Speaker placement debacle, what should I do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-21-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker placement debacle, what should I do?

I'm setting up my first HT, the placement of the front bookshelf speakers has been an issue.

There is a cutout in the room where he doorway is, and if I place the front speakers at ear level, on either side if the screen, the right speaker will be playing into the little corner cutout. I assume this would not be good. So what can I do?

A) do I move the front speakers about three feet closer, and mount it on the side of where the closet is (refer to pics), I could angle it to face the audience.

B) do I angle it inward from the side if the screen to face the audience, so it doesn't play into that cutout space, on the front wall where is should

C) should I reduce the screen size so the front right speaker will not be playing into the cutout space?

Let me know if this doesn't make sense...

Sry for the crappy pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	173273  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Having a speaker behind the door seems problematic and in the door cutout will almost certainly change the way that speaker sounds from the listening position - even if it is toed in toward the listener - which it should be.

Can you just move the screen position a little to the left so that the screen is centered between the left wall and the edge of the door when open? Then both speakers would be a similar distance from respective side walls and I would think it would look more symmetrical - especially with the door open.

The other option would be to place all three speakers across the front at the same height below the screen at the L and R corners and angle them upward (like the center speaker?) - you could even use three identical speakers in the same orientation which is a good thing. What angle would that put the L/R front speakers at from the listening position? (they are supposed to be 30 to 45 degrees).

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Having a speaker behind the door seems problematic and in the door cutout will almost certainly change the way that speaker sounds from the listening position - even if it is toed in toward the listener - which it should be.

Can you just move the screen position a little to the left so that the screen is centered between the left wall and the edge of the door when open? Then both speakers would be a similar distance from respective side walls and I would think it would look more symmetrical - especially with the door open.

The other option would be to place all three speakers across the front at the same height below the screen at the L and R corners and angle them upward (like the center speaker?) - you could even use three identical speakers in the same orientation which is a good thing. What angle would that put the L/R front speakers at from the listening position? (they are supposed to be 30 to 45 degrees).
If I move the screen left, there isn't enough room for the left speaker without interfering with the image. There Is about 6inches space between the end if the screen! and the door when it's open! but my speaker won't fit! I think it's 7in. What I'll prob end up doing is reducing the screen size like two inches so I will have a tad More room on the side, and I'll toe the speaker inward towards the audience. If the sound is still going into the dead space, I guess I could try what you said and put all three on bottom.

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 330
You may want to think about putting the speakers on stands. Easier to adjust and move around depending when in use or not, etc.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

The other option would be to place all three speakers across the front at the same height below the screen at the L and R corners and angle them upward (like the center speaker?) - you could even use three identical speakers in the same orientation which is a good thing.

That is the best and easiest solution to the problem!
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page