flac, the quality does not improve.
You are right as rain about that.

Quote:
I tried using free softwares to rip to flac but i cant discern any improvement.
Comparisons like this need to be done properly such as with the ABX plug in to the FOOBAR2000 digital music player, but if you use good procedures to compare FALC to .WAV there is no difference to hear at all.

Quote:
So, is there any advantages in ripping to flac in terms of sound quality?
None! Zero! Zip!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:

Start with clearer files in the first place. You can't replace what isn't there.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Is there a benefit from ripping a cd to flac in terms of sound quality? I've read other forums and they are claiming it does improve sound quality.
Well if it was on the Internet is must be true . Just amazing what gets said on the internet and whats even more amazing is that these people believe beyond a shadow of a doubt what they are saying to be true!

Disk space is cheap now a days, best to rip in FLAC...as others have said, it won't improve quality, but it won't lose quality either. Even high bit rate MP3 loses quality and while many will say you can't hear the difference between high quality MP3 and FLAC, I think a lot of people forget about our other senses that are used while listening to music...there's a reason you feel bass more than you hear it!

Even with a high bitrate rip using MP3 how do you know the stuff that gets thrown out isn't something you would have heard, sense, seen, or felt if those pieces had been left in?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 101
When knowledgable people say that flac is better quality, they just mean compared to lossy compression, like mp3. As has already been said, it can't improve quality after the quality has already been degraded (by lossy compression or otherwise).
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 302
If you want to improve the quality of what you have, then get a program that performs signal processing like equalization and noise reduction. I don't generally "do" ripping so can't help with that (I do use some DAW SW but that is not targeted for this application and some of it is rather user-hostile).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
How do you improve a quality of a track?
you don't

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Depends on what is wrong with them. Do you have a way to provide us one of them?

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"