First time using banana plugs. Help Please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First time using banana plugs. Help Please!

Hey Everyone,

So I am finally getting closer to my several month long setting up of my new theater room. I have yet to purchase a receiver and hope to get one within the next week (tl;dr: been waiting for 2 months for a decent deal on one in Canada). I haven't setup speakers in probably 10 years and at that time, it was just standard wire setups. When I looked at the back of the speakers I purchased, I realized it had different inputs and after a small bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that they are for "banana plugs"?

So I am wondering if someone could link me to a good guide or video for setting these cables up (I saw some but am unsure on which to follow). Also, I see there are some different types of banana plugs, does it matter which I choose and if so, why?

Any additional information you may be able to offer, I am all years and very grateful!

The speakers I purchased are:

The cable I purchased (please let me know if this is either wrong or just garbage): http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
You can probably still use bare wire, but banana connectors are convenient.

That wire is fine, I have used it with these banana connectors for my whole house audio system - just strip the wire, feed it up through the base, fold over the copper, and screw on the top crushing the wire - nice terminations

Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 6 pair - $18

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 07-23-2014 at 03:21 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Try monoprice.com. They even have videos that show how to use their banana plugs.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I got my nana's from Orange County Speaker. Good quality. The only thing I regret is I bought the locking ones. I really didn't need locking. They are a pain in the butt to use.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can use bare speaker wire. The connections are called, 'Binding Posts'. If you unscrew the red and black caps a little, you will see a hole in the metal stud. Feed the bare speaker wire through that and then tighten down the red and black caps until tight.

Banana plugs will plug directly into the back.

Here are some pix form Wiki.

Binding Post

Banana Plug

Make sure no stray wires touch, as this may cause a short.

Last edited by underminded999; 07-23-2014 at 06:15 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post
You can use bare speaker wire. The connections are called, 'Binding Posts'. If you unscrew the red and black caps a little, you will see a hole in the metal stud. Feed the bare speaker wire through that and then tighten down the red and black caps until tight.
Very true - bare wire makes a very simple, good connection and is actually preferred by many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post
Make sure no stray wires touch, as this may cause a short.
That is one of the primary reasons that people use banana terminated speaker wires in the first place. Connecting bare wire to the back of speakers, especially with those that have recessed binding posts, can be challenging without stray wires and shorts.

But that is nothing compared to the 10 speaker wire connections for a 5.1 system on the back of an AVR - they are so close together and most of us have to try to connect the wires while peering around to the back of the AVR - just use bananas and you will not have to worry about shorts or other issues.

Remember that if you bananas on both ends you will need 4 for each wire - so for a 5.1 system you will need 20

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page