post #31 of 39 Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post
Currently, I am using two pairs BIC's. One pair for the front porch/Carport, the second pair for the immediate backyard.

I am going to install two new pairs for this project. Two facing North, two facing south.

The wellhouse is 4'x4'. I am going to install them in the four corners, and am debating, if I want to make a 'swivel hinge' or just mount them flat. They come with a mounting bracket that will allow angling, but if I build a swivel hinge, then I would have more flexibility. However, my main goal for this immediate project is getting the wiring out there. I will worry about the specifics of mounting, after that.

The reason I mention that, is that is WHY I am running 8 wires, 2 four gangs.

The BIC's under the carport, are actually a bit too much. I may switch those out for something else, but that is not an immediate project.

To 'CharlesJ'. Is landscape wiring the same as direct burial? I see that it can be buried, but I am not sure if there are any other rules about landscape lighting that I am not aware of.

I appreciate everyone's interest, and thank you for your help.
Okay, I get it. I now understand your concern about the cost of cable. However, the fact remains: there is no substitute for direct burial cable that is the same or less cost that does not have some sort of potential of problems later on. Period, end of story. So, no offense, but you probably need to move on from there.

As to gauge, several of the reviews on Amazon mentioned that the BICs are 6 ohm. Therefore in my personal opinion, if it were me, 14 gauge would be minimum.

Your AVR has plenty of output so that's not an issue. But you will lose some output at your selector switch. Therefore, that with 6 ohm speakers, I'd be looking at 12 gauge, direct burial.

If all of that is still cost prohibitive, consider one speaker facing north, one facing south.

Best I can do for ya man. Keep us posted.
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-26-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post
To 'CharlesJ'. Is landscape wiring the same as direct burial? I see that it can be buried, but I am not sure if there are any other rules about landscape lighting that I am not aware of.

I appreciate everyone's interest, and thank you for your help.
Yes, it is direct burial. And what I used and and have seen is high strand count and copper. And, not that expensive.
post #33 of 39 Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 215
One thing we may be losing sight of here is the overall application.

These are patio speakers! Even if there is some minor sound degradation from the long wires, who cares? If you want to do critical listening, an outside patio is hardly the place.
popalock and Skytrooper like this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #34 of 39 Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

These are patio speakers! Even if there is some minor sound degradation from the long wires, who cares? If you want to do critical listening, an outside patio is hardly the place.
Right but if you're gonna dig a trench and 16 ga. is 10% cheaper (making that up) than say 12 ga and you know that larger gauge wire is easier on your amp, why the hell not spend the extra 10%? For me, its a piece of mind thing, knowing I did the job right.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #35 of 39 Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Right but if you're gonna dig a trench and 16 ga. is 10% cheaper (making that up) than say 12 ga and you know that larger gauge wire is easier on your amp, why the hell not spend the extra 10%? For me, its a piece of mind thing, knowing I did the job right.
Going from 16 ga to 12 ga is more than double the price.
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/dir...aker-wire/1623

Belden 100ft of 16 ga is 45.47; 12 ga is 109.98

eta. 100ft of 16ga is about 20bucks, if one just wants to try it out before buying the expensive stuff.

Last edited by koturban; 07-28-2014 at 01:44 PM.
post #36 of 39 Old 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Just use that link I provided earlier. Remember the simple rule of thumb that every 3db you drop, you would need to double your power to reach X level. 20awg over 100ft runs would "work" so would 6awg....haha.

Personally, I try to make decisions like these with the thought of future proofing as much as possible...hence my suggestion for a run of CAT6.

Who knows, there might be that "one" time you throw a party and have access to some monster speakers and power. What if you ever feel froggy and want to throw an outdoor sub in the mix down the road?

Scott Oakley likes this.
post #37 of 39 Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Have we heard from the OP lately?

And point taken on the price difference, 12 - 16 -thanks. I knew it was more than 10% but I was making a point as stated. I was in HomeDepot this morning and because of this thread, I checked out landscape wire (used for outdoor lighting, direct burial, stranded). A 100 foot roll 12 ga was $58. The difference between it and 16 was $20 and the 16 was appreciably thinner. So for me, the extra $20 or $40 (for 2 rolls) is more than worth it. I hate having to re-do things.
popalock likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #38 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry, I went MIA, on my own thread.

On Sunday, I got into my truck to price out stuff @ Home Depot, and my battery was dead. I tried jumping it, and then charging it, and then took it to Advance Auto, and it was dead, dead, dead. >4 cranking Amps.

I had to buy a new battery and that was about $120.

Anyway, the brake light sensor switch pad broke off. AA's cost was about $10. However, it didn't fit, so I had to go to the dealer. It only cost $7.70 w/tax, and took about 10 min to fix.

Time, energy, and effort...a litle less than $150, which happened to be my 14/4 direct burial speaker wire goal.

Soo, long story short, I have put this project off for a few weeks.

I am leaning heavily towards direct burial, and am beginning to think that I do not need the south facing pair of speakers. However, I only want to dig the trench once, so we'll see.

Thanks for everyone's input, and I will post back, once I begin...
post #39 of 39 Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

A swimming pool is a much better place to do critical listening. Kind of interesting how things sound when no walls or ceilings are involved.

A boom box is enough for me. No wiring involved!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page