Do good cables make an audible difference in sound? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 203Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 3870
Do good cables make an audible difference in sound?

On another site this was presented as a poll.

The results came back:

528 to 24 that cables make an audible difference.

Test results were submitted, among them this:

Loudspeakers: Effects of amplifiers and cables

Latter in the thread it was noted that here at AVS the results of such a poll would likely be reversed.

Why is that?

From the link above, it seems to support the idea that cable do make a difference. Why no agreement across the audio enthusiast world?

These measurements seem to suggest cables matter.
amirm and David Susilo like this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Oh my!!!

Here we go again!

IMHO... read the responses, consider the polls/opinions and test for yourself.

The question has been discussed/debated/argued/"proven"/"tested"/measured and everything else to try to convert everyone to one side or the other.

Buy what you think is best for YOUR system and enjoy.

I personally don't care how much or how little anyone invests in wires/cables.
post #3 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Oh my!!!

Buy what you think is best for YOUR system and enjoy.
I like this response a lot.

The purpose for my post/thread is because I don't believe in the magic of wire but with such compelling arguments it's worth hearing a rebuttal to all the positive comments and submitted tests.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #4 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Oh no !

This may be one of the most pointlessly contested items on the internet. I'm a ham, so we deal with frequencies way higher than audio.

I believe in "heater" rated zip cord, it is thicker and has nicer copper. You don' t need the massive stuff.

Wiring becomes problematic around 800 mhz, not 18,000 hz. Your hearing, your room acoustics, and the quality of the recording played back will have a greater effect on your net sound than wires. If your system and the specially built room for it cost more than most good Italian sports cars, then I may be wrong, but those with less than ideal installs (everyone else) won't notice. I'd spend the money on better speakers.

Still there is a limited market for $10,000 inteconnects for the high end home theater guy.

Some folks use coax radio cable for a speaker. No one is getting hurt. If you do a car stereo install, a lot of times the provided wire is trash, but beyond that, heater rated zip cord at the hardware store is a good bet. I have some of the small Monster Cable (it was on sale) and it looks just like my Ace hardware heater cord.

/asbestos suit !

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.

Last edited by speedlaw; 07-22-2014 at 08:37 AM.
post #5 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
On another site this was presented as a poll.

The results came back:

528 to 24 that cables make an audible difference.

Test results were submitted, among them this:

Loudspeakers: Effects of amplifiers and cables

Latter in the thread it was noted that here at AVS the results of such a poll would likely be reversed.

Why is that?
Reliable science versus public opinion.

Quote:
From the link above, it seems to support the idea that cable do make a difference. Why no agreement across the audio enthusiast world?
Reliable science versus public opinion.

Quote:
These measurements seem to suggest cables matter.
Cables matter. Their length is all-important. Make them a little shorter than the distance between the components and see what happens!

The tests share a number of serious problems. They are test equipment tests, not reliable listening tests. Such listening evaluations that are mentioined seem to lack any bias controls. They involved things like 150 foot long (50 meter) speaker cables which are not exactly common in listening rooms.

It's no trick to show measured test results that could raise the hair on the back of many people's necks, and subsequently prove that they hear no difference in a proper listening test.
repete66211 likes this.

Last edited by arnyk; 07-22-2014 at 08:45 AM.
post #6 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes, No, Maybe...

or

No, Yes, Possibly...

A bad piece of 24g speaker wire may sound different than a good piece of 12g speaker wire. This may be due to the type of wire, the type of insulation, the type of shielding, RF interference, and a bunch of other stuff that may OR may not have any audible affects.

However, if a straightened out metal coat hanger can carry an audible signal, then pretty much anything can.

Better is in the eye of the beholder, and as the old adage goes, "A fool and his money are soon parted".
post #7 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cables matter. Their length is all-important. Make them a little shorter than the distance between the components and see what happens!
lol

I expected a little more detail from you in refuting the submitted test results though.
amirm likes this.

post #8 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The purpose for my post/thread is because I don't believe in the magic of wire but with such compelling arguments it's worth hearing a rebuttal to all the positive comments and submitted tests.

Points for honesty. Most trolls don't admit they're trolling.

Go to a forum for evangelical Christians, and ask their opinion on evolution. The results won't surprise you.

As for that "study," (actually a tendentious report about a study), I see a lot of handwaving. I don't see a lot of objective listening tests, nor do I see any measurements that we can map to known audibility thresholds.
Ratman, repete66211 and Boxozaxu like this.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #9 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Why is that?

Right answer is, pick the forum that you feel the best with and "marry" it.
post #10 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Points for honesty. Most trolls don't admit they're trolling.
Please leave this thread or stop antagonizing.

Thanks

post #11 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post
Right answer is, pick the forum that you feel the best with and "marry" it.
i could not disagree more.

intellectual curiosity is what has always propelled the self and society

you only unite behind a flag when threatened for self preservation or you do you and your an injustice.

a bit philosophical but your reply inspired it
amirm, David Susilo and cardoski like this.

post #12 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been into the High End audio for awhile, so I say to a point cables make a difference, how much is debateable, and with some of the newer formats of audio encoding the differences are likely less..
So this question will probably go on forever without a firm conclusion!!
post #13 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
The tests share a number of serious problems. They are test equipment tests, not reliable listening tests. Such listening evaluations that are mentioined seem to lack any bias controls. They involved things like 150 foot long (50 meter) speaker cables which are not exactly common in listening rooms.

It's no trick to show measured test results that could raise the hair on the back of many people's necks, and subsequently prove that they hear no difference in a proper listening test.
thanks

but if they measure different on test equipment can't we look further to see how this translates?

is that not reasonable?

post #14 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Please provide your technical analysis, measurements and personal opinions of the wires/cables YOU have tested.

Do you have wires/cables you are considering for purchase or just stirring the pot?

With all of the numerous forums on the net and the numerous threads here at AVS on this subject, you should be able to separate the wheat from the chaff to make an informed purchasing decision/choice.

Or... just go on "faith" and use/purchase what everyone says is best and avoid what everyone says measures/sounds bad.
post #15 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Do you have wires/cables you are considering for purchase or just stirring the pot?

With all of the numerous forums on the net and the numerous threads here at AVS on this subject, you should be able to separate the wheat from the chaff to make an informed purchasing decision/choice.
But some people have too much free time on their hands.
post #16 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
All that matters is that you select the proper gauge based on the distance of your run.

This is an excellent article, most of which you can skip. Just look at "Table 1. Recommended Cable Distances vs Gauge".

Pick the proper gauge and you'll be set. No need to fall for the marketing hokum from speaker wire snake oil salesmen.
almadacr, MemX and gman1217 like this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #17 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 155
To the OP - there are hundreds of threads on this and other forums about wire and cables. You can cut to the chase and save yourself a lot of time by reading through those. Nothing has changed recently that warrants yet another one of these threads.
post #18 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Please provide your technical analysis, measurements and personal opinions of the wires/cables YOU have tested.

Or... just go on "faith" and use/purchase what everyone says is best and avoid what everyone says measures/sounds bad.
Speaking strictly for myself, I listen to music. That's it.

I have never tested anything in audio nor ever intend to. I guess that's why I like these threads. I use the work done by other to optimize my choices in audio.

DEmanding tests and the like from a poster simply sharing his opinion is a bit aggressive, no?

and another thing, I hear this generic mantra that all wires are created equal but when you get upclose it changes. Speaker wire gauge becomes important depending on the run, XLR connectors are not all the same, RCA basically sucks as a inter connector, shielding and insulation...

seems to me the simple "all wires are the same" mantra can seriously mislead

I'd like to see a simple user guide (for wires) somewhere that one could reference for his own circumstance. seems to me the connectors are forgotten about in the conversation also

thoughts?

post #19 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If cables have certain electrical characteristics, such as significant capacitance or inductance they can effect the frequency response. I would call those bad cables, but I don't have reason to believe it's a common issue. The primary characteristic of cables is resistance, and that should not effect the sound except to create a voltage drop. The voltage drop would effect the signal uniformly.

Perhaps better shielding on some cables helps? I am not sure on that one.

For speaker cables, make sure the gauge is sufficient, or it could effect the frequency response.

Otherwise I don't know why cables would otherwise make a difference in sound. I guess it's a matter of whether you believe the scientists/engineers or the audio press. As some people have said, do what makes you happy and doesn't break the bank. The endless debates on such things seem to accomplish nothing except to create drama where none is needed. It's just audio!
eljr likes this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #20 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post
But some people have too much free time on their hands.
so i am supposed to apologize for having put myself in a position of having lots of free time?

lol

dude, you should be so lucky (it's not really luck)

post #21 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Let's cut to the chase...

Are there specific speaker wires or audio cables that you are considering for purchase? If so, provide the info and the people with personal experience that own those products can provide input. Otherwise... this is a waste of time and will only generate (more) animosity.
post #22 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Let's cut to the chase...

Are there specific speaker wires or audio cables that you are considering for purchase? If so, provide the info and the people with personal experience that own those products can provide input. Otherwise... this is a waste of time and will only generate (more) animosity.
i have some audioquest and Kimber in my cart for about a month now but continue to vacillate. Nothing at all to do with this thread.

From reading here and being who I am I have never spent money on cables. I decided to get some just for visual symmetry and neatness in my own minds eye.

Then recently I started reading the "fine print" (as I speak to above) Then I watch a video on Audioholics who also say all wires are the same but avoid so and so and this and that is better! (fine print)

anyway, i have no arterial motive for starting the thread, just some time an curiosity

post #23 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Do wires affect the sound of audio? Basically, no. Do audiophiles hear differences in audio due to wires? Basically, yes. If those audiophiles engaged in bias controlled listening tests those differences would disappear. Hearing bias is amazingly strong.
post #24 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 735
To the topic of listening tests, who here has performed one and is willing to document the protocol and results? I think we would all learn a lot from such work. Who wants to go first?
post #25 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I decided to get some just for visual symmetry and neatness in my own minds eye.
That'a a valid enough reason. I do admit that high end cables and interconnects look really nice. They don't make a damn bit of difference to the audio, but they sure to make the whole setup look good.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #26 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
The devil is in the details!

It's not that difficult at all to demonstrate differences in electrical performance between cables. You need to understand / analyze the magnitude of the result. In many cases it's negligible in relation to the reproduced audio.
Garidy likes this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #27 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Otherwise I don't know why cables would otherwise make a difference in sound. I guess it's a matter of whether you believe the scientists/engineers or the audio press.
Thanks for the post. The article that OP is asking for comment on though is from EETimes which is the a technical journal (now online) for engineers as the name implies. It is not audio press. Here are the credentials of the people who wrote that article:

----------

About the Authors
Philip Newell is an international consultant on acoustic design, and former technical director of Virgin Records. He has over 30 years experience in the recording industry and has been involved in the design of over 200 studios, including the famous Manor and Townhouse Studios. He is also author of Project Studios, Recording Spaces and Studio Monitoring Design, all published by Focal Press.

Keith Holland, PhD in Acoustics, is a member of the Institute of Acoustics and a lecturer in electro-acoustics at the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, University of Southampton.

Printed with permission from Focal Press, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2007. "Loudspeakers: For Music Recording and Reproduction" by Philip Newell and Keith Holland. For more information about this title, please visit www.focalpress.com.

-------------------

Personally I wouldn't call them "electrical engineers" but they are not the typical audio press either.

I have not read their article in detail so would appreciate those who have outlining what they are saying in detail and why that is incorrect.
post #28 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Fwiw, the best stereo system I have heard in a home used monoprice speaker cables and I believe monoprice interconnects. It bested another system that had very expensive cables with cable elevators etc. go figure.
Ratman and SMHarman like this.
post #29 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Oh and keep this in mind too:

Most of us know that a 25 foot 24ga speaker wire will not sound as good as a 14ga 25 foot speaker wire (at 8 ohms). - No argument there.

But does a 6 foot $4000 Audioquest speaker wire sound any different than a 6 foot extension cord with the ends cut off? Does it show any measurable differences at audio frequencies in a typical listening environment?

Are they testing generic wire against audiophile wire or just reporting on the overall deficiencies of all wire?

In glancing through the article I see some tests of RFI performance with speaker wire. Well, what is the RFI source? Because most people don't have high power RF sources near their system location. If you do, then shielded speaker wires may be needed, but this is an exception and should not be the general rule of thumb - just one example.

So just tread carefully before jumping to conclusions based on this article. Yes, it does seem to be from respectable sources, not some audiophile rag, so you need to fully understand the data being presented as it is complex.
eljr and Transmaniacon like this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Last edited by Glimmie; 07-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.
post #30 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Fwiw, the best stereo system I have heard in a home used monoprice speaker cables and I believe monoprice interconnects. It bested another system that had very expensive cables with cable elevators etc. go figure.

That suggests very strongly that the person with Monoprice knew more about how to assemble a good system than the person who bought the cable elevators. It would be wrong to extrapolate from this single example, however.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page