Should I wire for atmos? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Should I wire for atmos?

Hey, everyone. I am about to start drywall on my basement media room so I need to make the final speaker placement decisions. I have the LCR all set and I'm currently wired for 7.2. Right now it looks like I'm going to mount the rear surrounds in the ceiling just to the left and right of the listening position. They are JTR slant 8's with a 30 degree angle with part of the speaker sticking out. My ceiling is only 7"1'. My question is whether or not I should wire for atmos and where I should place the speakers if I do. I am thinking that with my ceiling height and rear surround placement that I may not get any benefit. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just a bit more info, I will be about 9 feet from the screen and the room will be 11 ft wide. Thanks!

post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Should I wire for Atmos?
Simply asking that question (while still in a good position to do something about it) should lead you to the right answer.

Does the convenience of saying "no" now outweigh the inconvenience of trying to do it later after you have it all buttoned up and change your mind?

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #4 of 4 Old 07-26-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 434
yes massive numbers of channels sounds simply awesome .. substantially better in small environments like a home compared to the theater.

do about 24 channels worth of wiring to account for whatever they finally release down the line.

Approx 20-30 channels will provide some seriously seamless coverage in a vast majority of rooms. You wouldn't even be able to tell where the speakers are.

If I did mine again, I would do more front speakers behind a bigger screen.

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat