Pre Wire Question - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roseval

post #1 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pre Wire Question

We are currently building a house and so my plan is to pre wire speakers all over the house and use the Sonos Amp systems. My thought process is to be using Multiple of them so we can control the Vol and different music in each room . Since the Sonos Amp controls the volume .... am I stupid to not wire up Volume controllers in each room? Thanks for any feedback you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliberGSD View Post
We are currently building a house and so my plan is to pre wire speakers all over the house and use the Sonos Amp systems. My thought process is to be using Multiple of them so we can control the Vol and different music in each room . Since the Sonos Amp controls the volume .... am I stupid to not wire up Volume controllers in each room? Thanks for any feedback you may have.
When you put wire in the wall, you don't necessarily have to fully terminate it. Coiling up 6 inches or more in a standard electrical box with a dummy plate at each end suffice.

When you prewire a house don't forget things like PC networking, telephone, and antenna (coax) wiring.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As far as I know, Sonos is a wireless system and you control the amps volume wireless.
Makes me wonder what you wish to "wire'
mtn-tech likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseval View Post
As far as I know, Sonos is a wireless system and you control the amps volume wireless.
Makes me wonder what you wish to "wire'
Sonos has Connect AMP's that you can use to hardwired speakers
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Sonos has Connect AMP's that you can use to hardwired speakers
That is true, but the Connect Amp is intended to wirelessly connect to the Sonos system and power a local pair of speakers - again, there wouldn't be any pre-wiring needed.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
That is true, but the Connect Amp is intended to wirelessly connect to the Sonos system and power a local pair of speakers - again, there wouldn't be any pre-wiring needed.
Would you not need to prewire a bit of A/C in that case?

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

How is there no prewire needed? I need to wire the in ceiling speakers? My question was about should I wire in vol controls.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
How is there no prewire needed? I need to wire the in ceiling speakers? My question was about should I wire in vol controls.
Yes you need to prewire the ceiling speakers.
You could run this through the wall together if you ever wanted a volume buy why complicate when you know what you want on the other end (sonos Amp)
post #9 of 10 Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Hey, I hear you!

I read your Post correctly.

You're not stupid, in choosing not to add runs of CAT5 for the SONOS System (it's optional), during your prewire of your home. This being said, you will need to run speaker wire from the amplifiers to the various speakers in the house. Take any path that seems the most efficient to you, as long as they all end up at the appropriate amplifiers and you don't run your speaker wire within 6''s of any home AC wiring (NEC requirement).

As previously pointed out, you can send the audio over Wi-Fi to the speakers; however, that would require you to supply sufficient AC drops for your speaker distribution (there is currently no such things as a wireless speaker). I recommend using speaker wire, it's cheaper.

Best of luck.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
The biggest advantage of Sonos, (and much of its expense) is eliminating the need for in-wall wiring, which is the situation for many who don't want to tear apart walls or fish wires after the fact. The advantage goes away when one has the opportunity to run wiring before the sheetrock is put up.

Have you considered some of the whole home audio equipment, such as Russound, HTD, or Nuvo Technologies? These systems will centralize most of your signal processing and amplification, not to mention eliminating having a Connect to deal with in each room. Your options for controlling the audio will also expand to both wireless and in-wall controllers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page